Author Topic: Am I obsessing about the correct bikes?  (Read 1720 times)

Am I obsessing about the correct bikes?
« on: 17 May, 2010, 08:22:25 am »
I am after something that can get me out of the wind, go a bit faster than my tourer, and maybe do a couple of audaxes a year on.  High-racers look scary, low-racers look scary, so I am thinking something in between. Dual 406 layout would be my preference, but I can't ignore the Bacchetta. I am pretty near to Bike To Be and DTek, and Tom_e of this parish has offered a try on his B2.  Here's the current shortlist...

ICE B1
Challenge Hurrican Sport
Bacchetta Giro 20

Rule is that is must not come to over £2K, must have mudguards, and be able to carry a change of clothes, lunch and a few tools.

I shouldn't be this obssessed, as I can't buy one until November.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
Re: Am I obsessing about the correct bikes?
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2010, 09:24:34 am »
A nice list of bikes.  I'd possibly add the HP Grasshopper -- great fun, although I don't ride mine as much as I should (getting a tandem, and using that for a lot of my day rides, probably has something to do with this)

You're welcome to borrow mine if you're interested.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2010, 09:30:41 am »
MMmm... bikes. There are a few 'mid-racers' out there now. From Challenge, I like the Furia and Fujin tour, but any of the bikes you've listed will make your day.
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

sprogs

• from your big sister, Steve.
« Reply #3 on: 18 May, 2010, 08:10:56 am »
My brother Pedaldog has a Bacchetta agio. It's 26/20 long wheelbase but it's the smoothest recumbent I've ridden and capable of a fair turn of speed even with my cranky knees propelling it. It's also comfortable enough to spend a full day on and can carry luggage. If you can find one it's well worth a test ride.

Fiona N

« Reply #4 on: 27 May, 2010, 05:51:44 pm »
What about a HPV Speedmachine - 26/20 ?

Of course, I should mention that I'm selling a lovely yellow one at the moment  ;D

« Reply #5 on: 27 May, 2010, 07:45:50 pm »
:)

Thanks for the offer, but come November, I'll have a £2K cyclescheme voucher burning a hole in my pocket.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #6 on: 27 May, 2010, 08:05:29 pm »
If you don't manage to get to Kevins place before the end of Aug, get over to Mildenhall for the rally. There's always a good turnout of recumbents there and most of us will let you sit/ride on them  ;)

Rich

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #7 on: 28 May, 2010, 09:05:49 am »
+1 for the HPV Grasshopper. tis a wonderful machine.

Mind you I costed up replacing mine the other day, and even with the M&S home insurance cover of £4k per item, I'm woefully under insured! Scary. But then mine does have a lot of 'essential' extras :)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.