Author Topic: Etrex Vista Hcx or Oregon 300?  (Read 7329 times)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Etrex Vista Hcx or Oregon 300?
« Reply #25 on: 17 March, 2009, 10:57:00 am »
Thanks Andy. Much as I'd love the 25k mapping on the Satmap 10 I can't justify the expense, so what I'm really after is a device that will replace all of my bike computers, give me a grid ref that I can transfer to paper map and will also allow me to record where I've been and upload it to PC and conversely allow me to plan routes on PC and download them to the unit. The Etrex sounds like it would fit the bill.

Even a more basic model like the Geko 201 will do all of that and more, and is a smaller lighter unit (though battery life a bit limited).  The map-enabled Etrexes don't come with maps (nothing useful anyway) so adding the maps would still be a comparable extra expense.   (NB some of the lower-end Garmins use a serial connection, which is becoming a problem for some computer users)
Just mentioning it - personally I strongly recommend going the extra mile and getting something with maps.  I started with a Geko and it did everything I expected and wanted - but I very rapidly realised that the 'added value' of the scrolling map was easily worth the extra outlay.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #26 on: 17 March, 2009, 11:26:29 am »
I'd strongly the mapping etrexes over the gekos - the lack of a map is something I sorely missed before I got my Yellow Lovely. 

As for maps, well, there's OSM (download in my sig) for free, routable, topo maps of the UK and Ireland and cloudmade.com or openstreetmap.org for the rest of the world. 

Or bittorrent, but that would be naughty.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #27 on: 17 March, 2009, 11:34:42 am »
I ended up with the etrex legend hcx and am very happy with it. Only used it on one trip so far, using a home plotted route as well as the routing function (with a garmin map), but it behaved excellently. Extras such as the ability to find the nearest railway station also came in handy  :)
"Many, also, are the hills that lie between, and we must ascend, by a glorious stairway, from strength to strength."
- Petrarch, 'The Ascent of Mount Ventoux', 1336

« Reply #28 on: 17 March, 2009, 11:51:18 am »
Thanks for all your input. I'll look on the web for some pictures of the Etrex units and their displays as they sound like the way to go for me.