Author Topic: 2023 Christmas cake thread  (Read 2857 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
2023 Christmas cake thread
« on: 16 November, 2023, 08:18:14 pm »
It is a tradition that SO makes me a Christmas cake every year, and it takes me until the end of January to eat it.

For a change, this year's will contain Cointreau rather than brandy.  I shall report back as I feed it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: 2023 Christmas cake thread
« Reply #1 on: 16 November, 2023, 08:45:15 pm »
In theory, I quite like Christmas cake. It's just a shame that most of them are inedible.

Going to have another stab at panettone this year. A good home-made panettone is heavenly. Christmas cake doesn't come close.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #2 on: 16 November, 2023, 09:03:41 pm »
In theory, I quite like Christmas cake. It's just a shame that most of them are inedible.

Going to have another stab at panettone this year. A good home-made panettone is heavenly. Christmas cake doesn't come close.

Oh but sir

They are totally different THINGS, surely for deffo.

I'm of a mind to consider Cointreau as an inspired addition to any cake/pudding

rogerzilla

« Reply #3 on: 16 November, 2023, 09:08:30 pm »
Not being a liqueur aficionado, I was worried that Cointreau, being triple sec, would be very dry.

It's not; it's sweet and the etymology is misleading.

rogerzilla

« Reply #4 on: 25 November, 2023, 01:17:40 pm »
The basic cake (it won't be iced until Xmas Eve) has been in my cupboard for a week.  It has had one feed.

« Reply #5 on: 25 November, 2023, 02:37:36 pm »
We’ll be doing the usual - the fruit is already soaking in plenty of brandy. A Delia Smith “Rich fruit cake” though with no currants and extra mixed peel and glacé cherries. It’ll get made sometime in the coming week (I’ve the week off) and will be fed, via strategically placed penetrations, using a syringe first obtained in order to (fail to) give the cat some medicine.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 25 November, 2023, 05:28:29 pm »

Aargh! Had forgotten that the stuff existed, but now...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #7 on: 26 November, 2023, 12:56:08 pm »
I see that Nigella Lawson has taken against Christmas Cake for some unfathomable reason*.

*Probably got a new book out and wants the publicity, CBA to follow link.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #8 on: 26 November, 2023, 02:26:21 pm »
I used to make three Christmas cakes every year. One for us, one for each set of parents.
Continued with the one for us till we realised it didn't get eaten till Easter and wasn't worth the effort.
Can't abide commercial versions as I don't like candied peel.
I also realised that the only bit I really liked was the almond paste, do now I just get a block from the wholefood shop and try not to eat it all at once....
Instead of cake or pudding, I shall make an Ecclefechan Tart.
A large one, so there is more filling, less pastry.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 26 November, 2023, 03:08:37 pm »
I just wish Mr Sainsbury could supply me with raisins in November.
Seems all the CAKE makers deplete his stocks...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10 on: 26 November, 2023, 04:47:18 pm »
Did that braised duck/ginger/miso recipe again for lunch, but marinated the duck in soy sauce with a bit of bicarb for half an hour first. Tender as you like and generally nom.  Fresh buckwheat noodles w. kimchi to go with, MrsT did salmon for herself.  Bliss.

I just wish Mr Sainsbury could supply me with raisins in November.
Seems all the CAKE makers deplete his stocks...

In wee supermarket this morning, looked at the raisins. "In cottonseed oil". Yetch.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #11 on: 26 November, 2023, 05:04:36 pm »
Quote from: T42
In wee supermarket this morning, looked at the raisins. "In cottonseed oil". Yetch.
Wash 'em with some cellulose thinners.  Job done.  :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 26 November, 2023, 08:57:02 pm »
Cottonseed oil is FAR preferable to the liquid paraffin - 'food grade white mineral oil' - used in my youth, in days of yore.

Raisins still sick together by the end of the pack...

« Reply #13 on: 27 November, 2023, 09:44:25 am »
I've been using cointreau in my christmas cake for years. Mostly because I don't like brandy.

Everything uneaten by 1st January is portioned and put in the freezer for bike fuel.

