Author Topic: Carrying a towball bike carrier on a bike  (Read 1038 times)

Carrying a towball bike carrier on a bike
« on: 12 April, 2019, 08:10:14 pm »
I regularly have to use a company vehicle for various short jobs (typically a regular one day a week taxi job and various non-regular jobs involving transporting people or things, sometimes with my trailer). The pick'up and return place for the vehicles is not always the same and return point is not necessarily the same as pick-up on any one job. Getting me to and from the vehicle usually involves another vehicle and driver.
The ideal way for me tq achieve the pick-up and return is by bike. But there is nowhere to leave the bike and it may also need to be in a different place for the return to where it was parked for the pick-up. There is frequently too much junk in the boot of at least the boss's vehicle to carry a bike around without a lot of faff (and I don't have a folder and quickly get pissed off with dropping wheels out in order to wriggle a greasy bike around the junk for a ten minute trip).
Enter the towball bike carrier. What I need is a way to carry it on the bike so that I can avoid putting a bike in the car. My carrier is one that suspends the bike; it folds up into a fairly long but otherwise compact package. Too long to go across a rack. The only way that I see of carrying it is to make up a system to carry it vertcally (a bit like those hockey stick carriers that I remember from school days).

Are there any lateral thinkers who can see this ptoblem another way?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Carrying a towball bike carrier on a bike
« Reply #1 on: 12 April, 2019, 08:11:58 pm »
Fit a towball on your bike :)

« Reply #2 on: 12 April, 2019, 08:16:30 pm »
I have a bracket which attaches to a rack to enable me to carry a folded push chair.

https://www.dutchbikebits.com/steco-buggy-mee-deluxe

« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2019, 08:52:55 pm »
Fit a towball on your bike :)
I do actually have a towball sitting in the scrap pile by the garage. Fitting it to the bike is not a bad idea at all but carrying the carrier opened makes it a bit more bulky (expansive really). The ball is a bit big for fixing in place of the rear reflector on the mudguard!

I have a bracket which attaches to a rack to enable me to carry a folded push chair.

https://www.dutchbikebits.com/steco-buggy-mee-deluxe

That's the sort of thing I had in mind. I don't think that particular one would help for the carrier but it gives me a few good pointers of the way to go.

« Reply #4 on: 12 April, 2019, 09:16:45 pm »
If your carrier is something like the Thule express I suppose it could fit nose first into a pannier but these are still subtantial pieces of kit due to the job they do.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain