Author Topic: Signs of Spring  (Read 208878 times)

onb

• Between jobs at present
Re: Signs of Spring
« Reply #125 on: 25 March, 2010, 03:41:14 pm »
Inhaled and fortunately spat out a couple of flies or something like today :hand:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #126 on: 25 March, 2010, 03:58:54 pm »
Chiffchaffs!  :D

Heard the first one at 7.50 at Doggetts farm and three or four more at Danbury Common. I saw one of the Danbury ones.

I note from the Southend RSPB website that the first swallow was seen in Barling, which is on my usual loop. Will go out there tomorrow to see if I can see one.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #127 on: 25 March, 2010, 04:51:59 pm »
Never mind Spring, Summer has arrived in Aberdeen:

::-)

Really Ancien

« Reply #128 on: 25 March, 2010, 06:41:11 pm »
Never mind Spring, take a look what's forecast for the start of next week at Yad Moss.
Yad Moss 6 Day Snow Forecast & Skiing Weather for 725 m - Snow-Forecast.com

Damon.

« Reply #129 on: 25 March, 2010, 06:43:05 pm »
There's snow forecast here too!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #130 on: 26 March, 2010, 02:28:55 pm »
In the square near work, the cars are starting to come out.  An Austin A30 and an MG Midget have emerged from their winter sojourn, and there's just one left to emerge ;D
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #131 on: 28 March, 2010, 10:09:11 pm »
The year's first splatted toads on the road into town.  :(
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #132 on: 28 March, 2010, 11:26:19 pm »
Lots of new stuff over the last 4 days. Several chiffchaffs singing, (wild) primroses on the sunnier roadside banks, dog’s  mercury in flower, 3 wood anemones, first violets (looked like sweet violets, but proved to be without scent), hawthorn hedges showing green shoots, and even a few young bushes with open leaves, ash catkins, assorted willow catkins.

The hedge banks have suddenly turned green – cow parsley, wild arum, celandine leaves, wood sorrel, goosegrass, foxgloves, and lots of little cotyledons which look remarkably like the annual weeds I’m trying to control in remove from the garden.

The wild daffodils on the local south-facing slopes are now in full flower.

And the first spring beer was on tap at the Griffin (Church End), appropriately called Sign of Spring.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #133 on: 30 March, 2010, 01:13:23 pm »
Spring's on hold:

Subject: IMPORTANT Extreme Weather Event - Further advice from the PWS Advisor

Following this morning's conference with the Chief Forecaster and our forecasters in Aberdeen, we are now forecasting extreme weather for much of Scotland overnight tonight and into tomorrow.

During this evening, the weather will gradually worsen to give conditions which will not only be disruptive but could be potentially dangerous particularly in the north and east.

Northern & Eastern Scotland (including Argyll & Bute, East & West Dunbartonshire and North & South Lanarkshire)
Widespread heavy snow will affect much of eastern and northern Scotland. The heavy snow will be accompanied by Severe Gale force winds resulting in severe blizzard conditions with significant drifting especially at higher levels. At lower levels, where the snow is wetter, there could be significant effects on power lines. Visibility on roads affected by the blizzards could fall to virtually zero at times.

Glasgow & Southwest Scotland
The southwest corner of Scotland from Glasgow down through the Ayrshire's and into the western part of Dumfries & Galloway is expected to miss the worst of the severe conditions but could well still reach Flash criteria for Heavy Snow.

Eastern coastal fringes
The eastern coastal fringes will see further significant rain during today and Wednesday morning with as much as 40-50mm possible in the southeast (Fife, Lothian & Borders).

:P

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #134 on: 31 March, 2010, 06:10:30 pm »
Great spotted woodpecker drumming this morning, and a Cetti's warbler singing last week at Barnes.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #135 on: 01 April, 2010, 11:52:37 am »
Frogspawn has now hatched in Churchill Gardens and diminutive tadpoles are present in large numbers.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tourist Tony

« Reply #136 on: 01 April, 2010, 02:27:09 pm »
Never mind Spring, Summer has arrived in Aberdeen:

::-)
When that view was first posted, the camera was covered in rain......

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #137 on: 01 April, 2010, 05:59:51 pm »
I now know for sure that Spring is here.

Shouty Man has emerged from his hibernation and is back on the Snaky Path, ranting as well as ever - the meds have obviously worn off...  :thumbsup:

This morning's rant (what I caught of it as I went past) was not about giving into the racist, blackmailing Scots - which I presumed was his commentary on the looming General Election...  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #138 on: 04 April, 2010, 04:59:27 pm »
Three (at least) swallows over the new marshy nature reserve in Bude, Cornwall at lunchtime today  :D :D

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
« Reply #139 on: 04 April, 2010, 08:00:48 pm »
I've only just spotted the 1st Coltsfoot of the year flowering this week in Monmouthshire so is that a sign winter is only 1-2 months from being over? Mind you as the Wood anenomes have started flowering at the same time and iths over a week after our first swallow it could also be a sign that this year Mother Nature is crazy old lady shouting obscenities at us about the sins of humankind :demon:

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #140 on: 04 April, 2010, 08:40:50 pm »
Swallowed a fly yesterday.

« Reply #141 on: 04 April, 2010, 09:48:16 pm »
Bumble bee bumbling around the garden very noisily this afternoon.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #142 on: 05 April, 2010, 10:55:34 pm »
As we pitched our tent on Friday, a very large and sleepy bumble bee woke up & burrowed to the surface.  It bimbled about, and then, when the sun was shining, it could be seen flying around.  Hope the high winds & heavy rain didn't harm it.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #143 on: 06 April, 2010, 04:20:37 pm »
Today, in the work car park, I saw my first butterfly of the year.  A pretty patterned reddish one.

I have to confess my dreadful ignorance on the subject of butterflies.  If it's a white one, I'll usually guess cabbage white; if red, red admiral.
Getting there...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #144 on: 06 April, 2010, 05:40:58 pm »
I had my first mosquito bite this morning, during the commute in...  :-\
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #145 on: 06 April, 2010, 09:17:07 pm »
Have you taken your anti-malarials?
Getting there...

Tourist Tony

« Reply #146 on: 08 April, 2010, 06:03:09 pm »
Chiffchaff singing in my garden. :thumbsup:
Mossie on my widow  :P

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
« Reply #147 on: 08 April, 2010, 08:09:23 pm »
1xWillow warbler (being almost drowned out by the many chiff chaffs). No dormice in any of their nestboxes though (they must know something the weather people don't).

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #148 on: 11 April, 2010, 02:05:22 pm »
Mossie on my widow  :P
I didn't know you were dead  :o
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #149 on: 12 April, 2010, 11:26:03 am »
Swallow* flying very swiftly near mayfield yesterday.

*or it may have been a Swift. Buggers are difficult to identify when you only have a second to see it.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex