Author Topic: Freeing a stuck security skewer  (Read 1209 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Freeing a stuck security skewer
« on: 26 February, 2018, 05:50:11 pm »
A Pinhead skewer on the front wheel. It works just like a QR except that instead of opening a lever, you rotate a nut with a specially shaped key. Except that today it wouldn't release. The nut turns and that end comes loose but the other end is stuck. I guess it's corroded onto the steel fork. The Pinhead thing is also steel. Actually, I'm not entirely sure it's even that which is stuck, it might be the knurled aluminium nut on the hub itself. Any ideas?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Re: Freeing a stuck security skewer
« Reply #1 on: 26 February, 2018, 08:52:31 pm »
Percussive maintenance after a dose of Plus-Gas.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2 on: 27 February, 2018, 08:19:25 am »
Tried percussive, but wary of damaging hub. Didn't think of Plus Gas so will get some today.

« Reply #3 on: 27 February, 2018, 08:39:03 am »
If the 'nut' part is aluminium a hacksaw would be my preference. Even cutting half off will give some advantage. You may also be able to cut down. Requires a good quality 32 tpi blade a, help to hold the bike and some skill and confidence. The hex head locking skewers could be drilled, but I don't think that is the type here

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:08:32 am »
Most likely to be the skewer that is stuck inside the axle so be wary of rotation, especially if the fork has alloy dropouts. Spinning the bolt head might be spinning the axle which will chew away the dropout.

If the nut will come loose, get the nut off then drive the skewer out of the axle. If it's proper stuck don't muck about, change the axle. Use plenty of anti-seize on the new skewer.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #5 on: 27 February, 2018, 10:02:45 am »
Thank your lucky stars it isn't to fix a puncture at 3am on a rainy audax.

« Reply #6 on: 27 February, 2018, 10:11:37 am »
I agree the skewer is probably seized inside the hollow axle. Stainless steel plus road salt + almost any other metal  = corrosion!

If it is not too bad then you may be able to free it off but as suggested above if it is bad enough then a new axle may be the only viable solution.

more grease or anti-seize next time, eh....

cheers

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7 on: 27 February, 2018, 10:20:45 am »
The skewer is not rotating or moving anywhere, it's stuck solid. There is a nut on one end, which undid no problem, the other end is just a domed cap that's part of the skewer. I last removed it about a month ago, don't remember noticing any corrosion then, but there was loads of salt on the roads recently, including most recently Saturday.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #8 on: 27 February, 2018, 10:21:21 am »
Thank your lucky stars it isn't to fix a puncture at 3am on a rainy audax.
It's bad enough with a slow puncture at home!