Author Topic: After effects of longer Audaxes  (Read 5909 times)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Re: After effects of longer Audaxes
« Reply #25 on: 10 June, 2015, 04:09:02 pm »
I think that finding out what you can actually eat, once you've exceeded normal amounts your body is used to, is as big a part of the Audax "battle" as pedalling all that way.
If you don't eat enough then the Audax is basically over (or it will become a period of misery you will never forget*).

I can do sweet stuff up to a point but then my body just refuses it and I need to move to savoury.  It's no coincidence that Milkshakes, oft purchased from Service Station Garages, are so sought after.  It's an easily digested source of carbs and protein and your body knows what it wants.  I've recently started drinking skimmed milk from garages as well.

Skimmed milk is also my recovery drink of choice when I get home.  I can drink gallons of it so I think my body needs it.  Audax teaches you to listen to your body's cravings.  I was never truly hungry until I started Audaxing.

*Has anyone ever forgotten the times they truly "bonked"?
I can remember the precise places it happened and I can remember trying to shift into 1st gear on the flat, only to find I was already in 1st gear!.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #26 on: 10 June, 2015, 04:12:13 pm »
for me, and everyone else i assume, it's normal to feel fatigued after 300k+ audaxes for next few days, even if i try to maximise my sleep during the rides (or straight after). while riding fitness comes back after a day or two, general fatigue can be felt up to a week, or even two weeks after pbp and similar distance rides. i just eat and drink lots and it goes away.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #27 on: 10 June, 2015, 04:39:37 pm »
In my first SR series I suffered a true bonk on the National 400 (yes, unforgettable  :facepalm: ) and discovered that my body would not allow me to eat after a while.  On my first 600 ride I survived on liquids - mostly milk and orange juice (plus water obv) for most of the 2nd day.  Only at the final control was I able to actually eat something solid by discovering that drinking some water with it helped enormously.  The bonk on the 400 was just simply through not eating enough because I couldn't.

A couple of seasons later I don't suffer from this so much but it still lurks and it is definitely a dehydration issue, I still haven't won the battle as I always find lots of mental reasons not to eat my on-board rations while on the move but I'm learning.  I eat plenty on the Pair of Kirtons 600 at the weekend but still got dehydrated somewhat.

This lack of ability to eat does not extend beyond the ride and my appetite becomes MR GREEDY for several days after.  This is something I also need to work on.  :-[
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #28 on: 10 June, 2015, 05:57:43 pm »
What had you eaten, T42? It's very easy to get behind your carbohydrate needs with or without aspartame.

On the 300, can't remember.

On the 600 a banana sandwich for breakfast, a bit later a hot sausage roll, various bars, salami. Knock was quite a bit later, though: I thought I was OK with the drink.

I find ginger very easy to eat even through nausea, and the sugar is very fast. Doesn't last long, of course, but it gets your appetite started again.

One thing I've noticed is the necessity of something sweet after a meal. Eat a pizza or something meaty and digestion takes a toll on your calorie throughput: a fast-carb dessert bridges the slump and keeps you going.  I've noticed this on setting out from home as well: I have a breakfast of ham & pasta, and at around 10 km I need a marzipan bar or similar otherwise I start to flag.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #29 on: 10 June, 2015, 05:59:55 pm »
Eat the sweet before the less sweet thing - this works for me.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #30 on: 10 June, 2015, 09:15:22 pm »

One thing I've noticed is the necessity of something sweet after a meal. Eat a pizza or something meaty and digestion takes a toll on your calorie throughput: a fast-carb dessert bridges the slump and keeps you going.  I've noticed this on setting out from home as well: I have a breakfast of ham & pasta, and at around 10 km I need a marzipan bar or similar otherwise I start to flag.

sometimes on a ride if I have a decent proper meal I find I then need a gel bar afterwards to avoid feeling slightly light headed.

Re dehydration issues I can see now that if I`m dehydrated my body will have to deal with this before getting an appetite, lack of fluids being the more critical item. Interesting though how the longer distances have an affect on appetite, after Sam Wolma 200 I  ate a 14oz steak and could have eaten a second---easily  ;D After BCM 600 after finishing  I had a craving for a steak but on getting one found it difficult to eat and didn`t finish it or chips, probably because I felt so thirsty, dry mouth etc and all other symptoms dehydration

....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #31 on: 10 June, 2015, 09:31:52 pm »

Depends. If I'm eating before setting out the sweet thang would stand me on my ear - I need food in my stomach to cushion the sugar shock.  Halfway round an Audax, it'd probably be OK.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #32 on: 10 June, 2015, 09:33:57 pm »

+1
Have your dessert before your main course, or a cake in the queueueue for the food.

« Reply #33 on: 11 June, 2015, 10:59:36 am »
I have a twenty inch diameter loaded pizza the night before the ride. Its about 5000 kCals.
At approx. 35 miles per 1000, that’s a 200 taken care of and all I need is my usual BMR.

On a 300, I’ll stop ¾ way through and have cakes and meat savouries eaten alternately.

Mr Kipling mini Battenburgs and party pork pies.

« Reply #34 on: 12 June, 2015, 05:20:54 pm »
I have a twenty inch diameter loaded pizza the night before the ride. Its about 5000 kCals.
At approx. 35 miles per 1000, that’s a 200 taken care of and all I need is my usual BMR.

On a 300, I’ll stop ¾ way through and have cakes and meat savouries eaten alternately.

20" pizza  ::-) no idea such a thing existed ---wow some appetite, can I have one too  ;D
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #35 on: 12 June, 2015, 06:53:45 pm »

I'm all for a big meal the night before, but not sure the maths stack up. Of the 5000kCals which aren't used to top up glycogen will just turn to bodyfat anyhow, which you have plenty for any length of audax ride. So you probably would be fine physically with half that amount.

The pleasure in being able to pig out is priceless though... :)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #36 on: 12 June, 2015, 08:30:12 pm »
A friend of mine reckoned that he always rode his fastest 10 mile TTs a few days after a 600km ride.  I'm not sure if there is any science behind this but my 25 mile TT best was set a few days after finishing the Mille Miglia.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #37 on: 12 June, 2015, 10:22:46 pm »
A friend of mine reckoned that he always rode his fastest 10 mile TTs a few days after a 600km ride.  I'm not sure if there is any science behind this but my 25 mile TT best was set a few days after finishing the Mille Miglia.

I once did a PB on the club ten after a 600. 

If I had to eat a 20" pizza before a ride I think I'd take up tiddlywinks instead.  I'm not into grim food.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #38 on: 13 June, 2015, 08:37:58 am »
Back to the after-effects:

Always had trouble with saddles, always came back to the same one as hurting less than the others. Now, at 15 years old, it's too far gone.  It hurt most of the way round our late 600 although not for the last 100k, but I've had a dull ache in the crotch for the last 4-5 days which I think is prostatitis; and the doc does not disagree.

Legs are working again but I'm loth to straddle the same bike again, which I'll have to do to put a new saddle on.  LBS has an electronic-so-it-must-be-good saddle-fitting setup so I'll maybe have a go at that next week.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #39 on: 13 June, 2015, 10:25:12 am »
I did my first 600 2 weeks ago, although I didn't ride for a week afterwards, I now feel fitter and faster and the numbers (speed and HR) seem to back this up. Seem to a lost a few lbs too, all very positive after effects for me :)