Author Topic: Side loading water bottle cages  (Read 1724 times)

Side loading water bottle cages
« on: 26 September, 2018, 05:39:57 pm »
Which are the best side loading cages, I want to fit 750ml bottles in my XS Croix de Fer frame, and be able to take them out whilst moving, not just when stopped. Must be able to hold bottles in on lumpy tracks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Side loading water bottle cages
« Reply #1 on: 26 September, 2018, 07:22:47 pm »
Barakta's got one (I can't remember what brand) on her ICE trike, to make it easier for her to reach.  We've had a couple of unplanned bottle ejections though, so it might not count as lumpy track proof.

There's a twist-entry version of the Monkii Cage that might work: https://www.cyclemiles.co.uk/shop/cycle-products/monkii-v-cage-bicycle-bottle-cage

(I use the normal slide-downwards version to hold a standard 750ml bidon vertically on my Brompton stem, and can vouch for it holding securely.)

« Reply #2 on: 26 September, 2018, 07:30:38 pm »
Barakta's got one (I can't remember what brand) on her ICE trike, to make it easier for her to reach.  We've had a couple of unplanned bottle ejections though, so it might not count as lumpy track proof.

There's a twist-entry version of the Monkii Cage that might work: https://www.cyclemiles.co.uk/shop/cycle-products/monkii-v-cage-bicycle-bottle-cage

(I use the normal slide-downwards version to hold a standard 750ml bidon vertically on my Brompton stem, and can vouch for it holding securely.)

Me too:

[click to expand]

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #3 on: 27 September, 2018, 10:12:34 am »
I've got an Elite one to hold a tool bottle high against the top tube, but found that it needed a loop of shock cord to stop unplanned ejections ...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4 on: 27 September, 2018, 10:39:06 am »
I have two types on my bike, one is a Profile Designs side entry cage (reversible) and the other is a Specialized one. 

The Specialized one is not a full side entry as it requires a bit of insertion then push in so I use this to carry my spare bottle.   
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Zee-II-Bottle-Cage_66399.htm

The Profile Design one I had reservations about initially in that I thought it would break but it has proved bullet proof and I have never had a bottle fall out and it's been on some very bouncy COR (to the point I couldn't actually see properly due to the bouncing around.!)
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Profile-Design-Axis-Side-Bottle-Cage_94817.htm

Regards,

Joergen

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 27 September, 2018, 01:41:41 pm »
I have a couple of Zefals on my bike. They're fine with 600cc bottles but litres tend to lean over sideways. Never had a premature ejection, but a sports-drink-sticky bottle bumping against your leg when you pedal isn't the most pleasant sensation in the world.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 27 September, 2018, 01:53:47 pm »

I've got both and I would not recommend the V cage as an alternative where a small frame restricts access. In fact you need slightly more space for the V version because you need to twist it and slide it. Finally, you can't really access a Monkii Cage (or a bottle in it) while riding. The plain Monkii Cage is great for carrying things of not-quite-water-bottle size, including larger bottles of water or fizzy pop but not as a bidon cage.

However, if anyone did want a Monkii Cage V, I do have one I'm no longer using.  ;)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 27 September, 2018, 02:05:32 pm »
I've got both and I would not recommend the V cage as an alternative where a small frame restricts access. In fact you need slightly more space for the V version because you need to twist it and slide it. Finally, you can't really access a Monkii Cage (or a bottle in it) while riding. The plain Monkii Cage is great for carrying things of not-quite-water-bottle size, including larger bottles of water or fizzy pop but not as a bidon cage.

Fair point:  I can get at the one on my Brompton okay (main issue is bashing the GPS with the bottle as it detaches), but it's in a much more accessible position than the middle of a diamond frame.  I suspect that if you're reaching down from above there's more risk of pulling the bottle out of the cage rather than releasing the attachment, at which point you'd have to stop one-handed to sort it all out.

Agreed that it works well for things like coffee flasks and fuel bottles.

« Reply #8 on: 27 September, 2018, 02:31:30 pm »
Thankyou for the reports , especially jiberjaber , thats exactly the type of bottle I,m going to use.

« Reply #9 on: 27 September, 2018, 06:01:40 pm »
I was researching this very thing last week and ended up trying a Specialized Zee 2. I fitted it to my Airnimal today (behind saddle, under a saddlebag - hence the side-entry requirement) and went for a test ride. I use Camelback podium bottles (710mm) and it works like a dream.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: 28 September, 2018, 12:23:17 am »

I have the Alpkit ones, They work OK, they aren't quite pavé proof, and I did have a couple of bottles suicide out of them on the Pavé, but once I realised this and added a bungee loop to back them up, I've not had a problem.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/