Author Topic: Seville - a day on bikes  (Read 2325 times)

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
Seville - a day on bikes
« on: 25 January, 2017, 02:10:12 pm »
I'm not very good at City Break holidays - it can be 'just looking at stuff' following a guide's elevated umbrella.

However, with Vueling offering £25 fares Cardiff to Malaga, we thought we'd have some winter sunshine.

SO we pottered off to bike hire and served by Ali, cricket enthusiast and multilingual Pakistani.

Cold and clear at 10am in Marie Louisa park - the Mudejar pavilion in their 1919 World Exhibition park.

Thence across the Guadlaquivir river (= wadi-al-kabir in Arabic) to Monasterio de Cartuja -
used for some years as a pottery by enterprising Brit who added the chimney and bottle kilns.

There's also this fantastic tree (off to look up the name now) brought back from the Americas

and 'here's what we made here !

There were plenty of hip Sevillianos in the café there, but we had to get on . Into the University to cross the river again.

Plenty of the churches have clues of initial use as a mosque -  this one has retained a tiled dome

this one retains the muezzin's tower

All good things must come to an end - here we are defeated by 'crap cycle lanes!'

Ne'er mind it was time to head off for a cuppa and a cerveza to a shouty Spanish café across the river; ideal relaxation - oh and peaking temps at 19.5C !

Finale

Walking tour man pointed out this brass inlay symbol at sites previous occupied by Jews

'what's this?' he asked

'Hebrew characters' says I

'Nope , it's a map of Spain .
Clearly it's both !

I looked it up - someone will come along in a mo and read it for me !

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Seville - a day on bikes
« Reply #1 on: 28 January, 2017, 12:44:56 pm »
Rather stylised lettering. Hebrew does not have vowels.

Effectively S P N as you suspected...