Author Topic: Super-Twat  (Read 877080 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Super-Twat
« Reply #3050 on: 12 March, 2018, 07:09:27 pm »
I never understand the pointless typing of the word f*ck.  You've said f*ck.  In the full knowledge that everyone knows you mean fuck.  Therefore you have said fuck.

The style guide for the late lamented Rockall Times required the use of "f*uck", "c*unt", etc.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3051 on: 12 March, 2018, 08:01:12 pm »
The daft thing is words considered outrageous in the here and now were common parlance in the day.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3052 on: 12 March, 2018, 08:06:15 pm »
Quote from: madcow
An opinion held by a lot of Anglophones.
Dear God yes.  I still remember clearly the fuss some Little Englanders made when Susan Rae joined the BBC and you couldn't want clearer diction in an announcer.

Quote from: madcow
Is it patronising then when the BBC introduce subtitles even when the person is speaking English?
I thought that for a while and then it was pointed out to me that if you have even mild hearing impairment it can be very difficult to decipher what someone speaking English as a second or third language is saying.  In part because of unusual / atypical stressing of words and phrases and in part because of that person's accent.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3053 on: 12 March, 2018, 11:28:20 pm »
It's a variety of fun to read those 'parental guidance' movies reviews. Profanity and nipples score far more highly than the occasional mass slaying.

I remember when I was a tweenager (which was before that term had been invented, thankfully), that the preamble of rented films on VHS[1] would include a guy in a suit in front of a BBFC logo promising us, amongst other things, "sexual swear-words".  I was most disappointed when I realised that just meant someone would say "fuck".

As for the USAnian attitude to nipples, it's a lost cause.  Alarmingly, those nipple cover things (for censoring nipples in real life so people don't mistake the presence of normal anatomy for a sign of sexual arousal) seem to have migrated across the pond since I first became aware they were a thing.   ???

[1] Teenagers: Ask your parents.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3054 on: 13 March, 2018, 07:36:07 am »
The Tory politician who was on the Today programme just now.
Yes, it was the usual avoidance and slimy words you’d expect, but this knob had a slightly new approach. He was of course making his statements but when they deviated too far from the question the interviewer interjected to steer him back. He mearly paused momentarily then carried on exactly whatever bullshit he was spouting.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #3055 on: 13 March, 2018, 08:13:03 am »
That's a common illness known as Politician's Gob.  Unfortunately they almost all do it but somehow the nauseating gobshite that spews from the mouth of a tory seems more insincere, more offensive and less caring than that of almost any other tribe of controlling narcissists. 

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3056 on: 13 March, 2018, 08:24:13 am »
Perhaps it was because he was less subtle about it than most normally are. He just came over as a completely arrogant tosser. Which I suppose he is if he is a member of the club you have to be in to get selected as a tory candidate.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3057 on: 13 March, 2018, 09:09:06 am »
Can there being anything more pleasurable than a good well-deserved swear? People who bundle that stuff inside turn weird.

I listened to a very timely podcast last night - the latest episode of Helen Zaltzman's Allusionist, which just happens to be all about swearing. The special guest was Emma Byrne, who has written a book called Swearing Is Good For You, which claims to offer scientific proof of this assertion.

On the podcast, one of the things they discussed was Washoe the chimpanzee, who was taught ASL as an experiment to prove that chimps have the concept of language. I've heard of Washoe before but didn't realise that part of her lessons included swearing, and apparently she was very good at it. This fills me with great joy.

They also discussed one of my old favourites - the preposterous notion that swearing is a sign of limited vocabulary. In fact, it's precisely the opposite - people who swear lots are generally more linguistically adept than non-swearers. I have always known this to be true, and indeed have got into many arguments by defending the idea, so it's good to have it confirmed by SCIENCE.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #3058 on: 13 March, 2018, 09:52:03 am »
Whoo, that's good, must listen.

The profanity dodgers all sound like they're ready to pop. You know, if they eased back at a moment of exasperation and realeased a withering 'oh for fuck's sake' on the exhale, they'd feel a lot better. You don't get that through a 'oh for eff-star-cee-kay's sake.' You feel ten times better for it and that urge to take your guns to work retreats. Similarly, sometimes someone is such a cunt that there's really only thing to call them but a cunt. Nigel Farage, for instance. He's not a c*nt. He's not a cu*t. He's a cunt. It's a splendidly rude and vicious word that keeps a little of its power to shock, but it's called for. He's not an unpleasant little man. He's not merely a tosser. He's the full on, gloriously uncensored article. He's earned it so give it up. Not noodling around with one of the stupid characters that make you forget your password (a practice that of itself deserves a hearty fuck).

