Author Topic: A random thread for sport things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 131534 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Most English football clubs have fairly boring names. "Placename United" or "City". Occasionally a "Wanderers" or "Albion" but "Hotspur" is as original as it gets. Probably the situation is similar in other countries albeit with different names. But not in the Netherlands, where you can watch... Never Quit Always Persevere Pleasant by Enjoyment and Useful by means of Relaxation Breda !
Usually name by the shorter name of Noad Advendo, which manages to sound Latin but isn't.

Nick den Uijl is the man with the skinny on NAC Breda of Holland, although, as he points out, this is a prefix and not a suffix. “NAC Breda comes from Noad Advendo Combinatie. Noad stands for ‘Nooit Ophouden Altijd Doorzetten’ (Never Quit Always Persevere) and Advendo stands for ‘Aangenaam Door Vermaak En Nuttig Door Ontspanning’ (Pleasant by Enjoyment and Useful by means of Relaxation). Noad and Advendo were two football clubs in Breda (the Netherlands) who merged in 1912.” Never Quit Always Persevere Pleasant by Enjoyment and Useful by means of Relaxation Breda it is then. Catchy.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Great stuff, Cudz.  (I'm reminded of yoav of this parish, who informs us that yoav stands for yoav on a velo.)  Solihull Moors is good and so is Argyle, though Crystal Palace may be the most beautiful name.  But go to Scotland's leagues for some pearls, such as Gala Fairydean, Forres Mechanics and more than you could shake a pibroch at*.

* pedants, I know about the preposition thing.

Cudzoziemiec

The "Yoav on a velo" line makes me smile every time I see it. I know nothing whatsoever about Gala Fairydean but I now REALLY WANT to support them, especially if it means I can go to a Gala Fairydean Fan Day Gala. In fact I've just looked them up and they are in full Gala Fairydean Rovers, which gives them a bonus point (though not necessarily a goal).

;D

I'll try and find a few others for you!  I imagine Galashiels is where Gala comes from so it's accessible.  Forres is practically falling off the end.  I've been there but it wasnae for the fitba!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
I can explain Solihull Moors.
Many years ago, I started visiting my nearest local semi professional footy club and found that I rather enjoyed it.
This was Moor Green FC.  Motto, "Not the worst pies in the league - We don't sell pies."
I followed them through two promotions (to the dizzy heights of the National League North, but they were always struggling financially.
The final straw was when their tiny stand burnt down. They called it a day and merged with their biggest local rivals - Solihull (spit).
I never bothered after that.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Fascinating back story.  Especially the no pies bit!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Better put my hand up and admit that I made that bit up. Sorry.
The rest is true though.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

That's ok, it made me smile!

Here's a list of lovely names, as promised:-

Hamilton Academical
Kelty Hearts  (Fife)
Queen of The South (Dumfries)
Inverness Caledonian Thistle
The Spartans
Bonny Rigg Rose
Caledonian Braves

But, for me, the cup goes to  Civil Service Strollers !

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
References to Swiss outfit BSC Young Boys rarely fail to raise a smile.  Especially since their ground is Wankdorf Stadium.

Fnarr and, moreover, fnarr.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

;D

Now I have an earworm 
“Super Caley Go Ballistic, Celtic are Atrocious!”

When everyone was trying to remember supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (dubious spelling)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather

Hamilton Academical
Kelty Hearts  (Fife)
The Spartans
Bonny Rigg Rose
Caledonian Braves

Can I add Southend United to that, because technically they are not in Southend, but Prittlewell (the term Southend comes from the south end of Prittlewell, which was originally a small fishing hamlet roughly where the pier now is) and they are far from United.

Untied more like.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Gainsborough Trinity, founded 150 years ago by the Rev George Langton Hodgkinson, vicar of Holy Trinity church, to provide a healthy pastime for the  young men of that part of town as an alternative to alcohol and fighting.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs

Hamilton Academical
Kelty Hearts  (Fife)
The Spartans
Bonny Rigg Rose
Caledonian Braves

I had to look this up to check, but Inverness Caledonian Thistle was the merger of two teams Inverness Thistle and Caledonian in order to claim a place in a slightly expanded Scottish Football League.  I seem to recall this was quite contentious as both clubs thought they had individual merits, but had to merge for Inverness to have representation. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Inverurie Loco Works

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Hamilton Academicals - otherwise known as Hamilton Accies.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Gainsborough Trinity, founded 150 years ago by the Rev George Langton Hodgkinson, vicar of Holy Trinity church, to provide a healthy pastime for the  young men of that part of town as an alternative to alcohol and fighting.

That worked out well, then?  ;)

Leigh RMI, originally Horwich Railway Mechanics Institute
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Leigh more famous for Rugby League and probably always have been.  But they do have a silly name, now "Leigh Leopards", for God's sake!  Cricket and Rugby have both gone stupid in this direction.  I love it when "The Invincibles" get thrashed at cricket!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Do you recall that brief period under Don Revie when Leeds United attempted to market themselves as "Superleeds"? ISTR that the first match when they did that they got thrashed 3 - 0 by Derby County. Must have been about 1973.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Apart from the legendary John Charles, my main memory of Leeds is having to break into a friend's house while he was away to watch Sunderland's epic triumph in the FA Cup Final.  The key snapped in the lock but I had the skills to cope with that, frequently forgetting to take my own key on nights out!  So I don't remember the Derby match in question but it sounds very satisfactory - if you are a Derby fan!

Wrong Rangers.

A popular K-Pop band appears to have made a mix-up by donning retro Rangers tops at a show in Texas.

STAYC were performing in Dallas as part of their US tour.

But instead of wearing local baseball team Texas Rangers tops, the girl group appeared in 1990s kits worn by Glasgow Rangers.

From https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67204915

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge

Hamilton Academical
Kelty Hearts  (Fife)
The Spartans
Bonny Rigg Rose
Caledonian Braves

I had to look this up to check, but Inverness Caledonian Thistle was the merger of two teams Inverness Thistle and Caledonian in order to claim a place in a slightly expanded Scottish Football League.  I seem to recall this was quite contentious as both clubs thought they had individual merits, but had to merge for Inverness to have representation.

The other team in that city has the best name - Inverness Clachnacuddin.  They remain in the Highland League. 

I believe that Queen of the South is the only football team referenced in the bible (a quiz question) though I've never checked. 

There are many other lyrical sounding non league clubs in Scotland - Ormiston Primrose, Kirkintilloch Rob Roy, Linlithgow Rose, Jeanfield Swifts & Dundee Violet spring to mind.     

Excellent stuff there, John!  Do Dundee Violet actually play in violet?  If so a derby with United would be unwatchable, except in black and white!

Cudzoziemiec

A gentlemen's club for gentlemen who wish to play gentlemen's sports in a gentlemanly way.