Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3905169 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22050 on: 02 September, 2018, 08:58:46 pm »
A pleasant (FCVO pleasant - my quads and glutes were still suffering from my first gym visit in 6 months on Thursday) 50km. Ran across 2 charity rides, one the ABF Armed Forces one, the other for the Willen Hospice. Warm and sunny :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #22051 on: 03 September, 2018, 05:33:41 am »
30 m Sustran's ride in glorious sunshine, wonderful.
That’s an exceptionally short ride  ;)
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #22052 on: 03 September, 2018, 07:04:18 am »
Yesterday was a 28 mile ride around NTR, with a neighbour. Gorgeous day, great route and fun.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22053 on: 03 September, 2018, 08:56:51 am »

There was probably a Drängelgitter.

essexian

« Reply #22054 on: 03 September, 2018, 04:42:09 pm »
Yeah and I left that Ed Clancy OBE in my wake*  ;D

So, with CBH on holiday (again) with her "Aged Mum" I took myself off to Manchester to do a velodrome taster session. This would be the first time I have ever ridden on a track and indeed rode a fixed wheel bike. To say I was worried I would not manage, would fall off and that everyone would be considerably quicker than me was a little bit of an understatement! I need not have worried.

As I hate driving in Manchester: their road system is so confusing, I went by train. Now, Cross Country Trains may not be the most comfortable in the UK but their bike spaces are much easier to use than Virgin Trains for most standard bikes. Also, £18 return was reasonable.

Arriving at Piccadilly of course it was raining and of course I didn't have a jacket with me....when will I learn?  :facepalm: Having researched the route using several different mapping systems, I chose to follow the canal which wasn't a bad choice apart from right by the velodrome where there were two sets of cobbles which were so rough that walking was required (after the ride, coming down them was almost impossible: I did it in my socks). Locking my bike up outside the venue, I went to sign in.

Got to say the Reception Lady was very friendly and suggested that it was best if I brought my bike into the velodrome and not leave it outside: I didn't ask why but was more than happy to do so as there are racks right by the changing rooms which are away from the public. At £5.40 I thought the shoe hire was a little bit costly but as I don't use Look, my own shoes were useless.

The session itself was enjoyable with Jeff being our coach for the day. There were six of us which seemed the right number to me (the maximum class size is 15) plus five or six people doing their second or third taster session (you need to do at least 3 before moving on to the next stage). After explaining how to use a fixed wheel bike and explaining that it hurt to fall off so please don't do so, we set off to do a couple of laps in the infield before trying our first stop. Really, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be but there were a couple of times where I forgot it was a fixie. Ops.

After a while Jeff moved us first onto the blue section and then up to the red line. Its quite interesting having to cycle faster in the curves than on the straights as your brain tells you it should be the other way around. Got to say, the hour flew by. Not sure how many laps I did but doubt it was more than 15 to 20 although Jeff did say that 1km on the track was like 4 on the road.

If you wish, you can shower after the session and there is a cafe. I decided to smell and to get something from Greggs at the station as I didn't want to miss my train. Next time I will allow myself more time.

So, for around £18 plus travel, its not something I would do every week but I can see myself returning (or trying Derby instead), to get a bit more practice.

*Mr Clancy was walking down the corridor and stopped to read something.... I nipped around him thus am able to claim I overtook him.....what?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22055 on: 03 September, 2018, 06:00:53 pm »

Drängelgitter?
"Neckdown, choker"  :o
https://www.proz.com/kudoz/german-to-english/tech-engineering/383977-drängelgitter.html
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #22056 on: 03 September, 2018, 08:41:18 pm »
Finally i can answer yes to this thread. First time in mumble mumble weeks on a bike but i had a gentle day pottering about in the central midlands. Covered between 20 & 25 miles including the national forest cycle centre trails not quite COR as the paths were effectively tow path standard, but the van nic on 25mm tyres was definitely an inappropriate bike. No pics as i was on my own.

Then over to straton howard res and calke abbey which involved more COR before back to the ccc site at conkers.

