Author Topic: Chippenham Flapjack - GPX file anyone?  (Read 2870 times)

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
Chippenham Flapjack - GPX file anyone?
« on: 08 February, 2013, 08:36:47 pm »
Err, has anybody got a GPX file for the Chippenham Flapjack please.
I'm not sure I'll be able to create one in time for Sunday.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

Re: Chippenham Flapjack - GPX file anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 08 February, 2013, 11:57:59 pm »
Err, has anybody got a GPX file for the Chippenham Flapjack please.
I'm not sure I'll be able to create one in time for Sunday.

There's something here http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/chippenham-flapjack-audax
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #2 on: 09 February, 2013, 07:39:24 am »
That's the old anticlockwise version. It's clockwise this year.

See you at the first control (Sherston).

« Reply #3 on: 09 February, 2013, 10:10:47 am »
That's the old anticlockwise version. It's clockwise this year.

See you at the first control (Sherston).

OOps.  Thanks for that Tony.

If the route is simply reversed this year, then anyone wanting a GPS file, download the file from the above site, use (say) Bikehike, and utilise the site's "reverse route" facility. Then use that file.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #4 on: 09 February, 2013, 10:44:14 am »
If the route is simply reversed this year, then anyone wanting a GPS file, download the file from the above site, use (say) Bikehike, and utilise the site's "reverse route" facility. Then use that file.

Beware, though, anywhere near the start and finish, which are in the same places as before, but not at the same location! (And the route to tomorrow's finish is a lot different to the old way from the start.)

« Reply #5 on: 09 February, 2013, 12:00:06 pm »
My version is here (I think it's right!):
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2121470

though as it's a pre-planned route (i.e. non ridden activity) it doesn't seem to load into Garmin Connect (it's ok in Base Camp or if you just copy the GPX/TCX export to a device)

Whilst playing with  the Route capabilities on Connect, I've also made a version here:
http://connect.garmin.com/course/2798860

It's my local club Audax so looking forward to it after last year's snow curtailed attempt!

Hope that helps!

Chris

« Reply #6 on: 09 February, 2013, 12:29:30 pm »
I've been traveling along the route, (virtually) using a KML in Google maps, it looks like a lovely route - many of the lanes regularly cycled with Cheltenham CTC when they actually went places.

« Reply #7 on: 09 February, 2013, 12:39:18 pm »
I suspect it will be a tad damp in places.  Just been around the Cotwolds this morning and there is a lot of water...and more heavy overnight rain predicted.  Could be one of those adventure rides  :)

See you tomorrow, I'll be the one wearing wellies.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #8 on: 09 February, 2013, 04:53:00 pm »
I got to the start last year but wasn't brave enough to toil through the snow and so DNS'd.
This year definitely going to be there, along with Mrs alfapete who may not like the look of it if it rains...
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #9 on: 09 February, 2013, 06:45:25 pm »
I'll be there with Audaxwebby of this parish.  Looking forward to the feast!

« Reply #10 on: 10 February, 2013, 01:29:00 pm »
Sad to say but I was not so much a DNS, more a Just Didn't Fancy It.  I got up early, prepped and set off...but turned around en route.  Temp of 3 degrees, roads incredibly wet (some HUGE puddles) and solid rain, which was forecast to last all day.  Very miffed but got home, went back to bed with a cup of tea and a bar of chocolate.

Ho hum.  That's two in a row I have failed to make for this one.   :-[

Anyone make it around rather than my p.poor effort?

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #11 on: 10 February, 2013, 04:42:08 pm »
Anyone make it around rather than my p.poor effort?

