Author Topic: Mavic Krysium strength?  (Read 3422 times)

Mavic Krysium strength?
« on: 02 April, 2018, 04:19:26 pm »
Have a pair of the above wheels although that's probably spelt incorrectly. I'm guessing there the basic ones and about 18 months old. I purchased these for my fast road. I have now got a lovely thorn club tour and had planned to use the original wheels from the road bike on this but hadn't realised they're narrow rims - 14's so limited in tyres. The mavics are 18's so thinking of using these as can obviously take much wider tyres. Do people think they'll be up to light touring and maybe a few Audax and general riding trying to avoid too much COR but possibly a few tracks?

Re: Mavic Krysium strength?
« Reply #1 on: 02 April, 2018, 04:31:49 pm »
they are quite strong wheels (in most incarnations) but like any other without many spokes in, should you break a spoke the bike may become unrideable.

You don't say how wide a tyre you are thinking of but some folk run wide tyres on narrow-ish rims and don't mind.

cheers

« Reply #2 on: 02 April, 2018, 04:43:24 pm »
Not entirely sure of width but will probably be 30 something.

« Reply #3 on: 02 April, 2018, 09:42:50 pm »
I've seen a few Ksyrium rims spilt along the edge of the surface the spokes screw into (only one of them mine).

I'd have thought Audax would be fine, but I'd be reluctant to hang panniers on them unless you're a lot lighter rider than me...
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #4 on: 02 April, 2018, 09:47:15 pm »
I'm lightweight and have used 8 pairs of Ksyriums over the last 10 years without any issues.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2018, 09:52:11 pm »
I have Ksyriums on my Audax bike, and they seem well up for that, but I do ride fairly light in the Audax spectrum.

I've got Axiums on my other bikes, and I've had no end of trouble with them.
They seem to be rather cheaply assembled, and all of them have had the rear NDS spokes become totally loose.
Other people I know have had similar issues.
Because they are typically used as winter all-weather wheels, the nipples become seized and it's a PITA to fix them as it usually requires the spokes to be cut out and replaced.
And for a cheap wheel, that's often not worth the bother.

But the thing is, they remain pretty true even with half of the spokes doing nothing.
That must be a testament to the rim's rigidity, I suppose.
But I expect that the wheels are at risk of pringling if I hit something unexpected and the rims suddenly decide they've had enough.

« Reply #6 on: 03 April, 2018, 08:38:38 am »
I have a Ksyrium rim which I've cut in half - so all that remains is a  180° arc - It is surprisingly rigid, when subjected to as much flex as I can give it with my arms.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #7 on: 03 April, 2018, 11:28:22 am »
I used mine in PBP, I was 105kg then, add bike and stuff on it and it was around 120kg. no problems, and I still use them.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #8 on: 03 April, 2018, 01:51:58 pm »
ime, they are very strong for their weight (~1.5kg), i'd like a better designed freehub ideally, but with the regular service (every 2000km or so) it does the job. bearings are super smooth and last the lifetime of the rim.

« Reply #9 on: 03 April, 2018, 08:50:34 pm »
I had a set of Ksyrium Elites (steel bladed spokes) on my summer bike that were nice...until the rear hub flange failed and effectively wrote the wheel off as it wasn't economic to repair. I'd not buy Mavic again as I see the same design weakness in all their rear hubs (at least as of the last time I looked).

Based on that experience I'd get repairable handmade wheels for any heavy-duty application.

« Reply #10 on: 03 April, 2018, 09:13:03 pm »
I'd not contest that.
My Ksyriums are on my leisure bikes.
On my die-hard-deliver-every-day bike I have wheels built by Arup Sen on Goldtec hubs, which have proved to be bomb-proof.

« Reply #11 on: 03 April, 2018, 10:16:17 pm »
I reckon 30 mm tyres would be fine on your 14 mm rims.

(I ran 2 1/4" tyres on rims with a 17 mm inner diameter for a while before I finally built up the replacement wheels. Didn't die.)

« Reply #12 on: 04 April, 2018, 06:18:49 am »
Thanks everyone. Have gone for it for now. Will change at some point as will be fitting a dynamo to the bike at some point.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #13 on: 09 April, 2018, 09:26:18 pm »
I have just destroyed my Ksyrium front wheel.

I was attempting to fit a Schwalbe Pro One, which was a Bastard Tight fit.
I was using a standard blue Park tyre lever, with Unreasonable Force.
I managed to bend the braking surface of the rim in, making a huge dent.
Straightening it out carefully with wide jawed pliers caused it to split along the circumference.
It's f*cked.

I suspect a VAR type lever would have been a better bet.

Does anyone want a pair of new Schwalbe Pro Ones for free?

« Reply #14 on: 10 April, 2018, 10:47:42 am »
I have just destroyed my Ksyrium front wheel.

I was attempting to fit a Schwalbe Pro One, which was a Bastard Tight fit.
I was using a standard blue Park tyre lever, with Unreasonable Force.
I managed to bend the braking surface of the rim in, making a huge dent.
Straightening it out carefully with wide jawed pliers caused it to split along the circumference.
It's f*cked.

I suspect a VAR type lever would have been a better bet.

Does anyone want a pair of new Schwalbe Pro Ones for free?

ow!

If you are serious about the tyres I have some rims I could break trying to fit them too.... ;)

cheers

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #15 on: 14 April, 2018, 10:27:30 pm »
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156355220724826&set=a.10150422819294826.379530.602374825&type=3&theater

One of my club mates had a spoke failure today.

If you are worried about wheel durability buy a 36 hole rear hub and find a good wheel builder. I have build my own wheels for a while and have no spoke breakages since I bought a spoke tension meter. There again I have broken spokes on the two low spoke count wheels I have bought in the last few years.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #16 on: 15 April, 2018, 07:50:48 pm »
I've got a rear wheel that will probably do for a while but need to get round to sourcing a Dyno front wheel

« Reply #17 on: 29 April, 2018, 10:21:44 pm »
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156355220724826&set=a.10150422819294826.379530.602374825&type=3&theater

If you are worried about wheel durability buy a 36 hole rear hub and find a good wheel builder. I have build my own wheels for a while and have no spoke breakages since I bought a spoke tension meter. There again I have broken spokes on the two low spoke count wheels I have bought in the last few years.

BB
;DTo be fair, they lasted well with about 18,000km over 7 years with a few mountain passes crossed on them :thumbsup: That was my first ever broken spoke. The only issue with them is that a broken spoke isn't replaceable unless you send the wheel back to Mavic.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #18 on: 01 May, 2018, 08:39:23 pm »

BB
;DTo be fair, they lasted well with about 18,000km over 7 years with a few mountain passes crossed on them :thumbsup: That was my first ever broken spoke. The only issue with them is that a broken spoke isn't replaceable unless you send the wheel back to Mavic.
There again PAC you are inside the weight limit for these wheels and you are light enough not to worry. By my estimation I am close to the stated weight limits. If you are worried go for more spokes and hand build wheels with slightly wider rims. The weight increase is low and the cost will be lower if you buy good hubs and only need to replace the rims.
BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.