Hip held up ok but it has been a 6 co-codamol day.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #22057 on: 04 September, 2018, 04:50:10 am »

Drängelgitter?
https://www.proz.com/kudoz/german-to-english/tech-engineering/383977-drängelgitter.html
The German word for Silly Sustrans Gates, or Velomobile Inconveniencers
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22058 on: 04 September, 2018, 01:57:45 pm »

Drängelgitter?
The German word for Silly Sustrans Gates, or Velomobile Inconveniencers
For some reason the forum software, or maybe it's something in my browser, thinks the url is too long. Let's see if I can fix it:
Drängelgitter

« Reply #22059 on: 04 September, 2018, 03:07:03 pm »
Sigh i.  ::-)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #22060 on: 04 September, 2018, 03:08:32 pm »
Just going to have to go out on the fixie today - the roadie's already moved to the new home.

I do enjoy the fixie rides though, only real irritation is it's just got one bottle cage. I've got nice wide 28 mms on so it goes over the comedy sustrans paths and whatnot much more comfortably than the roadie. I've done lots of riding around the jubilee river trails recently, think I'll try my luck in the Chilterns tonight.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

essexian

« Reply #22061 on: 05 September, 2018, 01:41:42 pm »
Let the train take the strain when heading to Atherstone to watch the Tour of Britain fly by....well not actually fly as that would be cheating, or indeed going that quickly as I cycled to the top of the hill heading out of Atherstone to watch the whole 65 seconds the riders took to pass me (I'll look at Strava later and I bet even in spin mode the pro's will have gone up the hill twice as quickly as I did).

Overall, 10 miles cycling with nearly 700 foot of climbing when I add the hill on the way home from Stafford station into the calculation.

Oh and ITV4 you are a bunch of gits.... they cut to an advert 15 seconds before the group reached me so I didn't get my 15 seconds of fame!  :facepalm:

Oh...and my photos are rubbish unless you want a picture of Wout Poels bum....  :facepalm:

« Reply #22062 on: 05 September, 2018, 06:53:50 pm »
Like essexian I decided to go and see the ToB go by, as per my plan here: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=109253.0

In true CTC style, I decided to bring the Camper Longflap for a picnic in Meriden, complete with packed lunch, Trangia and a kettle for a brew, and a picnic rug to sit on. (As usual, I can't get the Google photo links to work, so here's a link to my twitter thread with some illustrative pictures: https://twitter.com/thrustvector/status/1037297452729155584?s=09 )

I've not been out to Warwickshire much, so I turned to the ever-reliable cycle.travel; it suggested taking NCN 534 off-road from Sutton Coldfield and along the Fazeley canal towpath to Minworth, then via Water Orton to Coleshill, and through the lanes to Meriden. I was slightly apprehensive as to what the NCN surface would be like, but it was pretty decent - chipsealed, but with most of the loose gravel swept away, and and a decently smooth substrate, with no ruts or roots.

Having not left the house until gone 9:30, that only gave me two hours for the 25 miles Meriden before the race came through. With the usual wayfinding delays I was starting the think I might be cutting it fine by the time I was at Minworth, but it had been a very pleasant ride so far, so I figured even if I didn't make it I'd still have had a good time.

I'd guessed from the name that Coleshill would be at elevation, but hadn't realised quite how much a bastard drag the road was (I only realised quite how long and steep it actually was as I hit R17 on the homeward leg!). I missed the turnoff for the lane to Maxstoke and pulled a U-turn, whereupon a bloke on a Vespa did the 'after you' mine to let me make the turn. Pulling alongside me, he said 'going to see the race? Should be about 20 minutes or so until it goes past Maxstoke.' I nodded, and said I was going to try and intercept it at Meriden. 'Best of luck', he said, and sped off; I briefly contemplated trying to latch on for a tow, but as this was my first ride longer than a mile or two in over a month that wasn't going to happen! I was beating Google maps' predictions, mind, but there were a couple of nasty short sharp lumps on the way, and it was looking touch and go. As I finally came into Meriden I could see the crowds lining the turn in the distance, and just saw a couple of proper fast bicycles zip past. 'That's the breakaway' said someone as i propped up my bike and watched the happenings. Five minutes later the sweeper motorbikes had left, and everyone was packing up. I, on the other hand, spread out my rug, fired up the Trangia, and proceeded to have a quiet brew and my lunch. The journey back was uneventful, though by the 40-mile mark my knees were letting me know I'd not done much like this recently. I stopped for an ice cream at the top of Sutton Park before heading home to pull on civvies and go pick up my girls from school. A hair over 50 miles for the day.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22063 on: 06 September, 2018, 08:19:32 am »
Yesterday 80k, 600-odd metres climbing. Got it all wrong.  Took metformin with breakfast because I wasn't planning to ride then spent the morning bent over a bench in the workshop, working mostly with hand tools. El Prez called around 11h30 suggesting 2 pm toddle so I worked until 12, ate a heap of pasta and set off feeling more like crawling into bed than a ride. Workshop is nice & cool, hadn't realized it was all that warm out until halfway up third or fourth hill when the thermometer hit 30°C.  Began to feel like cutting it short but then thought what the hell, it'll get better, and kept going.  Upper back & neck started hurting from the morning's toil, then my metformin-poisoned digestive-slump quads started.

When we got to our turning-point and got a table outside the café, the god-damned church across the road started bell-ringing malpractice, so instead of our customary half-hour's repose we gulped our coffee and got the hell out in 10 minutes.  Thereafter I felt increasingly worse, to the extent of popping paracetamol and opting for a flatter return route. Managed to drag myself home. Felt ropey all evening, none too sprightly today either.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22064 on: 06 September, 2018, 01:34:15 pm »
WNPR yesterday. Ride straight out to Port Zed, where we sat on the terrace of the Windmill, with a beautiful view of the lights on the old and new Severn Bridges shining in the twilight. The "new" Severn Bridge is over 20 years old now, but doesn't seem to have gathered another name to distinguish it from the older one. The ride back was more roundabout and a lot faster.

And on Saturday, a ride to another bridge. The Newport Transporter Bridge. Unfortunately it was closed when we got there – there's a problem with the guide cable. So instead of travelling on the gondola with our bikes, we walked across the top.

You can just see the gondola on the other side of the river, painted blue.

Some beautiful lanes on the way there and back, including a single-track lane with a curious junction from the dual-carriageway A449 with traffic lights, but the slip roads were all closed off with gates and concrete barriers. Apparently the whole junction was built specifically for the Ryder Cup (a glofing event, m'lud) when it was held at the nearby course (Celtic Manor?). Both directions flatter than you'd think for Wales, especially the return.

« Reply #22065 on: 06 September, 2018, 01:59:20 pm »
Yesterday was a circa 30 mile trip to visit the brewing museum at Burton and then down to the national memorial arboritum. All in only 3 hours on the bike but a pleasant day with a varied museum experience throughout.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22066 on: 08 September, 2018, 11:45:06 am »
25km yesterday and another 50km today on the rebuilt Giant, testing it out and refining the setup before i finish adding the bar tape and I'll need to change back to the 80mm stem as well. 

Rode a new route today with some gravel action which was alright on 28mm tyres, until I got to the section of the broken up concrete road which was truly boneshaking - definitely not recumbent friendly.  Quick coffee and croissant at the market before heading home.  Made good speed, and the Giant remains a nice Audax/touring bike but for just under 2 hours I was surprised how much by back ached and how sore my arse was.  Having ridden almost exclusively recumbent for about the last 3000km I seem to have lost my upright legs. 

This was with the new 48/36/26 chainrings and 11-25 casette, which seems to be a decent combination.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #22067 on: 08 September, 2018, 02:14:08 pm »
One of the shortest rides, ever, about half a mile along and back the local (wide, barely-glassed yet, new and unused) cyclepath on the Quinn track bike.  It has no brakes, you see.  And yes, it is technically illegal so I chose my moment catefully and didn't see anyone.  I might have wound it up to 18mph at one point.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22068 on: 09 September, 2018, 01:20:07 pm »
Ride organized by local club. Signed on for the 110k but it was so god-damned boring riding on roads I where know every crack and pothole personally and have a standing invitation to drop in some time that I jacked it in at the first control and went home for lunch, fed up to the back teeth. 42 km on a wonderful autumn day, what a waste.