I was hoping this would be the first 100 I would ride with Mrs Bairdy.
The weather and her ongoing shoulder problems put paid to that.  :'(
I don't like to DNS and felt a bit down about it but managed to chop a big pile of logs that I've needed to do for a while.
I did ride a 200k perm on Friday so not going to beat myself up too badly.  ;)
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #12 on: 10 February, 2013, 04:47:12 pm »
It was 100km of unremitting grimness (well 130km by the time I'd ridden in and home). Constant heavy rain for all but the last 20 minutes, huge puddles, floods, mud, potholes and a headwind that just seemed to keep tracking you!
I absolutely loved it  :thumbsup:

A cracking job by Eric and his helpers as well, plenty of cake and coffee and never has beans on toast (served with military precision) tasted so good!!

« Reply #13 on: 10 February, 2013, 06:49:49 pm »
Wet!?  It certainly was and very mucky!

Unplanned but fortunately we missed the first control, which was a blessing as come Kemble, there was only one way back.  Some roads were absolutely dire, causing a friend to fall off when hitting 1 of the 1000 potholes out there. 

Countless p*¥ctures out there as well.

The controls were faultless and the service/support fantastic and much appreciated, thanks Eric and team. :thumbsup:

Great to ride with and see many new and old friends braving the conditions.  I think 100 out of the 150 entries completed.  I'm sure it would have been a much larger DNS if it were a 200km.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #14 on: 10 February, 2013, 09:36:06 pm »
It was 100km of unremitting grimness (well 130km by the time I'd ridden in and home). Constant heavy rain for all but the last 20 minutes, huge puddles, floods, mud, potholes and a headwind that just seemed to keep tracking you!
I absolutely loved it  :thumbsup:

A cracking job by Eric and his helpers as well, plenty of cake and coffee and never has beans on toast (served with military precision) tasted so good!!

Bah! 214Km of ECE by the end of day. 55k of headwind back, and it started raining again...

Strangely enjoyable, in a peverse sorta way ;)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #15 on: 11 February, 2013, 07:40:55 am »
Very "strangely enjoyable" indeed! Good to see Iddu (well ECEd against the wind) and alfapete (hope Mrs is ok, and also the potholed Mr V) and such a lot of enthusiasts, including people who survived getting very cold. Sorry to miss Mr and Mrs Bairdy (and quite a few others who wisely DNSd for various reasons).

And the food was, if possible, even better than ever!

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #16 on: 11 February, 2013, 07:25:51 pm »
There's something of the "Man against the elements" which makes me love conditions like this (at least, the weather).

However, the potholes weren't such fun and a downhill, streaming water and pothole combination made Mrs alfapete bail out sideways before heading for the steel railings which awaited her just across the T-junction. It was a soft and muddy landing and she bravely cycled on to the next control where she abandoned with a painful thumb/arm, later diagnosed as a fractured wrist (scaphoid). She got a lift back to the car from the very helpful Chippenham Wheelers crew - thanks in abundance to them for looking after her, Cheltenham A+E sorted her later.

I continued and toiled against the conditions and soon caught a group of those full value riders only to p*ncture. First tube got pinched so i was down to the last one but managed to get it to stay inflated and carry me to see TonyH of this parish who recommended me to this ride very early in my audax career! Not sure Mrs alfapete appreciated the recommendation. She's now facing 6 weeks of no driving and limited working, whilst I'm facing 6 weeks of ironing and making sandwiches for the kids.

Thanks to Eric and team - a well organised event and I really enjoyed it
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #17 on: 11 February, 2013, 08:00:26 pm »

Best wishes to Mrs alfapete for a very good recovery. That's a rather difficult junction in either direction (if the route is done the other way round next year [beautiful dry weather is planned], it's useful to select bottom gear in advance!). Hope to see you both next time, if not before.

« Reply #18 on: 28 January, 2018, 01:57:13 pm »
Is this a postal entry event only? Send cheque via snail mail? GPX or TCX files provided?

I’m keen to enter, but can’t find a 1st World way of doing it other than the above.

Many thanks.

« Reply #19 on: 28 January, 2018, 04:32:55 pm »
I hadn't seen this event before, looks very civilised. Only about an hour down the M5 for me.

« Reply #20 on: 28 January, 2018, 05:11:40 pm »
Rats. Just rung and the event is full.