Author Topic: Deliveroo  (Read 14792 times)

Martin

Deliveroo
« on: 23 March, 2017, 11:52:47 am »
is it just me or do some riders have a deathwish? big unwieldy black box on their back and they still insist on riding down one way streets the wrong wayl also RLJ'ing with no lights (at night)

Re: Deliveroo
« Reply #1 on: 23 March, 2017, 11:56:38 am »
You're not alone. I report dark stealthy deliveroo riders to their twitter account every time I see one with time and location. This should ensure they get a bollocking one hopes.

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 23 March, 2017, 12:03:24 pm »
we saw a young girl doing runs from Pizza Express last week, she said they weren't covered by the firm's insurance unless they had lights / hiviz / h*****t (which she did)

and she only got £1 a delivery within a certain radius

« Reply #3 on: 23 March, 2017, 12:06:21 pm »
I thought that since a new court ruling, all riders were on salary?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

dim

« Reply #4 on: 23 March, 2017, 12:39:00 pm »
I do Deliveroo part time ....

in Cambridge, it's £4 per drop (few are on an hourly rate, and I prefer the £4 per delivery).... (plus 'rare' tips) .... The delivery radius is 3 miles from the city centre but most of my drops are within 1-2 km from the restaurant

delivery time from when I have collected the food varies between 6 minutes and 11 minutes depending on distance and traffic. I average 3-4 drops per hour, all dependedant on how long you have to wait for the food from the restaurant (most times, it's ready when you get there)

I bought a cheap Specialized RockHopper for deliveroo, and it's brilliant.

how it works, is that you have an ap on your phone.... when you are ready for work, you log in, and when a job is available for you, you get a message. At this stage, you don't know where to collect or drop off, all you have is an order number

Once that you accept the order, you are told where to collect, and there is a button that you click that links to Google Maps with turn by turn instreuctions

Once collected, you tap the collected button, and it then gives you the address where it has to be delivered with a link to Google Maps

the box is actually very comfortable and within the box, there is a smaller bag for hot foods .... it's a big box/rucksack that can fit pizzas, but most of my deliveries have been chinese take aways ... if you have a back rack on your bike, and don't want the rucksack, they will install a box on the rack

the jacket is brilliant, plus you are given tee shirts, etc etc plus an Anker portable battery charger for your iphone and a bike phone holder for your handlebars ... The kit costs £150 but they deduct the money gradually from your pay .... if ever you decide to leave, you get a full refund when you hand the kit back

one thing that I have noticed though is that cabs/taxis don't seem to like deliveroo riders, and pass very close (a lot closer than when I commute to my other jobs without the bag)

a brilliant part time job for some extra beer money .... I'm saving my money to buy a 1970's/80's Colnago or similar

I know a Polish lad who does it full time, and he earns close to £100 per day/7 days a week

you can work whenever you want and are not forced to do hours/shifts... you can work 1 hour or several .... you are not insured by Deliveroo, and you have to supply and maintain your own bike .... you also have to sort out your own tax/insurance

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #5 on: 23 March, 2017, 12:48:02 pm »
Yes very nice blah blah blah. So why don't you all sort yourself out with some bright lights and all ?

dim

« Reply #6 on: 23 March, 2017, 12:51:01 pm »
Yes very nice blah blah blah. So why don't you all sort yourself out with some bright lights and all ?

lights is your own choice .... I do have bright lights, but don't really need them for Deliveroo as I ony do Deliveroo during the day

« Reply #7 on: 23 March, 2017, 12:52:26 pm »

lights is your own choice .... I do have bright lights, but don't really need them for Deliveroo as I ony do Deliveroo during the day

So really I should wind the window down and politely inform the night riders to get themselves seen instead...

« Reply #8 on: 23 March, 2017, 01:04:04 pm »
I'm less convinced it is associated with Deliveroo specifically.  I work in Cardiff for about half my work time, and the other half in rural North Wales.  I reckon about 50% of all cyclists in Cardiff don't have lights.  I think they get away with it because they don't actually need them to see by (and drivers can see them too) because they never go anywhere that doesn't have street lights.  I'd never dream of riding at night without lights, because experience from home tells me that when it is dark, it's actually dark.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 23 March, 2017, 01:21:04 pm »
Deliveroo bicycle riders appeared in Birmingham relatively recently (they've mostly used mopeds).  They're notable because they have those silly boxes on their backs (which surely fail to keep pizzas in the correct orientation when used on a road bike), and because they ride like idiots on the road, while the average Birmingham cyclist is far more likely to be found riding like an idiot on the pavement.

They don't seem any more unlit than usual, though.  I've certainly seen some with proper lights.

