Author Topic: Apple not-so-Magic Mouse 1  (Read 1921 times)

Apple not-so-Magic Mouse 1
« on: 12 February, 2018, 03:00:43 pm »
The above mouse appears to be losing its bluetooth connection with increasingly frequent regularity.
I've disconnected it and re-connected it - but that hasn't made any difference.

It's on the old machine which is ~2012 running OS 10.6.8 (Deliberately not upgraded from this as this will still run my PowerPC software)

Can anything be done or is it new mouse time - and if it is, will Magic Mouse II run with this operating system?

Pls & Thx.

ian

Re: Apple not-so-Magic Mouse 1
« Reply #1 on: 12 February, 2018, 03:44:33 pm »
Magic Mouse 2 says 'Bluetooth-enabled Mac computer with OS X v10.11 or later' so 'no.' Earlier versions should work on 10.5.8 and above.

There no real reason for bluetooth to stop working, other than innate diabolicalism, unless it's a hardware issue with either the mouse or computer. Do the usual PRAM/SMC resets for your machine and if that doesn't work, unpair and delete all devices. If that doesn't work, reset the bluetooth module (google for the instructions on your particular version of OSX).

Bluetooth does occasionally get flaky and, in my experience when it does it requires a reset. I had the same issue with this keyboard, it started spontaneously disconnecting, and more annoyingly sssssssssšhjjsasssssssłeqwrwqtyù for no reason, often creating a string of commands like close-this-app-and-no-don't-save-changes. Anyway, nuked it and reset everything and it's right as rain now.

If it is hardware, then USB Bluetooth dongles are cheap as chips these days and there's quite a few that claim Mac support at various OS levels.

« Reply #2 on: 12 February, 2018, 03:55:16 pm »
Ta muchly.
Bluetooth, having spent the last 5 minutes + searching, is saying 'No mouse found' and the spinny wheel continues.....

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2018, 04:12:50 pm »
Ta muchly.
Bluetooth, having spent the last 5 minutes + searching, is saying 'No mouse found' and the spinny wheel continues.....
In cases like this you have to hold the mouse up to the camera and shout at the computer 'its here you stupid waste of silicon. you should have been used to make a sand sculpture and even then you would have been over valued'. Feel free to add expletives to suit. It is unlikely to solve the immediate problem, but you will either feel a lot better or a total numpty depending on whether you are alone or in an office with other people.

HTH
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #4 on: 12 February, 2018, 06:59:52 pm »
In cases like this you have to hold the mouse up to the camera and shout at the computer 'its here you stupid waste of silicon. you should have been used to make a sand sculpture and even then you would have been over valued'. Feel free to add expletives to suit. It is unlikely to solve the immediate problem, but you will either feel a lot better or a total numpty depending on whether you are alone or in an office with other people.

HTH
You are Eddie Izzard and ICMFP.

Hmmmm......
PRAM and SMC have been reset, without any apparent effect.

An online checklist suggests that after doing the above, checking that the batteries have power (they do) and that the mouse is switched on (it is), to check the fit of your batteries especially if you favour rechargeable flavoured ones (I do) as these can sometimes be smaller than Duracells and the spring in the contact pusher might not be strong enough to give a clean connection.
Au contraire, my rechargeables are bigger than Duracells, and getting them into the mouse, does make the mouse squeal. A bit.
But I thought I'd check the terminals and sure enough, the + contacts were bit smeggy.
I deployed the Servisol Contact cleaner via a cotton bud, and am now awaiting the results of the longer term test.

G°d, how I hate intermittent faults

ian

« Reply #5 on: 12 February, 2018, 08:20:30 pm »
If it's available, click shift+option keys and then click on the Bluetooth menu item to reveal the hidden debug menu
Select “Reset the Bluetooth module” from the debug menu list. Also delete the file com.apple.Bluetooth.plist. This file is found at /library/preferences. Restart everything with nothing connected (including USB) and re-pair the devices.

It's also worth checking the there's no crud on the lens, it's a common pain with mine, owing to a fuzzy cat with very hairs that are perfect for refracting laser beams and have to tweezed out.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 12 February, 2018, 11:29:00 pm »
You don’t need tweezers, just a blob of bluetac kept on the corner of your monitor or desk.

Don’t ask our cats how I know this. (Or which Terminator Cat my first, smaller, piece of bluetac is now inside of)

Sorry for loss of thread subject contact.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #7 on: 13 February, 2018, 07:33:59 am »
Debug isn't available on my ancient OS, it's a thing of High Sierra, I believe.
However, for the moment, old mouse appears to be stable.

What is it with new mouse - when you move it rapidly from left to right and back again - as if you were using it to reveal the contents of a scratch card - the cursor becomes massive. What's that all about?

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #8 on: 13 February, 2018, 07:47:12 am »
It’s in system settings, possibly Accessibility.

« Reply #9 on: 13 February, 2018, 08:02:43 am »
Indeed it is. :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #10 on: 13 February, 2018, 08:46:02 am »
I find it very useful because I often lose it  ;D

ian

« Reply #11 on: 13 February, 2018, 09:07:31 am »
On a large screen it's very useful to quickly find the cursor. It also drives the aforementioned cat mad.

« Reply #12 on: 13 February, 2018, 07:18:31 pm »
On a large screen it's very useful to quickly find the cursor. It also drives the aforementioned cat mad.
Funnily enough, that's exactly how I use it - it had never occured to me that it might be a deliberate function - for finding the cursor, rather than driving the cat mad.
Although Part Time the cat who only makes herself known between November and April (coincidentally, the same months as I tend to run the central heating) is more interested in finding somewhere warm to sit than chasing a pixel cursor - Like the fan vent of the work lappy, or where the CH pipes cross the linoleum on the kitchen floor.
That is, until, I deploy the laser pointer......

ETA - Long term test on Old Mouse reveals that Old Mouse continues to scurry on. :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #13 on: 14 February, 2018, 01:47:31 pm »
Another piece of bluetac is missing.

Presumed to be inside the Terminator Cat.