Author Topic: Audaxing on Trice Q  (Read 1545 times)

revrob

• YACF 426
Audaxing on Trice Q
« on: 14 September, 2014, 03:39:25 pm »
OK, so I'm getting used to life on the dark side - twiddling up Snowdownia's hills and go-karting down the other side!

Whilst my average speed is slower than on an upwrong, (at the moment), is trike audaxing a realistic possibility on the Trice Q?

I'm set up with lights, etc - and the. Ice panniers for carrying stuff.

Would welcome people's thoughts and experiences.
Pob bendith,

Robert

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Audaxing on Trice Q
« Reply #1 on: 14 September, 2014, 03:58:48 pm »
I think the general rule is that audaxing is possible on anything that's got wheels and human powered...

More practically, I think it's just a matter of speed.  If you can go fast enough to not die of sleep deprivation, you'll be fine (especially as 'bents tend to eliminate some of the other problems associated with endurance riding).

Personally, I'd want a two-wheeler.  That's an easy ~10% speed gain from not lugging the extra wheel about.

I don't think recumbent trikes (either type) count for AUK tricycle awards.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #2 on: 14 September, 2014, 04:42:20 pm »
Yes it's doable, I've done up to 600 km for an SR on mine (Ice S)
My 1st year of audax was on it, the rest of them have been on 2 wheels.

Rich

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 14 September, 2014, 10:25:49 pm »
PeterM OTP did PBP on a Trice, amongst several years' Audaxing on recumbents. He rides upwrongs nowadays.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

LMT

« Reply #4 on: 17 September, 2014, 08:24:47 pm »
It can be done, and with the added advantage of having your own make shift bed should you need to sleep on the longer rides.

Having said that I would not like to take a trike around a hilly audax.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #5 on: 24 September, 2014, 07:58:55 am »
I recall Rich on the trike as I did many of the same rides as him but I was on  2 wheels recumbent. My impression is that while it is possible and technically you can get round anything, 3 wheels is slower and heavier over the distance.  The benefit might be that when you fall asleep mid ride in the night you are less likely to end up in the hedge.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #6 on: 24 September, 2014, 10:05:43 am »
I recall Rich on the trike as I did many of the same rides as him but I was on  2 wheels recumbent. My impression is that while it is possible and technically you can get round anything, 3 wheels is slower and heavier over the distance.  The benefit might be that when you fall asleep mid ride in the night you are less likely to end up in the hedge.

No you'll be more likely to be in the hedge, only you will still be upright when hitting it rather than falling off before you get there.  :facepalm: