Author Topic: Kitchen sink strainer plugs  (Read 871 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Kitchen sink strainer plugs
« on: 14 January, 2024, 06:46:49 pm »
Looking to replace two of these, but not sure if there is a standard.

We have a Howdens sink, with two strainer plugs, both of which drop into the closed position if you look at them, and then leak, slowly.

Like this stolen image:

It is simpler than it looks.

Re: Kitchen sink strainer plugs
« Reply #1 on: 14 January, 2024, 08:31:27 pm »
Somehow lost the plug from a Howdens sink fitted by our now retired builder. Had to try several different ones  from eBay before I found one that fitted and worked; even then I had to separate and rebuild the parts in a different order. They vary quite a lot in diameter and depth. Might be able to identify the eBay order and let you know.

« Reply #2 on: 14 January, 2024, 08:58:42 pm »
My original supplier on eBay is no longer there, but asking for similar items yields the following:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_id=234051084163&_nkw=Premium%20Stainless%20Steel%20Replacement%20Kitchen%20Sink%20Drain%20Waste%20Plug%20Strainer%2084mm%20&_sis=1

The first few seem to match, and are UK rather than China-based.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 14 January, 2024, 11:36:24 pm »
Thanks.

Will take a punt...

(although, having visited the plug with rheumy eyes and a post pub-quiz brain, I shall wait until I have re-measured in the morning)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 15 January, 2024, 07:00:17 am »
I didn't even know that this was an issue.  Our double sink is a Franke and a quick Google reveals what seems to be quite a few options all with Frank's branding and all costing around £16.

I had an issue with the FiL's popup bathroom sink plug recently.  Couldn't find the right size of replacement washer at first.  I now have spares and even a spare plug.  I don't know what he does but he is clearly brutal!

« Reply #5 on: 15 January, 2024, 07:37:35 am »
They come with the sink waste. If you want to guarantee a good fit you'll need to replace that too.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-sink-strainer-waste/74806

(there are multiple variants depending on how your overflow connects etc)

« Reply #6 on: 15 January, 2024, 10:08:09 am »
Franki sell a standard post 2008 replacement but Franki being Franki they charge ridiculous prices for said item.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: 15 January, 2024, 11:56:05 am »
For the one illustrated by Jaded I just got a couple off eBay for about 50p each. Work fine.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)