Author Topic: crack?  (Read 2251 times)

crack?
« on: 26 February, 2018, 05:21:25 pm »
Is this a crack in formation of some sort?

There was a bit of rusty stuck around the area that I cleaned up already

Thanks!

Re: crack?
« Reply #1 on: 26 February, 2018, 05:29:30 pm »
Looks like it is.

Try leaning on the top of the stay whilst holding a finger across the crack, and see if you can feel any movement (assuming it's fit to have wheels put back in).

« Reply #2 on: 26 February, 2018, 05:40:52 pm »
Hi Andrew. It is undoubtedly a crack otherwise why would the painted finish be like it is.
What is the frame made of ?
What has likely caused the stress in the first place ?
If the frame is a steel one then it could be fairly easily and effectively repaired with Silver Solder/Braised after opening the damage with a very fine file or a fine abrasive wheel by your local frame builder.

Where are you based ?
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

« Reply #3 on: 26 February, 2018, 05:56:01 pm »
Hi Andrew. It is undoubtedly a crack otherwise why would the painted finish be like it is.
What is the frame made of ?
What has likely caused the stress in the first place ?
If the frame is a steel one then it could be fairly easily and effectively repaired with Silver Solder/Braised after opening the damage with a very fine file or a fine abrasive wheel by your local frame builder.

Where are you based ?

It is a steel frame (specialized sequoia elite) and it is only a year old...should be still within the warranty I hope, I'll be popping back to the shop with it :(

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #4 on: 26 February, 2018, 06:24:34 pm »
does look like a  crack. I had a crack on BB shell, and the advise given was to scrape the paint off with a stanley blade then inspect. This I did, and it was indeed a crack.
BUT if your frame is within warranty I would NOT do this.

« Reply #5 on: 26 February, 2018, 09:02:10 pm »
Hi again Andrew. Now I know the age and the material that it is made of then don't do anything that could invalidate the warranty or if it is just out of it then do anything that could jeopardize an 'act of kindness' by your dealer.
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

« Reply #6 on: 26 February, 2018, 09:51:12 pm »

It is a steel frame (specialized sequoia elite) and it is only a year old...should be still within the warranty I hope, I'll be popping back to the shop with it :(

good idea.

It does look very much like a crack BTW.

cheers

« Reply #7 on: 02 March, 2018, 08:44:44 am »
Hi again Andrew. Now I know the age and the material that it is made of then don't do anything that could invalidate the warranty or if it is just out of it then do anything that could jeopardize an 'act of kindness' by your dealer.

does look like a  crack. I had a crack on BB shell, and the advise given was to scrape the paint off with a stanley blade then inspect. This I did, and it was indeed a crack.
BUT if your frame is within warranty I would NOT do this.

good idea.

It does look very much like a crack BTW.

cheers

Well, so far good news. When I bought the frame in, dealer didn't even have a proper look at it, but said straight away that this will be a warranty job!

Just waiting for further news now, they'll be sending off the pics to specialized :)

« Reply #8 on: 19 March, 2018, 06:20:45 pm »
Final outome: Specialized provided me with a new bike! I only gave them the frame (minus all the parts) and they gave me a brand new bike, with all parts and wheels!

« Reply #9 on: 19 March, 2018, 06:49:26 pm »
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #10 on: 19 March, 2018, 09:27:21 pm »
Wanna sell the surplus bits?  ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #11 on: 19 March, 2018, 10:53:25 pm »
I'd be worried that, with rust inside, it would just happen again somewhere nearby. Obviously, given that it's a warranty replacement, no such repair will be considered with these forks anyway. However, having seen my son-in-law break his forks and land in the road, I'd be replacing mine at the first sign of trouble.