Author Topic: [HAMR] UMCA Clarification  (Read 3816 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
[HAMR] UMCA Clarification
« on: 12 February, 2015, 11:40:52 am »
I got this email from Drew Clark which clarifies many issues that we have gone round in circles on:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:Wed, 11 Feb, 2015 at 2:16
Subject:Fwd: 1year TT - the 2 rider permutations

Dear Matt,

Thanks for your question.

Here is how it will play out:
1. No certification will occur for a rider until the last possible riding day has elapsed for that rider. Even if a rider affirms their attempt is over prematurely, (say for an injury), the possibility does exist that the rider might resume.

2. Certification will occur in the order of start/finish date. Abraham Jan 1/Dec 31; Pruett Jan 4/Jan 3 2015; Searvogel Jan 9/Jan 8 2015. Thus Abraham can have a certified record before the others finish and will be, for a short time at least, the only certified record holder, regardless of the mileage of the others, because they will not have completed their riding days yet.

3. Certification is by age/gender category. Official ages are: Abraham is 41; Searvogel is 52; and Pruett is 49.
Thus , Searvogel WILL get a record assuming no DQ, since he is the only rider in the 50-59 category. Abraham and Pruett go head-to-head in the same age category 18-49.

4. If at the end of a rider’s attempt, he does not qualify for a record, I will still certify the distance covered for their own personal use, but it will not be a record.

5. An overall record is not certified separately from the age category records. Obviously, if riders in two different age categories each hold a record, the overall record is the one with the most mileage, but it is not certified separately.

6. The original by Thompson record, though well recognized, was never certified by any certifying body. The attempts currently under way will be the first to be certified by UMCA (or any certifying body) and thus a record can be certified even at mileage less than the Thompson mileage.

7. Riders may seek simultaneous certification from other bodies (such as Guinness Book of World Records). though I have not heard that any are doing so.

UMCA Records Chairman
Drew Clark
Erie CO
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

paul851

Re: UMCA Clarification
« Reply #1 on: 12 February, 2015, 11:48:50 am »
Cheer's mattc  :thumbsup:
That makes everything clear,assuming Thompson = Godwin ?

Paul

« Reply #2 on: 12 February, 2015, 12:21:15 pm »
Kurt is 52 years old. Ye gods!

« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2015, 12:25:05 pm »
I think the ages are as of the end of their ride. Press reports were saying that Steve is 40 at the moment.

It does beg the question that if you were to start as a 49 year old and finish as 50 which age category would the recode be recorded against.  :demon:

« Reply #4 on: 12 February, 2015, 01:09:44 pm »
Presumably the latter.

« Reply #5 on: 12 February, 2015, 03:43:12 pm »
6. The original by Thompson record, though well recognized, was never certified by any certifying body. The attempts currently under way will be the first to be certified by UMCA (or any certifying body) and thus a record can be certified even at mileage less than the Thompson mileage.

What he said? Does this mean that Steve is competing against no one? Pruett is so far behind, Tarzan is in another category, and according to UMCA, Tommy Godwin doesn't even exist! If I understand this correctly, Steve already holds the official record in the 18-49 category!!!

« Reply #6 on: 12 February, 2015, 03:47:41 pm »
Hold on, why did you not ask about the booze?

Surely they could "clarify" this matter to our satisfaction.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 12 February, 2015, 03:52:42 pm »
But theoretically IronOx can take the 40-49 record until the last possible date, so, while it seems unlikely that Steve will be surpassed by Pruett, it won't be certain until then.  Steve will have set a record, but not yet.  He won't be able to set a record of any description until accreditation after Dec 31.

So, no, Steve doesn't hold a record.

Steve is currently 40, so they are using the finishing ages.
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 12 February, 2015, 04:45:38 pm »
It wouldn't work because the clarification #1 would apply.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 12 February, 2015, 05:37:52 pm »
Hold on, why did you not ask about the booze?

Surely they could "clarify" this matter to our satisfaction.
It just wasn't on my mind at the time! Plus its a much more sensitive subject - it seemed perfectly safe to ask about the other issues.

Happy to pass on further questions. I wasn't sure Drew wanted his contact details made public (they may of course already be somewhere else!). Doug's email address is on the velocipede salon thread - I emailed him, who then sought further clar'n from Drew.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles