Author Topic: Kitting out Scouts  (Read 5924 times)

Kitting out Scouts
« on: 06 July, 2011, 12:55:25 pm »
Agh !  What have I done ?

Mini-hatler is in the Cubs, and I got wind of a cycle camping trip being organised for the Scouts.

Nine of them, unsupported, 30 miles cycle one day, camping on a farm, then 20 miles on the next day.

I offered some advice to 'Skip' on pannier selection, and I have now volunteered to check bikes, select racks, select panniers, fit racks and panniers, check bikes, etc etc. All to be done by Thursday evening next week. I think I have three evenings free between now and then.

Erk !
Rust never sleeps

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Kitting out Scouts
« Reply #1 on: 06 July, 2011, 01:14:43 pm »
Agh !  What have I done ?

Forgotten your woggle?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #2 on: 06 July, 2011, 04:30:02 pm »
Just wait; one of them is bound to turn up on a brakeless BMX
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3 on: 06 July, 2011, 04:40:12 pm »
If my experience taking our cubs cycling is anything to go by, you'll need: -

Spare brake/gear cables
Spare tubes
A magic wand to remove the stupid rear sus spring
A spoke key
Lots of little M5 bolts

Other than that you're sorted  ;D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #4 on: 06 July, 2011, 04:44:23 pm »
If my experience taking our cubs cycling is anything to go by, you'll need: -

Spare brake/gear cables
Spare tubes
A magic wand to remove the stupid rear sus spring
A spoke key
Lots of little M5 bolts

Other than that you're sorted  ;D

Thanks. Good thinking.

Spare brake/gear cables - Yup
Spare tubes - Yup
A magic wand to remove the stupid rear sus spring - Not a hope
A spoke key - Yup
Lots of little M5 bolts - Yup

I have a bag of odds and sods, nuts and bolts, what have you. I expect it to be fully exhausted by the time I am finished.

Rust never sleeps

« Reply #5 on: 06 July, 2011, 05:15:17 pm »
Track pump (you'll be repairing and constantly inflating ancient leaky tyres)

patches and tiptop glue for the tubes that are a really odd size or when you can't get the wheel out.

Some old inner tubes for making tyre boots.

A whole bunch of cable ties of different sizes + insulation tape for fastening/repairing mudguards, cables, etc.

Oh, and don't let the kids at the cable ties; one is bound to put a tie round their wrist and pull it tight (like a kid did last week when I was on a school trip).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6 on: 06 July, 2011, 05:27:21 pm »
Track pump (you'll be repairing and constantly inflating ancient leaky tyres)

patches and tiptop glue for the tubes that are a really odd size or when you can't get the wheel out.

Some old inner tubes for making tyre boots.

A whole bunch of cable ties of different sizes + insulation tape for fastening/repairing mudguards, cables, etc.

Oh, and don't let the kids at the cable ties; one is bound to put a tie round their wrist and pull it tight (like a kid did last week when I was on a school trip).

Thanks !!

Note that they're doing this unsupported and unaccompanied. I won't be with them on the ride, but I will be taking all my tools and spares (including all of the things you have listed) to the rack fitting session on Tuesday. I think I had better put some kits together for them as well; gaffer tape, cable ties, insulating tape, etc etc.

When they do the ride I will be about 350 miles away and most probably on a surf board.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #7 on: 06 July, 2011, 05:35:32 pm »
YHA membership for the troup, they can then stay at a YH reather than camp and carry their kit in either saddlebags or a rucksack.

That was how we did it in my day, though Dad (we had adult supervision) taking the rucksack from a struggling rider and putting it on my back as I was using a saddle bag was a bit unfair.

« Reply #8 on: 06 July, 2011, 05:46:57 pm »
The overnight stop at the farm is part of the deal. It's owned by an ex-Scout of the troop.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #9 on: 06 July, 2011, 05:49:18 pm »
I wouldn't give them cable ties.

It's not an easy job, getting a cable tie off a wrist when it's been pulled tight. You only have a few minutes to do it.

Gaffer and insulation tape instead.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 06 July, 2011, 09:55:13 pm »
Releasable cable ties?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11 on: 06 July, 2011, 10:46:21 pm »
IME, tubes will be 26 inch by 2 anna bit.  Plus one kid on 24 inch.

Presumably (hah!) they should know how to change a tube (it's part of the cyclist's badge). In fact if you go to

http://scouts.org.uk/supportresources/546/cyclist-activity-badge/?cat=56,135,156&moduleID=10 you'll see the syllabus.

Check the pumps they have (a) work and are (b) compatible with the valves they have.

Suggest very very strongly they wear cycling mitts. Available for a few quid from a supermarket near you. We had one lad a couple of years ago who crashed off his bike and gashed his hand badly on landing. Mitts would have saved that, and hands are a bugger to hold together with sticking plaster.

Do you need any more racks?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #12 on: 06 July, 2011, 10:51:57 pm »
I love this place !!

Some great advice from all over, so thank you all. (And in addition to the posts here one yacfer (+ possibly another) has even offered to turn up on Tuesday evening to help with the fettling !!)

Tim H. Not sure how many racks we need for the moment. I'll be working that out over the next couple of days. Are you offering ?  That's brill. How many do you have spare ?

