Author Topic: Aw rats  (Read 2208 times)

Aw rats
« on: 09 April, 2012, 10:23:32 pm »

:( :'(

(fortunately found while putting it together before a long ride, rather than during one)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Aw rats
« Reply #1 on: 09 April, 2012, 10:26:56 pm »
Nasty  :o

Worrizit?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 09 April, 2012, 10:28:45 pm »
Back end of one of the ICE two-wheelers?

« Reply #3 on: 09 April, 2012, 10:32:47 pm »
Back end of one of the ICE two-wheelers?

Yup (B2). 
The top end of that bit of metal sticking up is where the upper part of the seat mounts to.  So the cracked part gets an upwards force on it when the seat is loaded.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 09 April, 2012, 10:37:22 pm »
I assume that the part is therefore  a) alloy  and  b) unobtanium

Bugger.

« Reply #5 on: 09 April, 2012, 10:38:38 pm »
Is that alluminium? (goes to check argon cylinder)

« Reply #6 on: 09 April, 2012, 10:54:39 pm »
It is Al. Seeing what ICE can come up with in the first instance.

« Reply #7 on: 10 April, 2012, 01:30:13 pm »
Fingers crossed so far.  After my email last night, Neil from ICE phoned me this morning.  A replacement subframe should be on its way to me and it's the later folding model which has (for unrelated reasons apparently) a different construction in this area. 

(will also get inspected by me on a regular basis, for quite some time I suspect)

« Reply #8 on: 10 April, 2012, 01:55:36 pm »
You could temp fix that with some 4mm cord and a couple of cable ties . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9 on: 10 April, 2012, 06:17:13 pm »
 :facepalm:
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #10 on: 12 April, 2012, 09:40:23 am »
Got a replacement subframe in the post yesterday morning, now mostly reassembled.  He even threw in an alternative mount bracket after discussing on the phone about lowering the seat.  The cracked point is differently constructed, and the shorter bracket will also reduce the stress on it as a side affect.

Assuming it shouldn't crack again, I feel like I have gained a free upgrade (folding frame and alternative bracket), in my hands within 36 hours of emailing them.  They certainly know how to do customer service!

Fingers crossed :).

« Reply #11 on: 12 April, 2012, 01:55:16 pm »
I have never had a serious problem but yes, their customer service is second to none
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.