Author Topic: Survivors remake  (Read 29969 times)

Survivors remake
« on: 19 November, 2008, 12:04:22 pm »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Survivors remake
« Reply #1 on: 19 November, 2008, 12:13:31 pm »
70s hilarity and no "zomg my mobile is dead!" nonsense.  :)

It might be good.  I've got it bookmarked, just for the "you did it wrong!" yelling.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 19 November, 2008, 12:13:47 pm »
HD init.
It is simpler than it looks.

Si

« Reply #3 on: 19 November, 2008, 12:31:37 pm »
Why not just repeat the original ?

yeah, I'm sure that they could CGI some hoodies onto a few members of the cast, and dub "init" to the end of every other statement to make it relevant to the yoof of today, robinhood-stylee  :thumbsup:  ;)

« Reply #4 on: 19 November, 2008, 12:57:52 pm »
I loved the original. I'll give this one a go. I cant remember exactly what happened to those who succumbed to the plague in the original. Didn't they turn to dust or something. I can't remember bodies being everywhere.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #5 on: 19 November, 2008, 01:47:24 pm »
I haven't seen the original - I'm quite looking forward to this.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: 19 November, 2008, 06:47:46 pm »
That is a bit strange, I can distinctly remember really enjoying it but that is all I can remember. My memory worries me sometimes.

spindrift

« Reply #7 on: 19 November, 2008, 06:52:35 pm »
I only remember one episode where a bloke got rabies. I remember they stayed away from the cities because of the disease caused by all the cadavers. The intro was genuinely creepy:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HPKk204nOTk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/HPKk204nOTk&rel=1</a>

« Reply #8 on: 19 November, 2008, 06:59:37 pm »
That is a bit strange, I can distinctly remember really enjoying it but that is all I can remember. My memory worries me sometimes.
AOL.
Bizarrely I remember the main character, in his favourite blue anorak, making salt on a shingle beach.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #9 on: 19 November, 2008, 07:08:05 pm »
Is it a remake or a revisit to the same world but 33 years on?

H

« Reply #10 on: 19 November, 2008, 07:13:05 pm »
Is it a remake or a revisit to the same world but 33 years on?
Looks like a remake to me, if what one of the interviewees is true about the actors doing there own pieces before meeting up with the other survivors. It would seem to contain a couple of
Dr. Who dropouts, eg. Martha Jones.
The Numberwang guy is also in it.  :thumbsup:

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #11 on: 19 November, 2008, 07:49:42 pm »
AOL.
Bizarrely I remember the main character, in his favourite blue anorak, making salt on a shingle beach.
AOL? Can't find anything other than America On Line for that?

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #12 on: 19 November, 2008, 08:24:38 pm »
I only remember one episode where a bloke got rabies. I remember they stayed away from the cities because of the disease caused by all the cadavers. The intro was genuinely creepy:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HPKk204nOTk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/HPKk204nOTk&rel=1</a>

Classic line in the Youtube comments...

"I was always puzzled by who was cutting the hedges and keeping the grass mowed. It must have been a bi product of the virus. It did the gardening as a form of apology."
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #13 on: 20 November, 2008, 12:28:06 pm »
The original was one of the best things the BBC ever did... along with Threads (the nuclear bomb hits Sheffield film which they withdrew after MPs objected). This might be fun and I will watch it, but I don't think it will have the power of the original. No-one is really shocked by anything any more... and we've had countless TV and film apocalypses since then...

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #14 on: 20 November, 2008, 12:43:21 pm »
The original was one of the best things the BBC ever did... along with Threads (the nuclear bomb hits Sheffield film which they withdrew after MPs objected). This might be fun and I will watch it, but I don't think it will have the power of the original. No-one is really shocked by anything any more... and we've had countless TV and film apocalypses since then...

Threads is available on DVD now.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #15 on: 20 November, 2008, 01:18:03 pm »
One thing which the 70s survivors didn't have to contend with was the lack of the Internet

All the stuff they knew was in their heads or at the local library

I can imagine episode one of the new Survivors ... "Everyone is dead and the local supermarket is empty but worst of all I can't get on myspace to moan about it"

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #16 on: 21 November, 2008, 07:54:05 am »
Threads is available on DVD now.

I bought it when it first came out... it is still a surprisingly powerful piece of work.

red marley

« Reply #17 on: 23 November, 2008, 11:51:01 am »
Some of the acting in the original was truly cringe making, so I guess the remake can only improve on things. Having said that, there were a few really strong characters (Tom Price, the professional Welshman comes to mind) and storylines that I hope they'll keep. One of the dominant themes of the original which I hope they will keep was the idea of self-sufficiency and our dependency on each other to function as a society. Big in the 70s  - Survivors post-watershed, or in my case The Good Life if you weren't allowed to stay up after nine.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #18 on: 23 November, 2008, 10:30:38 pm »
That was rather good. 

What was going on right at the end, with the Seekrit Lab? ???
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #19 on: 23 November, 2008, 10:35:15 pm »
That was rather good. 

It's a Deep Green plot to get the world population under control ?  A leak from Porton Down the goverment didn't want to own up to ?

All will be revealed in next weeks exciting episode..

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #20 on: 23 November, 2008, 10:35:37 pm »
Yes I liked that ending. Don't remember anything like that in the first edition.

Apart from a few silly bits like the scene in the Mosque  I thought it was pretty good. It must be much harder/technology dependent to create the scenes of desolation now.

Has anybody read the original novel? I would quite like to read it.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #21 on: 23 November, 2008, 10:36:06 pm »
It wasn't bad really, was it?

what was going on was a bit to make you think "ooh, what was that?  Must watch next week"  ;)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #22 on: 23 November, 2008, 10:36:13 pm »
I assumed the bods in the lab were working on a vaccine.  Maybe there's a secret underground goverment too...?

Aye, I enjoyed that.  I thought it captured the sense of isolation and purposelessness quite well.

What was that Scottish road she was drving up to the adventure centre, by the way?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #23 on: 23 November, 2008, 10:40:07 pm »
I'm watching next week in case Milla Jovovich turns up with a pair of kukris and a can of whoop-ass.  She usually does when there's seekrit labbery going on.  I think it's like Princess Anne opening supermarkets.  Supermarket: Princess Anne.  Seekrit lab: Milla Jovovich.

And yes, the raw bloody despair was nicely done. 

« Reply #24 on: 23 November, 2008, 10:41:13 pm »

Has anybody read the original novel? I would quite like to read it.

The original series _was_ original.  There were two books published afterwards, based on the series & written by Terry Nation.  The first one followed the series, the second, "Genesis of a Hero" was the story of Peter Grant, the son of one of the main characters, Abby Grant. Pretty good as I recall , but I don't have copies.