Author Topic: Switching from double to triple issues  (Read 966 times)

Switching from double to triple issues
« on: 27 September, 2018, 10:30:17 am »
I've fitted a triple to my surly crosscheck and can't get enough travel on the front mech to get all 3 chainrings - I can either adjust it to get small & middle or middle & big but not all 3. 

It's got bar end shifters, are some of them double-only?  (I can't see a model number on it anywhere) so do I need to find a triple shifter, or am I just not very good at adjusting it?

Samuel D

Re: Switching from double to triple issues
« Reply #1 on: 27 September, 2018, 10:32:50 am »
What front derailleur? New ones including nominally 11-speed models require a lot of cable pull.

Make sure the cable is not too slack when the derailleur is against its lower limit screw.

« Reply #2 on: 27 September, 2018, 03:27:04 pm »
thanks Samuel, the cable tension seems fine, but I can't see a model number on the front mech and and don't want to take it off.. It's 9 speed.

« Reply #3 on: 27 September, 2018, 03:34:30 pm »
Front derailleurs for doubles and triples are somewhat different beasts. If you’re just using the old one it would explain why you’re having problems.

« Reply #4 on: 27 September, 2018, 04:37:40 pm »
Aah, so its more likely to be the mech than the shifter?  that's easier to change..

« Reply #5 on: 27 September, 2018, 08:34:53 pm »
9s 'road triple FDs' have about the same shift ratio as double FDs that are 9s too (hence some models of 9s LH STI can work either doubles or triples) . MTB FDs have a way different shift ratio and need more cable pull.

However IIRC I have seen MTB FDs controlled using bar end shifters so I am struggling to see why you are having trouble By any chance is the LH shifter misassembled so that the lever doesn't move full stroke? 

NB it is very common for bar end shifters to break and the blame is put on 'those rubbish shifters'. In fact the bezel looks like it can be put on in one of four ways but in fact only one will do; there is a lug that engages on one of the four flats on the bezel, and if this is in the wrong place the lever stroke is restricted and it doesn't take long for the bezel (at least) to break.

cheers

« Reply #6 on: 27 September, 2018, 10:38:31 pm »
Also remember that wear in the FD is more apparent with a triple