Author Topic: Northern Shoulder Injury  (Read 2466 times)

Northern Shoulder Injury
« on: 06 June, 2011, 09:43:53 pm »
I was riding through Haslingden ten or so evenings ago when a pub brawl spilled out into the street.  I'll spare you the more interesting stuff but the result for me was that I received a bang   on the back of my upper arm, just below the shoulder joint.  I was able to ride the dozen miles home, though the arm felt "funny".  Since then, it's varied in how much discomfort I have had; generally-speaking, I can manage ok and can easily have "no-pain" postures, so I don't think there is a break (he opined from absolutely no knowledge of these matters).  I'm wondering if the bonehead who barged into me has exacerbated an old rotator-cuff problem I had?  I have pretty much a full range of movement, except that I can't get my arm up my back the way I could before.  But I'm disappointed at just how painful it can be, with no warning and without being able to predict which movements will cause "discomfort".

Any ideas?

(I'd like to be able to cry off decorating but I expect it will have to be done with the other arm!)

Re: Northern Shoulder Injury
« Reply #1 on: 06 June, 2011, 09:45:40 pm »
I believe the Northern Shoulder is the one with the chip on it.

IGMC.

« Reply #2 on: 06 June, 2011, 09:47:35 pm »

IGMC.
Nice!  But I come from a big family; no chip has ever gone uneaten.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 06 June, 2011, 09:51:37 pm »
Get yourself seen by a professional (sports physio or GP -> orthopod). Speculating without seeing is idle.

« Reply #4 on: 06 June, 2011, 09:56:31 pm »

Sorry, Peter.  I was thinking of Ol' Big 'Ead after seeing The Damned United last night.

« Reply #5 on: 06 June, 2011, 09:57:26 pm »
Get yourself seen by a professional (sports physio or GP -> orthopod). Speculating without seeing is idle.

Helen, I thought that's what you'd say  - but I wanted to see you say it!  I will go down this route.  The frustrating thing is that I actually saw a physio on Friday about my knee.  He was so good at producing the pain I suffer from there (an old cartilege operation) that I forgot to ask about my shoulder!  In any case, I expect he would have told me I'd have to be referred separately about it.

Thanks for your reply.

« Reply #6 on: 06 June, 2011, 09:59:26 pm »

Sorry, Peter.  I was thinking of Ol' Big 'Ead after seeing The Damned United last night.

No problem.  Cloughie also came from a big family - and had a gammy knee (see above reply), so that almost makes me famous - and probably a boor, too!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 06 June, 2011, 10:03:51 pm »
Helly is utterly and completely right, and tha's a reet daft numptie if tha dunt.
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 06 June, 2011, 10:06:48 pm »
Helly is utterly and completely right, and tha's a reet daft numptie if tha dunt.

If one understands your meaning correctly, Clarrers, old chap, one has been a "reet daft numpty" all one's life and is in danger of compounding same!

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #9 on: 06 June, 2011, 10:20:31 pm »

IGMC.

We northerners prefer to keep a chip on both shoulders. ::-)

« Reply #10 on: 07 June, 2011, 12:38:35 pm »
That's Haslingden for you  ::-)

Which pub was it ?

« Reply #11 on: 07 June, 2011, 12:49:15 pm »

Which pub was it ?

Not sure!  It was on the main crossroads.

« Reply #12 on: 07 June, 2011, 02:31:43 pm »

Which pub was it ?

Black Bull or the Commercial Hotel then (or that's what they were called when I was going out there).
I keep threatening to take my GF to where I grew up and show her the sites sights.

Good luck with the shoulder BTW  :thumbsup:

« Reply #13 on: 07 June, 2011, 08:10:44 pm »

Which pub was it ?

Black Bull or the Commercial Hotel then (or that's what they were called when I was going out there).
I keep threatening to take my GF to where I grew up and show her the sites sights.

Good luck with the shoulder BTW  :thumbsup:

Threatening and Haslingden go together well!  Also, I read that as:

I keep threatening to take my GF to where I grew up and show her the shites.