Author Topic: Google slips  (Read 2939 times)

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
Google slips
« on: 04 July, 2010, 10:50:47 am »
After the Google map slip where they used the Gaelic instead of Welsh name for Wales, I came across another. There is a place called Londonderry. Google maps have it noted as "Londonderry/Derry"
Fair enough, you would say.
Except this is the one on the A1 in North Yorkshire.....which is NOT called "Derry".
Any other slips spotted?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Google slips
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2010, 10:57:27 am »
Plenty. Dez tells me that all map makers put deliberate mistakes into their maps to catch breaches of copyright.

The road along the dam at Hanningfield Reservoir, for example, is labelled "Middle Mead Close" on the map. It's really called Middlemead. There is a Middlemead Close, a small residential road in West Hanningfield village, built at the same time as the reservoir was constructed in the 1950s.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2010, 10:59:50 am »
Yup here. Holly Close and Berry Close don't even exist and Hawkings Road goes all the way to Church Road.

I reported the error 2-3 months ago and nothing have happened since. OSM got it bang on.

Wowbagger : I have heard that too before about the AtoZ.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

LEE

« Reply #3 on: 04 July, 2010, 11:00:30 am »
Plenty. Dez tells me that all map makers put deliberate mistakes into their maps to catch breaches of copyright.

The road along the dam at Hanningfield Reservoir, for example, is labelled "Middle Mead Close" on the map. It's really called Middlemead. There is a Middlemead Close, a small residential road in West Hanningfield village, built at the same time as the reservoir was constructed in the 1950s.

Thanks Wow.
That may finally explain "Liverpool - City of Culture"

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #4 on: 04 July, 2010, 11:54:28 am »
We followed Google maps' dirs to a venue once and ended up at the end of a cul-de-sac about half a mile from where we wanted to be >:(
Pen Pusher

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5 on: 04 July, 2010, 12:02:58 pm »
There is a few places in Wales, just north of Painshill. Where two paper maps either shows nothing or that it is a dirt track. But Google and street view showed us a beautiful paved road which we had a wonderful ride a on.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #6 on: 05 July, 2010, 10:32:29 am »
Copyright easter eggs are generally of the nature of non-existent cul de sacs or deliberate mis-spellings. Stuff that actually causes navigation problems is (one would hope) going to be a genuine error.

« Reply #7 on: 05 July, 2010, 10:46:56 am »
Exactly, not all errors are easter eggs, very few in fact. I seem to remember that there are usually just two or three easter eggs per Ordnance Survey 1:50000 Landranger sheet. And many are things that aren't obvious, such as just an extra kink in a river.

Lots of info here:-

Copyright Easter Eggs - OpenStreetMap Wiki

The "paper street" entry is interesting, and probably accounts for many streets that don't exist:-

"
Another type of error is the "paper street", where the developer of a subdivision submitted a plat to the government, but never laid out all the streets. Many local maps will include these, since mapmakers often produce maps by referring to the plats. Even TIGER is full of these. This is not a copyright issue, but a problem with accuracy.
"
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #8 on: 05 July, 2010, 10:49:05 am »
When I looked for the location of a parcel pick-up point in France they provided me with a map and picture of what is just an open field.  Fortunately I was able to discover that the real distribution point was also the dry cleaning, laundry and ironing dept of my local supermarket a couple of kilometres away.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #9 on: 05 July, 2010, 11:57:32 am »
What about motor car sat nav maps?

I've seen mistakes on them when I've been in a car with someone with sat nav. Things like a petrol station shown on the wrong side of the road even though said petrol station has been on the side of the road that it's on ever since it was built in the 60s I guess. Things like not showing a brand new roundabout are understandable.

Going a bit OT, but at a junction near me there are a set of lights that clearly state "BUSES ONLY" to allow buses to cross the junction - everyone else has go the long way round. I see quite a few very confused looking motorists waiting at the lights wondering why it says buses only. I can only assume their sat nav sent them that way. It has been buses only ever since the junction was built well over 20 years ago....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10 on: 05 July, 2010, 12:23:57 pm »
There is a seventy-odd mile stretch of road which parallels the Colorado-Wyoming border.  Google maps believes it exists, and the satellite view backs up its claim.  My elderly Michelin road atlas also shows it, although it erroneously believes it to be paved for its entire length.  Hertz' twatnav, however, spent the entire seventy miles telling me to turn round and return to Baggs WY, as I was apparently driving straight across country.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #11 on: 06 July, 2010, 11:36:41 pm »
In StreetView, on the border of Southend, most of the areas of Hadleigh/Daws Heath/Thundersley/Benfleet are all shown as being on Canvey Island.    Google have not responded to my reports of errors.

Google Maps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12 on: 07 July, 2010, 11:20:33 pm »
The first time I heard of deliberate errors in maps was not a copyright issue, but a military one. The Soviet Union used to include them in all road atlases and maps until the late 1980s, when they finally realised that if the Americans did invade, they wouldn't be using Soviet publications.  ::-)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #13 on: 08 July, 2010, 09:02:58 am »
The first time I heard of deliberate errors in maps was not a copyright issue, but a military one. The Soviet Union used to include them in all road atlases and maps until the late 1980s, when they finally realised that if the Americans did invade, they wouldn't be using Soviet publications.  ::-)

Talking of deliberate errors for military purposes - my grandfather spent much of WW2 frigging with road signs. Turning them around or putting up new ones with totally inaccurate mileages to confuse those pesky Germans should they invade.

Judging by the bullshit on some of the old signs on country lanes around here, his work lives on!  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #14 on: 08 July, 2010, 09:07:49 am »
Judging by the bullshit on some of the old signs on country lanes around here, his work lives on!  :)

It's just been absorbed into the Sustrans NCN...   ;)
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #15 on: 08 July, 2010, 09:43:15 pm »
In my village, the Rabbit Sanctuary is about 200m out so there are rabbits stopping me for directions. Most seem to be close to the pub, for some reason.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #16 on: 10 July, 2010, 11:30:46 pm »
In StreetView, on the border of Southend, most of the areas of Hadleigh/Daws Heath/Thundersley/Benfleet are all shown as being on Canvey Island.    Google have not responded to my reports of errors.

Have you tried writing a song about it?

edit: fixed the link  ::-)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #17 on: 12 July, 2010, 04:26:56 pm »
I saw a documentary about the AtoZ on BBC4 (IIRC) a while ago, in which they gave a demonstration of inserting a copyright Easter Egg.

It was fascinating. Honest.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #18 on: 12 July, 2010, 10:50:33 pm »
Bart's 1:100k did it - put in a bit that was correct, just to fool everybody.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.