Racks required = Total number of bikes less those that already have a rack fitted less those that can't take a rack. I know one has a rack, so max of eight for the moment.

Good call on the mitts as well. This is a road ride through the quiet back lanes of Suffolk.

And I am assured that they all know how to fix a puncture.

Rust never sleeps

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13 on: 06 July, 2011, 11:19:03 pm »

Tim H. Not sure how many racks we need for the moment. I'll be working that out over the next couple of days. Are you offering ?  That's brill. How many do you have spare ?

I think there's three spare in the SEECRIT BUNKER. Two for certain.  Let me know if you need them, and we'll work out how to get them to you.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #14 on: 07 July, 2011, 09:40:25 am »

I think there's three spare in the SEECRIT BUNKER. Two for certain.  Let me know if you need them, and we'll work out how to get them to you.

Thank you thank you.  It may not work out, but if these are needed I'll be in touch.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #15 on: 07 July, 2011, 10:37:40 am »
Will point clarion ove this way, we might be able to help. Have you seen the bikes yet? Let us know if you need anything and I'll see what we can find.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #16 on: 07 July, 2011, 11:11:44 am »
Will point clarion ove this way, we might be able to help. Have you seen the bikes yet? Let us know if you need anything and I'll see what we can find.

This is all fabulous. I didn't start this thread looking for help at all. Thank you !!

No, not seen the bikes yet. When I have I will report back here.

One is new (just been delivered in the box). Parents do cycle and will be putting it together this evening. It has a rack, so that's two now identified as having racks. Seven unknowns still to go.
Rust never sleeps

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #17 on: 07 July, 2011, 12:22:00 pm »
Yup.  We might be able to help.  Just let us know.
Getting there...

« Reply #18 on: 07 July, 2011, 01:01:50 pm »
Yup.  We might be able to help.  Just let us know.
Thank you !!!

I'll post an assessment of where I'm at when I've seen them all.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #19 on: 12 July, 2011, 11:03:15 pm »
A two and a half hour session and the wonderful Things and I managed to clash on (I think) five racks as well as give seven (?) bikes a reasonable fettle.

Luckily only one bike needed serious work, most of the others were in better than expected condition (mostly through not being used !)

I would never have been able to do all of that on my own in the time available, so I am seriously indebted to Joth and Emma for volunteering (and having such a wonderful array of tools and spares, some of which were generously donated for free).

I never fail to be amazed at how bicycles bring out the very best in people.

Rust never sleeps

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #20 on: 13 July, 2011, 03:21:05 pm »
A two and a half hour session and the wonderful Things and I managed to clash on (I think) five racks as well as give seven (?) bikes a reasonable fettle.

Luckily only one bike needed serious work, most of the others were in better than expected condition (mostly through not being used !)

I would never have been able to do all of that on my own in the time available, so I am seriously indebted to Joth and Emma for volunteering (and having such a wonderful array of tools and spares, some of which were generously donated for free).

I never fail to be amazed at how bicycles bring out the very best in people.

No problem -- was a fun way to spend an evening, at least for a change! Amazed we didn't need to change a single brake/gear cable, or inner tube.
As ever I was impressed by Thing2's handywork with the wheel truing, she managing a good job on a somewhat tired wheel, even though I'd not thought to bring the truing stand.

Last time I was in the proximity of a scout group for that long I was looking up to them as the scary big boys! (I was a cub wot never graduated).
The girl scouts seemed to be 3 years older than their boy peers. I guess that's typical for their age.....

« Reply #21 on: 13 July, 2011, 08:28:21 pm »
Do tell us how they get on. I have taken my Troop youth hostelling variously to Cambridge and (before they closed) to Saffron Walden, Castle Hedingham and Ivinghoe. Not tried cycle camping, although I did it myself as a Scout to Jodrell Bank.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #22 on: 27 July, 2011, 07:40:28 am »
The local Group Scout Leader lives next door and Twinkle Toes is a Scout in his group having risen through the ranks from Cubs.  I have done a bike fettling session and helped out with assessing the Cubs for their bike riding badge.  It was good fun if tiring, among other things you need eyes in the back of your head - one Cub managed to fall in the washing up bowl of water we were using to repair a puncture!

Your biggest risk Hatler is getting roped in to be a leader - this manoeuvre has been tried on me without success.   As I don't have the patience of a saint I decided I was unsuitable for the role.  People that work with kids in their spare time are amazing in my view!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #23 on: 27 July, 2011, 03:11:11 pm »
The local Group Scout Leader lives next door and Twinkle Toes is a Scout in his group having risen through the ranks from Cubs.  I have done a bike fettling session and helped out with assessing the Cubs for their bike riding badge.  It was good fun if tiring, among other things you need eyes in the back of your head - one Cub managed to fall in the washing up bowl of water we were using to repair a puncture!

Your biggest risk Hatler is getting roped in to be a leader - this manoeuvre has been tried on me without success.   As I don't have the patience of a saint I decided I was unsuitable for the role.  People that work with kids in their spare time are amazing mad in my view!

FTFY  ;D

(Akela - 1st Gosforth Cub Scouts)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #24 on: 27 July, 2011, 08:14:32 pm »
What else would we do with our time?

(SL, 11th Hitchin Scouts)