« Reply #3059 on: 13 March, 2018, 10:38:39 am »
Apropos of nothing in particular, in a different life part of my duties included the operation and maintenance of exhibits for one of the museums in South Ken.
Amongst other things, I had to occasionally re-programme the message on a scrolling display - a bit like the ones you have on trains telling you where the train will be stopping - Imagine my disappopintment on finding that the software had a profanity filter - so no, if your train was due to stop at Scunthorpe - you'd not find out about it via the scrolling display.

citoyen

« Reply #3060 on: 13 March, 2018, 10:43:13 am »
if they eased back at a moment of exasperation and realeased a withering 'oh for fuck's sake' on the exhale, they'd feel a lot better.

That's pretty much exactly what Emma Byrne says and she's a SCIENCE-ist so she ought to know.

You don't get that through a 'oh for eff-star-you-kay's sake.' You feel ten times better for it and that urge to take your guns to work retreats. Similarly, sometimes someone is such a cunt that there's really only thing to call them but a cunt.

I've always thought "see you next tuesday" is far too many syllables to bother with - by the time you get to the end of that mouthful, you've lost all impetus. It's also ridiculously twee, which entirely defeats the object of calling someone a cunt.

« Reply #3061 on: 13 March, 2018, 11:09:39 am »
Apropos of nothing in particular, in a different life part of my duties included the operation and maintenance of exhibits for one of the museums in South Ken.
Amongst other things, I had to occasionally re-programme the message on a scrolling display - a bit like the ones you have on trains telling you where the train will be stopping - Imagine my disappopintment on finding that the software had a profanity filter - so no, if your train was due to stop at Scunthorpe - you'd not find out about it via the scrolling display.

About fifty years ago the BBC went for a new look for on screen graphics. The name of the day was included, animated to spice it up a bit. The middle two letters appeared in the centre of the screen, followed by the next two; THUS, ND... ONDA... MONDAY. It went well... Until Saturday.

« Reply #3062 on: 13 March, 2018, 12:29:54 pm »

About fifty years ago the BBC went for a new look for on screen graphics. The name of the day was included, animated to spice it up a bit. The middle two letters appeared in the centre of the screen, followed by the next two; THUS, ND... ONDA... MONDAY. It went well... Until Saturday.

So somebody had an "oh, shit" moment, then?  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3063 on: 13 March, 2018, 01:43:49 pm »
^^^^ second <splort> of the day, that. :D
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3064 on: 13 March, 2018, 07:49:47 pm »
Have we had Noel 'Negative energy causes cancer, think positive and you won't get it' Edmunds?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3065 on: 13 March, 2018, 08:13:34 pm »
I don't think so but thought he spoke well today about a suicidal phase a few years ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-43385847/noel-edmonds-humbled-by-suicide-attempt-response

That didn't seem at all twattish to me.

« Reply #3066 on: 14 March, 2018, 11:00:08 am »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3067 on: 14 March, 2018, 11:00:50 am »
Yeah.  I heard that and winced.
Getting there...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3068 on: 14 March, 2018, 11:05:18 am »
Given that all his published papers will have been reviewed anonymously it's be difficult to say the least.
It just shows a complete lack of understanding of the academic process by JH.

« Reply #3069 on: 14 March, 2018, 11:13:12 am »
John Humphries  >:(

https://twitter.com/unfortunatalie/status/973835915952091138?s=21
Best response was by a William Huw
Is John Humphreys "cut a bit of slack" by his colleagues because he is so desperately stupid?

Time for JH to be sacked I think. Does anyone like listening to the antiquated, misogynistic, old fool?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3070 on: 14 March, 2018, 01:01:28 pm »
John Humphries  >:(

https://twitter.com/unfortunatalie/status/973835915952091138?s=21
Best response was by a William Huw
Is John Humphreys "cut a bit of slack" by his colleagues because he is so desperately stupid?

Time for JH to be sacked I think. Does anyone like listening to the antiquated, misogynistic, overpaid old fool?

citoyen

« Reply #3071 on: 14 March, 2018, 02:28:48 pm »
One of the worst things I have heard on the Toady prog recently was John Humphries interviewing John Cleese. They just sounded like two out-of-touch old duffers chatting in the pub. Awful.

I missed the Hawking piece but he came across as pretty incompetent when talking to the guy from Russia Today this morning as well.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3072 on: 22 March, 2018, 10:53:00 am »
B. Johnson Esq. Double super twat with added twatish bits.

Putin is undoubtedly a very dodgy character and up to all sorts of unsavoury activities. But Hitler he is not.

citoyen

« Reply #3073 on: 22 March, 2018, 01:34:11 pm »
B. Johnson Esq. Double super twat with added twatish bits.

Just when you thought he couldn't sink any lower, he goes and pulls that out of the bag. Quite astonishing, really.

And this man is supposed to be our representative on the international stage? He makes Prince Philip seem like a model of tact and diplomacy.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3074 on: 25 March, 2018, 11:59:38 am »
"Killer Mike" (I shit you not): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-43531528
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.