I'm sure any dispensation towards particularly poor behaviour is due to the cognitive biases inherent in them being a group with big recognisable boxes on their backs.  A bit like the Addison Lee effect.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 23 March, 2017, 01:22:00 pm »
Deliveroo riders wear all-round reflective jackets, similar to the Pro-Viz jackets, and the box is reflective too. The black boxes are Pizza Express, Dominos or various local enterprises.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Martin

« Reply #11 on: 23 March, 2017, 01:25:48 pm »
Deliveroo riders wear all-round reflective jackets, similar to the Pro-Viz jackets, and the box is reflective too. The black boxes are Pizza Express, Dominos or various local enterprises.

the one I saw last night was a deliveroo box, green sides, with a completely black back (as was the rider)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #12 on: 23 March, 2017, 01:31:46 pm »
That lot, and UberEats.  98% percent of them are a menace.  RLJ, wrong way, on the pavement, no lights, not bothering to look, etc.  They put me in the same heightened state as seeing an AddisonLee vehicle.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 23 March, 2017, 01:45:49 pm »

the one I saw last night was a deliveroo box, green sides, with a completely black back (as was the rider)
Interesting local variation. They did have black backs here (Bristol) some time ago but they've been reflective silver – and it's really bright reflective and lots of it, shows up far better than any bike lights – for quite some time. I wonder if they're rolling out the reflective kit as and when each branch needs new stuff, or if they've got some selection process?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #14 on: 23 March, 2017, 01:47:58 pm »
I still have a hazy recollection that if the lights are less than (istr) 30 yards apart then you don't need your lights.
(Not that icba to turn them on/off thobut).
Or have I been dreaming all this time?

(thanks for description dim, illuminating (pun 1/2 intended))
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #15 on: 23 March, 2017, 01:49:25 pm »

Come on, be excellent and all that. Dim gave us an interesting reply.

@dim - Sounds like you are making it work for you. Whenever I've asked students in Leeds, they seem very negative about the pay.

« Reply #16 on: 23 March, 2017, 01:52:46 pm »

@dim - Sounds like you are making it work for you. Whenever I've asked students in Leeds, they seem very negative about the pay.

I know how the business side work. I just get frustrated as a fellow cyclist in London seeing them swan all over place as if they were ninjas.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 23 March, 2017, 01:59:14 pm »
Ninja swans...

« Reply #18 on: 23 March, 2017, 02:02:00 pm »
They'll break your arm in a stealthy flash...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #19 on: 23 March, 2017, 02:03:59 pm »
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #20 on: 23 March, 2017, 02:16:18 pm »
... I just get frustrated as a fellow cyclist in London seeing them swan all over place as if they were ninjas.

::-)  I didn't get that from your posts at all.

« Reply #21 on: 23 March, 2017, 02:51:53 pm »
The ones in York are a bit dozy. Whether that is exhaustion or not I dunno. I was sat behind one waiting for lights to change last friday. He looked back at me. I gestured in front of him at the lights and said "The lights have changed". He looked confused.
A car got tired of waiting and pulled round us both.
I waved at the lights and said it again.
He looked more confused and took his headphones out of his ears, looked at me and said "Ugh?" "The lights have changed" says I.
Two more cars pull round us.
"What?"
"THE LIGHTS HAVE CHANGED"
"Oh"
<i>Marmite slave</i>

dim

« Reply #22 on: 23 March, 2017, 06:53:51 pm »

perhaps they are on an hourly fixed rate (minimum wage) .... the £4 per drop is much better, especially if you are reasonably fit as you can average 3 drops per hour .... add a few pounds of tips, and it's much better than doing any other minimum paid job, especially if you are unemployed or do work that is seasonal (such as a gardener/landscaper etc) .... I'm semi-retired, and this suits perfectly .... a 30-40km ride in the hills early morning, then a shower and off to a 3hr job, and after that, a bit of deliveroo for a bit of extra cash.... come weekend, a long ride on saturday, and a long ride on sunday, but if the weather is kak, I can always do a bit of deliveroo

to be honest, I'm more afraid of being knocked down by another cyclist than a cab or a bus or a car .... Cambridge has thousands of international students who cycle and many of them have no idea about road safety

but if you want to see 'real bike couriers' watch these guys in New York ....many ride fixies, and are bonkers (they also work on a fee per drop):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBeuK0ovASM

listen to the cab driver from 17 minutes ... sounds like there's  a war going on

Martin

« Reply #23 on: 23 March, 2017, 07:54:34 pm »
funny; Deliveroo seems to have replaced the Kamizaze bike messengers of the 80s (not sure if any real despatch riders still exist in these days of email and DocuSign)

riders apart; I can't see the attraction of the service; if I want a take away I'll ride to the place myself, or preferably pay a bit more for drinks and sit down to a hot meal in the restaurant rather than having it stone cold at home but ETHO

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24 on: 23 March, 2017, 08:04:25 pm »
None of my takeaways have been delivered by Deliveroo but I LIKE my takeaways delivered here.
I can sit in peace, free of predatory or emollient waiting staff, control my portion sizes and retain leftovers for future use without having to ask for a doggie bag.
I am disabled and we are car-free.
I get rather good Meals on Wheels...