Author Topic: Changes at CUK HQ  (Read 2175 times)

Philip Benstead

• Cycling4ALL - say No Bike No Life
Changes at CUK HQ
« on: 29 January, 2024, 07:23:30 pm »

I understand there have been some redundancies at Cycling UK including Charry Allen.
In addition, Roger Geffen has left CUK HQ staff.
I understand from this month's CYCLE magazine page 7 that there are changes afoot.
I see there are many CUK jobs being advertised https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycling-uk-jobs

Community development officer (Greater Manchester) Home-based
Community development officer (Inverness) Home-based
Senior project officer Home-based
Head of brand, marketing, and communications Home-based
Senior marketing and communications project officer Home-based
Multimedia content producer Home-based
Public affairs officer Home-based
Public affairs manager Home-based
Events manager Home-based
Senior engagement officer Guildford Head Office
Head of product and sales Home-based

What conclusion can we draw?
PS. Given that Cycling UK has become a dynamic organisation, I wondered what is in store for CUK in the coming years.

With that in mind, I see that Sarah Mitchell the CEO of CUK has written a book on charities and change management I would like to know what her mindset is,

Unfortunately, the book is not cheap.
Does anyone have access to a cheap version of this book or has read it?

Charity Management: Leadership, Evolution, and Change (Charity and Non-Profit Studies) Hardcover – 29 July 2021
by Sarah Mitchell (Author)
1.0 1.0 out of 5 stars    1 rating
See all formats and editions
Purchase options and add-ons
Payment plans
Instalment options available

Britain faces challenges that weren’t imaginable thirty years ago, challenges which charities, rooted as they are in community action and the public good, should be ideally suited to tackle. But the charity sector seems paralysed. Even after a decade of cuts and immense social and environmental disruption charities are still fighting hard to maintain business as usual. To develop new responses to our changing world the charity sector desperately needs to reinvent itself, radically re-engaging with communities and developing powerful and scalable responses to the challenges facing the UK in the coming decades. What are the ties that bind charities, rendering them unable to re-invent themselves and to re-imagine their services, even when they face existential crises?

This book explores how charities in the UK really operate, as seen through the eyes of people who work in and with charities, and investigates what holds charities back from change. It demonstrates what we can learn from entrepreneurship and market disruption in the private sector, and points to ways in which the sector can re-imagine what it does and how it does this. It presents a new ambition for charities to break free of their history and imagine a new role for themselves in shaping the future for our society.

Presenting a new ambition for charities to imagine a new role for themselves in shaping the future for our society, this volume is especially valuable for academics and professionals in the fields of charity and non-profit management, organisational change, and strategic management.
Philip Benstead B.Env.Sc. (Hons.), NSI

Independent Cycle Campaigner and Cycle Consultant
DfT accredited BikeAbility Instructor / L3 Mechanic
07949801698 cycling4westminster@gmail.com

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Changes at CUK HQ
« Reply #1 on: 30 January, 2024, 11:40:37 am »
Possibly the same Sarah Mitchell? Click

As for Cherry Allen, I think she's Chris Juden's wife.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 30 January, 2024, 04:29:47 pm »
CUK's purpose in life seems to be providing opportunities to develop careers in the Charity sector.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
« Reply #3 on: 30 January, 2024, 04:36:02 pm »
Haven't read mine yet. I'm sorry to see Roger go, he has been there for a long time. He was in post when I was a Right to Ride rep.

Do we know if this is an indication of nefarious things afoot that has driven a mass exodus, or if it's just natural turnover?

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Philip Benstead

« Reply #4 on: 30 January, 2024, 05:33:16 pm »
Possibly the same Sarah Mitchell? Click NO

NO

Philip Benstead

« Reply #5 on: 30 January, 2024, 05:34:05 pm »
Haven't read mine yet. I'm sorry to see Roger go, he has been there for a long time. He was in post when I was a Right to Ride rep.

Do we know if this is an indication of nefarious things afoot that has driven a mass exodus, or if it's just natural turnover?

Sam

I think not.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #6 on: 30 January, 2024, 09:49:23 pm »
That book synopsis really suits this thead
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7 on: 30 January, 2024, 10:25:59 pm »

<Mode=namedropping>Last time I was on a tandem club ride with Chris and Mrs Juden,  she wasn't called Cherry Allen.
</Mode>
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 31 January, 2024, 08:04:28 am »

Sam
Wasn't he instrumental in the gerrymandered charity conversion?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #9 on: 31 January, 2024, 08:50:09 am »
The cat peed on my copy when it landed on the doormat yesterday, but I think that's more to do with her having a UTI than any views she holds on CUK.  Fortunately it landed with the associated leaflettage on top of the mag, which absorbed the damage.
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 31 January, 2024, 10:04:40 am »

<Mode=namedropping>Last time I was on a tandem club ride with Chris and Mrs Juden,  she wasn't called Cherry Allen.
</Mode>
The clue was probably in the name. (I was remembering a bike review in an aged edition of Cycle, where Mr Juden reviewed two bikes designed for short riders, one of which was ridden by his wife – and the other by Cherry Allen... )
(I also think CJ now needs to find a four-person tandem to review, ridden by himself, Mrs J, you and... Victoria your Queen?)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #11 on: 31 January, 2024, 11:01:45 am »
AIUI, in Warwickshire we can approach the local library and ask if a particular book is available and request that it be considered if not.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #12 on: 31 January, 2024, 11:04:01 am »

Sam

Yep.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

ravenbait

• Pudge controls the weather.
« Reply #13 on: 31 January, 2024, 12:56:20 pm »

Sam

Yep.

Oh. I only knew him from my campaigning days. That's disappointing.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #14 on: 04 February, 2024, 02:49:53 pm »
The cat peed on my copy when it landed on the doormat yesterday, but I think that's more to do with her having a UTI than any views she holds on CUK.  Fortunately it landed with the associated leaflettage on top of the mag, which absorbed the damage.

Is that the Unicycle and Trike Institute?

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #15 on: 07 February, 2024, 11:25:35 am »
 ;D
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #16 on: 10 February, 2024, 03:12:38 pm »
Can anyone confirm whether Roger Geffen has left CUK as indicated by the OP?

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #17 on: 10 February, 2024, 06:40:23 pm »

I understand there have been some redundancies at Cycling UK including Charry Allen.
In addition, Roger Geffen has left CUK HQ staff.
I understand from this month's CYCLE magazine page 7 that there are changes afoot.
I see there are many CUK jobs being advertised https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycling-uk-jobs

Community development officer (Greater Manchester) Home-based
Community development officer (Inverness) Home-based
Senior project officer Home-based
Head of brand, marketing, and communications Home-based
Senior marketing and communications project officer Home-based
Multimedia content producer Home-based
Public affairs officer Home-based
Public affairs manager Home-based
Events manager Home-based
Senior engagement officer Guildford Head Office
Head of product and sales Home-based

What conclusion can we draw?

As you know, charities like Cycling UK rely to a large extent on Government funding.  And there'll be tranches of money allocated for certain projects which require people in certain locations with particular skillsets, and when the money runs out or the project is completed, then those jobs are no longer available.

Redundancies and new vacancies at the same time isn't a new thing, so I wouldn't draw any conclusions from it.  Other than we've got an inept Government which is intent on further restricting funding for Active Travel.  But you know that.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein