Author Topic: I’m getting excited.  (Read 2470 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
I’m getting excited.
« on: 20 September, 2018, 02:46:30 pm »
I think I might need some help really. But my new phone is arriving tomorrow and I’m getting a bit giddy at the thought.  ;D :smug:

Is anyone else going to own up to being stupid enough to be taking delivery of some new fruity goodness tomorrow?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Re: I’m getting excited.
« Reply #1 on: 20 September, 2018, 02:50:18 pm »
New fruity goodness arrived yesterday.

(A second hand 32GB iPhone SE for under £100 thanks to a YACFer. Can't ever imagine paying full whack for the latest and greatest.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2 on: 20 September, 2018, 03:52:23 pm »
my heart falls when I receive a new fruit-based implement as I realise how little I know and how much I need to set up.

Dumb phone - insert SIM, insert battery = GO  ;D
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #3 on: 20 September, 2018, 05:10:39 pm »
I have not worn a watch for a number of years, 10+, but tempted by a wrist based fruit goodness now

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #4 on: 20 September, 2018, 05:35:36 pm »

(A second hand 32GB iPhone SE for under £100 thanks to a YACFer. Can't ever imagine paying full whack for the latest and greatest.)

Ms Manotea the younger told me how much her phone cost... I had to sit down...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 20 September, 2018, 05:38:20 pm »
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 20 September, 2018, 08:03:27 pm »
My Daddy has a fruity phone. I don't know which model but his learning curve is not very steep.

Chris N

« Reply #7 on: 21 September, 2018, 07:56:47 am »

And I got rid of my bloody iPhone.  It's good to be back on Android. :thumbsup:

ian

« Reply #8 on: 21 September, 2018, 09:46:52 am »
Checks, iPhone 6. Still seems to be bumbling on, so probably not yet. I used to buy phones in Foreignlandia back when GBP was worth something. I can't get excited by phones, though – my current iPhone does everything I need it to do. I was a little bit excited the last time I bought an actual computer because it was huge and shiny. I've kind of reached peak technology, all the things I need to a phone or computer to do, they can do it, and tbh, a model bought five years ago can manage it fine. I just want my tech to work quickly and reliably. But in general I don't get excited about stuff because it's just stuff. There's a new version of MacOS out next week. I might download it immediately just so I can whine on social media about it not working and how horrible Apple are for ruining my life. Let's face it, when your computer is your livelihood, you should definitely download version 1.0 of an OS on its release day.

There's not that much set-up for an iPhone to be honest, insert SIM, turn on, follow the instructions on the five or six screens that follow (gawd, I tried to set up a Samsung once, that was something else). Unless it's the mothership phone, of course, because connecting to the mothership requires following cryptic instructions that they have secreted in several different, difficult to find, locations on intranet. I've still no idea if it's set up correctly but I don't care as it seems to work.

« Reply #9 on: 21 September, 2018, 10:00:04 am »
New shiny is always nice, but I've topped out with an iPhone 7+, bought used. Like Ian's, it does all that I need (and probably a lot I don't). I do like tech though, and my last purchase was some Jabra Elite Active bluetooth earbuds. Unlike me, they're small and perfectly (well FCVO perfect) formed. And they work very well. And come in a very tactile little case.  :)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10 on: 21 September, 2018, 10:47:21 am »
I have little to excite me now that I’ve left work (ha!). One of the problems of being a technologist means that tech always excites me, but when at work the stuff I could get retail was often old hat as our researchers had moved on and we hangers on just HAD to keep pace with their work 🤓

Still. I’ve been good for,the last few releases of iPhone as I’m still using an iPhone 6 (until sometime between 11;25 and 12:25) and the money was a windfall from a PPI claim from a policy in 1997 so even when Dr Beardy (Mrs) has a go at me at 12:26 over its purchase I’ll be able to point out that we had agreed this purchase last week!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #11 on: 21 September, 2018, 11:41:56 am »
I do sort of want an Apple Watch but I can't, tbh, think of a reason why. I like the idea of changing the face but I have to admit that such a feature would likely keep me entertained for about two minutes.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #12 on: 21 September, 2018, 11:49:00 am »
Dr Beardy bought my a nice watch two or three years ago that is the complete antithesis of an Apple Watch. It has a single hand, is clockwork and I have to remember to wind it up every day. I do like it though.

I did voice an opinion that I might by a Garmin Fenix with my 40 year bonus,but she got a bit defensive about the watch she’d bought me, so I shelved that idea. My rational was that if I was going to get a hi tech watch it had to also be a rugged item as it already got a watch for ‘nice’.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13 on: 21 September, 2018, 11:51:48 am »
I do sort of want an Apple Watch but I can't, tbh, think of a reason why. I like the idea of changing the face but I have to admit that such a feature would likely keep me entertained for about two minutes.

Bugger that! I enjoy the "oh dear I left my phone at home" episodes, can't do that with a fruit-based wrist piece.  I'm entirely happy with my Russian diver's watch, mechanical, robust, waterproor, tells the time and cost $50, so who gives a f@&k if i scratch it when I visit a refinery.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14 on: 21 September, 2018, 02:26:17 pm »
Bastard bloody bastard fukking twatfaced bastards of a deliver company have said that the delivery was refused because, well, because they’re bastards. That’s why. I pre ordered for delivery today, and for,the bastards to blame me for,the none delivery is not on.

ian

« Reply #15 on: 21 September, 2018, 02:47:59 pm »

Bugger that! I enjoy the "oh dear I left my phone at home" episodes, can't do that with a fruit-based wrist piece.  I'm entirely happy with my Russian diver's watch, mechanical, robust, waterproor, tells the time and cost $50, so who gives a f@&k if i scratch it when I visit a refinery.

My watch cost £7.99 from Decathlon. They had a cheaper one, but I'm a classy guy.

Actually, I have Timex which may have cost about £20. It lights up when I press the button. Amazeballs.

I do like the Apple Watch though and there's nothing to stop me buying one other than I can't actually think of a use. A modern dilemma, I'm sure. Does it have a laser that can cut through the handcuffs if I'm captured by diabolical henchmen? That might seal it.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #16 on: 21 September, 2018, 02:57:09 pm »
I gave up on my Apple Watch at the start of the year; it was lovely and shiny but in the end the inability of the battery to last all day was too much of a frustration so I got a Fitbit. The thing that I miss most is ApplePay; the Fitbit lacks a lot of the features of the Apple Watch but ultimately I don't miss them.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #17 on: 21 September, 2018, 07:11:05 pm »
My battery lasts two and half days. I like the subtle reminders that there's an appointment coming up, or an incoming text or call. ApplePay is the bees knees. Pub Cafe Shop Tube ApplePay every time. Taking calls on it is cool. Beam me up, Scotty!

I got my effectively brand new watch secondhand for half price.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.