Author Topic: audax route sheet holders on bents?  (Read 2452 times)

Si

audax route sheet holders on bents?
« on: 24 April, 2011, 09:25:47 am »
Now that I've got a few miles under the belt on the bent I might be able to return to audaxing again (can't do them on an upright due to neck pain).

Just wondering how people manage with route sheets on a bent.  On my upright I just used a click-fix map trap clamped to the handle bar such that the sheet was more or less parallel to the ground thus didn't produce much drag or flapping.  On my bent (PDQ - over saddle steering) if I put it on the bars I'd have yo have the holder pointing much more upwards in order to read it properly.  This might produce a bit of drag, might annoy the steering when going fast down hill and also isn't good for the perspex and the clamp....I've had one explode before.

So, where do you put yours?

Re: audax route sheet holders on bents?
« Reply #1 on: 24 April, 2011, 09:59:19 am »
I never used one, GPS all the way. A friend of mine used to put the route sheet between his seat and seat padding.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #2 on: 24 April, 2011, 11:01:23 am »

You're a few months ahead of me, But I've been starting to ponder this, aqnd would be interested in any solutions.

« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2011, 04:30:50 pm »
How about an arrangement wherebye a clear flexible map holder was a attatched to the thigh of a pair of trousers/longs ?
                                           ::-)
Nothing on hear to show scratching your head  :D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Si

« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2011, 08:42:15 am »
How about an arrangement wherebye a clear flexible map holder was a attatched to the thigh of a pair of trousers/longs ?

I did think of that (I've seen someone before with a similar arrangement on his sleeve), but I wear baggy shorts so probably wouldn't work that well.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2011, 09:06:45 am »

I did think of that (I've seen someone before with a similar arrangement on his sleeve), but I wear baggy shorts so probably wouldn't work that well.
Tattoo the instructions onto your leg.  Hope that the organisers don't change the route too much from one year to the next.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #6 on: 25 April, 2011, 09:31:06 am »
Mr Larrington recommended me a waterproof ortlieb map thingy worn around the neck, that worked rather well.

Ortlieb document bag is the one...
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #7 on: 25 April, 2011, 10:01:04 am »
Much cheaper than Ortlieb is a small beach bag for phones etc

Often less than a fiver.

Personally I tend to use a GPS

« Reply #8 on: 25 April, 2011, 05:34:41 pm »

I dunno, it'd be like a cut off version of those trousers with maps in the thighs that RAF pilots wear (and which I find inexplicably attractive...)

When I'm riding with an OS map, I just tuck it behind my back on the seat and whip it out when I need to refer to it. Bung a routesheet in a plastic wallet (I use the map case that detaches from my Carradice bar bag) and do the same, or as Wendy mentioned, a map case worn round the neck resting on the chest/belly. I have a fairly cheap one aimed at walkers.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 25 April, 2011, 06:12:40 pm »
Mr Larrington recommended me a waterproof ortlieb map thingy worn around the neck, that worked rather well.

Interesting.  I've not really needed to worry about accessible maps or routesheets that much, on account of GPS, but I've always found that things worn around my neck either flap about in the wind, or fall to one side and become entangled in the steering.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10 on: 26 April, 2011, 10:51:35 am »

Interesting.  I've not really needed to worry about accessible maps or routesheets that much, on account of GPS, but I've always found that things worn around my neck either flap about in the wind, or fall to one side and become entangled in the steering.

To prevent flapping, the item may be tucked under one's arm when not in use; if it gets tangled in the steering then the string is too long :D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #11 on: 26 April, 2011, 11:29:12 am »
Not for a route sheet, but I've found something strung on lanyard around neck sat ok on my tummy.  Only problem was a sweaty patch underneath.  Bumps justled it a bit, but other than that it worked.

Not sure it'd work with a routesheet - too light for the wind.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12 on: 26 April, 2011, 01:05:10 pm »
I usually keep map, brevet card and pen in with the route sheet, which provides enough mass for it not to jump around too much.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #13 on: 26 April, 2011, 01:29:07 pm »
I laminated all the route sheets, cut them into cards and punched a hole in the corner. Then they can be clipped to my fannypack or 'foodbelt'.
Laminating is good because of the rain.
But truly GPS is the answer these days.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird