Author Topic: round the world bike race  (Read 14892 times)

Re: round the world bike race
« Reply #25 on: 29 February, 2012, 01:43:28 pm »
Oh, I'd say so. Very much so.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #26 on: 29 February, 2012, 02:03:57 pm »
they are all Brits as far as I know, and all their routes must comply with Guinness Rules which do indeed allow for maximising mileage in some perhaps easier continents and missing out entire other continents
I note your route misses out Antarctica. Shocking.

(Riders missing out Asia and Africa as well seem to be missing the point, IMHO. This is what happens when you make a contest out of something, I suppose.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #27 on: 29 February, 2012, 02:10:25 pm »
Laid Back Rich: Very much so indeed.  That's a proper round the world route.  I like Mike Hall's effort, but he does a big U loop around America, which then allows him to fly from Ankara to India.  IMO, flying should be something you do when you meet water, not before.  Sean Conway's route goes to all six continents (that aren't Antarctica) which I suppose make it more adventurous and challenging, but it consequently looks quite bitsy.  Personally, I can take or leave the rest, but a global bike ride should include full crossings of Eurasia and America, which yours does.  That looks elegant to me :)

Mmmmmartin: The origin of the race was with Vin Cox, previous world record holder.  He knew that several people were planning record attempts, so decided to announce a race, rather like the old Sunday Times Golden Globe race.  For some reason that I don't know, this idea then folded and the riders (bar one) created their own race. 

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #28 on: 29 February, 2012, 02:13:26 pm »
by the way do you think my planned route is a genuine RTW "honest effort" and within the spirit?

http://laidbackaroundtheworld.blogspot.com/p/route.html

Yeah, your route is proper...I think you are the winner :)

« Reply #29 on: 29 February, 2012, 02:57:37 pm »
thanks for endorsement of my route  :)

Mike Hall has made his first route error... just tweeted Can't get to Greece this way, got to go back :-(

http://trackleaders.com/worldcycleracei.php?name=Mike_Hall

he is still almost 1,000km ahead of his closest rivals though

xxx

« Reply #30 on: 01 March, 2012, 08:12:04 am »
Hi can sombody tell me the brand of bikebag/frame bags Mike Hall is using. This is looking very good if you don't want to use any bike rack.

GRTZ

« Reply #31 on: 01 March, 2012, 01:05:21 pm »
I like Mike Hall's effort, but he does a big U loop around America, which then allows him to fly from Ankara to India.  IMO, flying should be something you do when you meet water, not before.  Sean Conway's route goes to all six continents (that aren't Antarctica) which I suppose make it more adventurous and challenging, but it consequently looks quite bitsy.  Personally, I can take or leave the rest, but a global bike ride should include full crossings of Eurasia and America, which yours does.  That looks elegant to me :)
To be fair, I suspect with a February start Asia gives a big problem. Climate precludes crossing most of the old Soviet Union and Eastern Anatolia. Further south Syria, Iraq, possibly Baluchistan are no go areas and Iran may be very hard to get into and the temperate band from Northern Turkey to the Caspian also has security issues.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

« Reply #32 on: 03 June, 2012, 10:05:35 am »
Mike Hall is just about to win this race and smash the world record - currently 106 days - looks like he's heading for 92 days (once you take off days spent in transit).  Currently heading towards Cherbourg, expected back in Greenwich tomorrow.  He has been averaging around 200 miles/day since 18th February.  I'm planning to meet him and hoping to get some photos and an interview for Arrivee.

https://twitter.com/#!/Normally_Human

« Reply #33 on: 03 June, 2012, 10:11:10 am »
I've been closely following on the tracker.....he's upped the pace coming through France :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #34 on: 03 June, 2012, 10:56:00 am »
Been watch this , his tweets and tracker has been mind blowing stuff. 200 miles a day for 92 days----- awsome.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #35 on: 03 June, 2012, 11:06:15 am »
What time does he expect to arrive at Greewich?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #36 on: 03 June, 2012, 11:17:30 am »
What time does he expect to arrive at Greewich?

14 hours ago he tweeted... Likely ETAs in Greenwich either Monday 11am via Portsmouth or Monday 8pm via Poole. Keep 'em peeled and watch the tracker!

https://twitter.com/#!/Normally_Human

« Reply #37 on: 03 June, 2012, 03:22:35 pm »
Excuse me? The tracker says he's been moving on average 40km/h?

« Reply #38 on: 03 June, 2012, 04:22:19 pm »
Excuse me? The tracker says he's been moving on average 40km/h?

possibly includes transits by air?

« Reply #39 on: 03 June, 2012, 04:47:57 pm »
Mike's just arrived at Caen Ouistreham, next ferry is at 23:00, arrives Portsmouth 06:30 tomorrow, so should be in Greenwich around 11am/midday

« Reply #40 on: 03 June, 2012, 11:42:55 pm »
nice piece has appeared on Guardian website

« Reply #41 on: 04 June, 2012, 11:59:30 am »
Less than 5 miles to go :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #42 on: 04 June, 2012, 12:59:07 pm »
Amazing....200 miles a day plus organise your own food / sleep stops, whilst overcoming language barriers - makes the average audax ride seem very tame.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #43 on: 04 June, 2012, 02:49:52 pm »
That's well put, sir!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #44 on: 04 June, 2012, 04:50:09 pm »

« Reply #45 on: 04 June, 2012, 05:34:27 pm »
I'm just back from Greenwich, got photos and an interview for Arrivée... watch this space

Mike was well ahead of the pack right from his first day in France with a 376k blast from Dieppe to Châteauroux.  His lead continued to widen from there.  He averaged well over 300k/day for three months, finished over 8,000km ahead of his closest rival and smashed the Guinness World Record by two weeks. 

Tim Wainwright said: "I'm overwhelmed by his achievement. Oz and the US are vast and we can't comprehend them unless we've been there. It comes into context when you see how quickly he raced through Portugal, Spain and France, which is several weeks' tour to the average cyclist."

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #46 on: 04 June, 2012, 05:45:27 pm »
Just been interviewed on Radio 4 for PM as well. About 0h34m when it comes up on iplayer if anyone's interested
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #47 on: 04 June, 2012, 07:46:22 pm »
A stunning feat - one of the greatest cycle rides of all time. Chapeau
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #49 on: 05 June, 2012, 09:39:08 am »
Anyone know how Richard Dunnett from Diss CC is getting on? He's in India and his last tweet was on June 1st and his report wasn't that positive. I hope all is well with him.

http://www.onebigpedal.co.uk/

Gibbo.