I'll need to get out for a good stretch this week or I'll go bonkers.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22069 on: 09 September, 2018, 05:55:24 pm »
Yes, finally!

Took the now brick-dust-free Red Baron and my not-quite-brick-dust-free lungs to do battle with the gittish southwesterly.  Was overtaken by a roadie on approach to The Good Bit™, so was able to spool it up to about 30mph into the wind and give him a crash course in aerodynamics.  He passed me on the next climb, obviously.

Two new dead badgers, and the stinking remains of an old one.

Two having-to-dismount-for-horses incidents.  The second was accompanied by one of the riders explaining that #2 horse was "Just a baby, and he saw some balloons earlier that he's still a bit upset about...", which was rudely interrupted by a BMW coming to an emergency stop as he rounded the corner to discover the road blocked by two skittish horses and a dismounted cyclist.  "...if [BMW man] doesn't wipe us out first."

No obvious sign of further chipseal.  Hurrah!

That bikes go faster on Sundays is testament to the effect of traffic outweighing the effect of wind.

« Reply #22070 on: 09 September, 2018, 09:06:56 pm »
Moulton Bicycle Club annual meeting in Bradford on Avon this weekend. Choice of three rides this morning, chose the medium length one to Edington Farm Shop for coffee, and back to BoA, with 36 riders. We were on the Moulton ATB tandem with e-assist, and rode about 21 miles mostly in sunshine.The SW wind was largely a cross wind so not a real problem.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22071 on: 10 September, 2018, 08:57:07 am »

Two having-to-dismount-for-horses incidents.  The second was accompanied by one of the riders explaining that #2 horse was "Just a baby, and he saw some balloons earlier that he's still a bit upset about...", which was rudely interrupted by a BMW coming to an emergency stop as he rounded the corner to discover the road blocked by two skittish horses and a dismounted cyclist.  "...if [BMW man] doesn't wipe us out first."

30km on the rebuits Giant, now ready for handlebar taping. CBA to swap the drivewheel onto the S40.  Had a non-dismounting horse interface, where I politely yelled into the southwesterly "cyclist behind you" not expecting to be heard, but got a nice thank you as I passed.

Nothing fallen off (bike or rider) which is always a good thing.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22072 on: 12 September, 2018, 09:02:58 am »
Yesterday, quite a strenuous solo toddle round some of the less-travelled (for me) bits of the Northern Vosges.  On one little road I saw only two cars in 12 km, quite a feat considering the place it went is a tourist trap.  The roads were generally pretty quiet, though. 132 delightful kilometres and >1000 metres climbed.

The only low point of the day happened 6 hours after I got home, when the chicken sandwich I had for lunch decided to come back, via both ends at once. This morning I weigh 2 kilos less than I did yesterday morning.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #22073 on: 12 September, 2018, 07:37:24 pm »
30 miles on the Kona Cinder Cone with 47mm M+ tyres.  Felt slow but turned out to be exactly as fast as on a road racing bike, to the minute.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22074 on: 13 September, 2018, 06:35:22 pm »
I had an invitation to a stag do for Saturday. It was to visit every Wetherspoons in Bristol – apparently there are eleven of them. That could have got quite epic  :o but I had to decline as I had already entered an audax for that day. So I got up before sunrise and rode in the dark to the edge of town in order to ride the 300km Jaeger Bomb. No Jaeger bombs were consumed. Instead I bonked about two-thirds of the way round, had to just stop at the bottom of a not at all steep or big hill, abandoning my riding companion, and eat whatever I had in my saddlebag. That just about enabled me to carry on but a cheese ploughman's sandwich from Castle Cary Co-op later on really saved me. I very very rarely get the bonk, reckon I just hadn't eaten enough through the day, including breakfast. But it was a fine route and good organisation. It would be interesting though to compare the effects on the body of riding 200 miles in a day (including to the start and back) and an eleven-pub booze up...