Author Topic: What's caffeinating you today?  (Read 129394 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What's caffeinating you today?
« Reply #800 on: 10 August, 2023, 01:33:35 pm »
Sati's Moka Sidamo from the mini-Carrefour in the next village.  Surprising that a supermarket supplier bothers to produce a decent coffee, but it's really good.

So much for that: MrsT brought me a couple of half-kilo bags and it's as stale as any other supermarket coffee - minimal cremá and tastes just like the bottoms of the bag I bought a month ago.  Same batch, badly stored.

Just ordered some decent stuff.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #801 on: 15 August, 2023, 08:23:40 pm »
Right jumping on this. What coffee do I need to ask for

I'm a tea drinker, have tried coffee and managed laté in Italy but generally just can't get on with it

A few months ago was really tired and at weatherspoons for breakfast. After tea my mate said try an expresso from their machine and quite liked it, was a small drink but still a drink

In France a few weeks later had un café which again liked and thought was an expresso but again wad an actual drink kust a small one

Met some friends for breakfast Saturday, ordered expresso and was not much more then a cap full, much smaller then I'd had previously

Someone enlighten me as to what I need to ask for

Thanks

« Reply #802 on: 15 August, 2023, 08:49:32 pm »
an espresso is a small black, very strong, coffee. Un cafe in france. An espresso with added water is an Americano.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #803 on: 16 August, 2023, 10:03:45 am »

Someone enlighten me as to what I need to ask for

Thanks

You haven't really said what you're after.  If you want a drink to replace tea when you can't get it, then a large coffee with milk more or less fits.

In France, a large coffee will either be an espresso stretched with water or out of a jug of drip-brewed: if you're lucky the drip brew will be relatively recent, if not it'll be oven-cleaner.  You can ask for it with hot or cold milk or drink it without.

In most of France a large coffee with milk is called a crème, to rhyme with phlegm. Ask for a café and you'll get an espresso; if you want a very short, strong coffee you can ask for un café bien serré or a ristretto.  They usually taste better than straight espresso, but if you're adding sugar it doesn't make any difference.  In bars, cafés and tea rooms the coffee will be terrible anyway; in restaurants too, usually, but occasionally they'll surprise you.  Since I don't use sugar I always take a ristretto in restaurants, and elsewhere a café au lait because the milk covers the bitterness resulting from using cheap stale coffee and over-extracting it.

In Alsace at least a large milky coffee is un grand café au lait, adding chaud if you want it warm.  If you want an espresso you need to specify espresso, same goes for ristretto.  If you simply ask for a café you'll get an Americano or drip brew out of a jug. It'll be just as bad as anywhere else.

« Reply #804 on: 16 August, 2023, 02:18:33 pm »
I just wanted to know what it was as liked it.

I think what I've had is an americano

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #805 on: 16 August, 2023, 02:33:49 pm »
Ok. They originated when rough, tough GI's in Italy during WW2 found the espresso too strong and asked for it to be watered down.

I've heard it said that those nations whose word for coffee has the stress on the first syllable don't know how to make it.

« Reply #806 on: 16 August, 2023, 03:37:37 pm »
Coffee in France is most often not good. Usually under-extracted and using probably the lowest quality beans possible. The heart sinks when you see it come flying out of the espresso machine spouts.

Here are the two "Capucinnos" I had last week.

Yes, it is what you think it is. Unbelievable.

free image web hosting

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #807 on: 17 August, 2023, 08:17:49 am »
The top one's what I'd call a German cappuccino - I first ran across them in Paderborn, and a chum who had a café up near the German border made them that way since that's all his clients wanted. I once told him he should put a cherry on top.

The bottom one looks very like one I had in a village in Lorraine earlier this year, pulled by a flustered waitress who was obviously embarrassed by her lack of foaming skills.

Speaking of espresso machine spouts, I'm somewhat p'd off at Sage/Breville and their spouts, which dribble and splatter drops of coffee hither and yon. Unless you hold it up tight against the spouts, a standard espresso cup ends up looking like an unflushed toilet.

« Reply #808 on: 17 August, 2023, 08:26:35 am »
Well, I'm back home where the coffee is consistently excellent   ;D

I've managed to acquaint my palate to italian bar coffee to such an extent that I'm wary of buying anything above commercial grade beans lest the Italian stuff is rendered foul. There are two reasons why I'm on the bar stuff; it's comparatively cheap, instead of £30 kg it's £12-15, and sourcing it is quite fun. The nearest big TKMaxx is an absolute goldmine of the stuff with a wide and varying range that changes and its quite fun to go and see what they have. I've established which of the regular offerings are decent, and which to avoid, but they sometimes have some slightly offbeat stuff, like Attibassi from Bologna.

Currently on Mokarabia 100% Arabica, which is pretty decent. Full-bodied and nicely smoky.

« Reply #809 on: 23 August, 2023, 10:47:05 pm »
Cold brew coffee....talk to me

Currently got some nice coffee from a roaster and basically mixing the coffee in a jar with filtered water and leaving in the fridge for 12 hours and then running through a french press.

Is that it?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #810 on: 25 August, 2023, 01:35:24 pm »
Never tried cold brew - I'd probably drink a pint at one go and vasoconstrict myself to death.  As it is I just had my 6th shot of the day and won't be able to sleep a wink all afternoon.

Currently casting about for espresso brewing scales that don't cost my eye teeth and that actually work. The 5€ drug-dealer's scales I used for years have gone skew-whiff and won't settle on a stable figure any more, they just keep on counting and counting and counting ad infinitum.

« Reply #811 on: 04 September, 2023, 03:37:58 pm »
Not so much what, as whatwhom, or wherein or summat - these cups:

"Coffee & Cols", a  bargainalicious £5 for two cups and saucers from reception of the Stratford Velodrome (where I take Mrs Ham for Physio).

Added another two to the collection, especially as the coffee & cols ones are £17.50 EACH Even cycled there this time :D

(this one does not have the inside design, but even so....)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #812 on: 05 September, 2023, 05:18:34 pm »
Conversation with the lassie pulling the coffees at a pâtisserie I visited last ride but one:

- A ristretto, please.

- What's a ristretto?

... I explain ...

- Oh. The machine only has three buttons for volume.

:-\  :( and :sick: presumably

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #813 on: 04 October, 2023, 09:51:36 am »
This stuff: https://www.cafesximun.fr/produit/bella-ciao/

20% robusta but at 18g beans to 30g water it's brilliant.