Author Topic: Re-threading aluminium drop-out  (Read 942 times)

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
Re-threading aluminium drop-out
« on: 29 June, 2018, 04:43:22 pm »
Does anyone have experience of rethreading an aluminium drop out attached to a carbon frame? The bike is a Trek and is my favourite, but the thread has been stripped so that the rear derailleur can be tightened but then works loose (and if tightened beyond 'moderately tight' then releases, so you have to get the tension exactly right). Looking inside the thread I can see it is very worn.

I have had conflicting advice about whether aluminium can be re-cut or not.

Many thanks for any advice. My wife will not accept 'new bike' as an answer sadly (and I love this bike too much anyway!).
Mojo is being awakened.

Re: Re-threading aluminium drop-out
« Reply #1 on: 29 June, 2018, 05:04:10 pm »
Drop out saver - https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/dropout-saver-threaded-insert-fits-into-rear-mech-hanger/   I've no experience of them but they are lodged firmly in my memory "just in case".

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2018, 06:35:39 pm »
is a new hanger hard to source? otherwise a strong threadlocker could be enough to prevent it from working loose.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 29 June, 2018, 07:03:53 pm »
Dropout savers work very well. I did about a dozen bikes with them when I was a bike mechanic.

If the hanger is replaceable (as with most frames), why not do that?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #4 on: 29 June, 2018, 07:15:13 pm »
Dropout savers work very well. I did about a dozen bikes with them when I was a bike mechanic.

If the hanger is replaceable (as with most frames), why not do that?

The hanger isn't replaceable, it is integral to the frame sadly. Thank you for the advice about framesavers.
Mojo is being awakened.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 29 June, 2018, 07:17:59 pm »
One of the early bonded Treks? They ride nice. You may need to thin down the dropout saver a shade, as I recall Trek's early dropouts as closer to steel dropout thickness than is the current fashion.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #6 on: 29 June, 2018, 10:27:27 pm »
another option is to use an M10 x 1.0mm helicoil repair. You can buy kits for less than ten quid on e-bay

cheers