Haven't made one this year for the first time since I was about 17. I might do it this weekend.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #14 on: 27 November, 2023, 10:52:05 am »
Sherry in ours - made a few weeks ago. We use a recipe handed down from Mrs n's mum. It calls for 1/2 bottle of sherry. Mrs n's sister, some years back, read that as 1 to 2 bottles. She liked a drink so went for 2.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #15 on: 27 November, 2023, 01:02:15 pm »
Can't abide commercial versions as I don't like candied peel.

Candied peel is only really nice if you make your own. Obviously they won't be using home-made in commercial cakes though.

Instead of cake or pudding, I shall make an Ecclefechan Tart.
A large one, so there is more filling, less pastry.

Mmmm! I enjoy eating an Ecclefechan tart almost as much as I enjoy saying Ecclefechan out loud.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

rogerzilla

« Reply #16 on: 27 November, 2023, 03:42:02 pm »
Cottonseed oil is FAR preferable to the liquid paraffin - 'food grade white mineral oil' - used in my youth, in days of yore.

Raisins still sick together by the end of the pack...
Liquid paraffin would have unglamorous results on Boxing Day.  Maybe it helps get the Year's Biggest Poo out, after all that stodge.

« Reply #17 on: 27 November, 2023, 08:29:07 pm »
Brandy is standard practice here, in the mix and for the pre-storage feed. About 17 years ago, I think, I gave up regular feeds between the early October bake and the Christmas Eve dressing, as it has been known to turn into a soggy mess if tremendous care is not taken, and even to go mouldy due to repeated exposure to the air, despite what it's fed with.

A skewering and drizzling once cooled, then wrapping in parchment and foil then taping into a biscuit tin - that has routinely yielded excellent results.

Cointreau would see me smacked squarely in the mouth, as senior management is allergic to oranges and so finds anything remotely orange-tasting to be indistinguishable from the experience of comprehensive vomiting.

« Reply #18 on: 27 November, 2023, 08:39:06 pm »
My wife has made me them, and puddings, for over 40 years. My mother did it too and my wife sort of took over, including one or two for family members. This Saturday, it was wife, daughter and 4-year-old grandson all in the kitchen, while I sneaked off as instructed, to collect a present or two (25-mile round trip by bike, so not too bad!)  :thumbsup:

We don't drink, so no sherry or brandy, but looking forward to testing. We had one of last year's leftover puddings yesterday for lunch too :thumbsup:

« Reply #19 on: 06 December, 2023, 01:01:39 am »
We don't drink, so no sherry or brandy

Nobody drinks cake.

« Reply #20 on: 06 December, 2023, 03:28:56 pm »
My sister will make the cake. She has a recipe from some friends that makes a very large cake. She calls it a "white cake" - I forget why - something to do with the fruit being different.
I don't know if she puts alcohol into it. Our previous Christmas Cake recipe certainly didn't have alcohol in it as that one came from my grandmother who didn't drink. (Regardless of the strictness of your principles, if you have never acquired the taste for alcohol I'm told it tastes disgusting.)

My mother had to try various shops before she could get peel to put in her homemade mincemeat.

« Reply #21 on: 10 December, 2023, 11:04:30 am »
We finally got the spoons to together to make our annual “Christmas” cake. So it’ll be cooking from 12 to around 3:30. Then tomorrow, when thoroughly cooled, removed from tin and baking paper, double wrapped in foil and put into the tin we have for it. I’ll also pierce it in a grid with a wooden barbecue stick, and start injecting the brandy.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

rogerzilla

« Reply #22 on: 20 December, 2023, 11:10:31 am »
Took it out for a pre-marzipan check. All good - moist but no soggy bottom (I seriously overfed the 2022 cake).

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #23 on: 20 December, 2023, 11:28:01 am »

My first cake was a bit of a disaster. But the second one is a success..so far it's had a coat of marzipan, and 3 coats of royal icing. Tonight I shall try to pipe a border of shells round the top and write something christmasy in the top. It's decades since I last piped Icing, so it'll be interesting how it goes. My hand writing sucks at the best of times.

Hopefully, all being well, I'll take it to the office tomorrow.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #24 on: 20 December, 2023, 11:33:58 am »
I've been using cointreau in my christmas cake for years. Mostly because I don't like brandy.

Everything uneaten by 1st January is portioned and put in the freezer for bike fuel.

Haven't made one this year for the first time since I was about 17. I might do it this weekend.

Feeding is going well. I am still deciding on whether I want it ready for christmas or not.