Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 254335 times)

Re: The cricket...
« Reply #50 on: 01 August, 2011, 01:48:26 pm »
Jimmy Anderson just bowled Laxman. 13-2.

« Reply #51 on: 01 August, 2011, 02:29:04 pm »
Sorry, forgot the first one...

Mukund b Bresnan c Strauss 3

31-3

Raina b Bresnan c sub 1

37-4

Current odds at William Hill: India 40/1 for the win, 10/1 for the draw/NR.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #52 on: 01 August, 2011, 02:35:55 pm »

And a first ball drop too.
I think they've dropped TWO catches now. No doubt the Indians are filled with confidence.   ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #53 on: 01 August, 2011, 02:42:38 pm »
I won't be counting any chickens until either (ideally both) of Tendulkar and Yuvraj Singh are gone.

« Reply #54 on: 01 August, 2011, 03:01:37 pm »
Review for Yuvraj!

Not out.

« Reply #55 on: 01 August, 2011, 03:21:28 pm »
Now Yuvraj is out. Caught at some sort of short gully off Bresnan.

Over by tonight?

« Reply #56 on: 01 August, 2011, 03:23:12 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Dhoni out first ball. Bresnan's on a hat trick!

« Reply #57 on: 01 August, 2011, 03:29:39 pm »
Bresnan's hatrick ball will be to Harbhajan Singh...

Driven for 4...

« Reply #58 on: 01 August, 2011, 04:26:29 pm »
Tendulkar lbw Anderson 56

107-7

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #59 on: 01 August, 2011, 04:31:10 pm »

107-7
I bet Dhoni's kicking himself for letting Ian Bell off the hook, eh?
Also think I'm having a flashback back to the first Test - leave the office for 10 minutes to make myself a cuppa, then get back to my desk to find that 3-4 wickets have fallen in the interim.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #60 on: 01 August, 2011, 04:34:33 pm »

107-7
I bet Dhoni's kicking himself for letting Ian Bell off the hook, eh?

I reckon the issue is whether they would have got back to their hotel alive.

Didn't Bell only manage another 22-ish? Not really match-changing, was it?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #61 on: 01 August, 2011, 04:42:11 pm »
I reckon the issue is whether they would have got back to their hotel alive.

Didn't Bell only manage another 22-ish? Not really match-changing, was it?
In terms of runs scored, no I don't think it made that much of a difference particularly when you take the Bresnan/Broad partnership into account but, as Mr. Tesco says, "Every Little Helps". I'd like to think that it might serve to silence some of Bell's critics, but my hopes aren't high.

Just a bit pissed off that I can't listen to TMS 'cos the sound on my Mac is knackered :(

« Reply #62 on: 01 August, 2011, 04:56:02 pm »
Happened 15 mins ago or so but...

Harbhajan b Bresnan c sub 46

129-8

That's 5-36 for Bresnan's on Yorkshire day.

Score now 142-8.

« Reply #63 on: 01 August, 2011, 05:11:37 pm »
Kumar b Anderson 25

153-9

« Reply #64 on: 01 August, 2011, 05:25:35 pm »
All out. England win by 319 runs.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #65 on: 01 August, 2011, 06:17:01 pm »
Bloody typical - it all happened whilst I was waiting for the bus home  ::-)

Stuart Broad was man of the match. Good choice, IMO, if only for the hat-trick.

« Reply #66 on: 01 August, 2011, 07:18:31 pm »
Just watching the highlights. Our lower order is ridiculously good. Bresnan at 8, Broad at 9 and Swann at 10. I'm sure there have been England teams with weaker batsmen at 5, 6 and 7.

If Trott is injured for the next test, there must be a case for playing Bell at 3, replacing Trott with Tremlett, and playing 5 bowlers. I don't think any of the bowlers are good enough batsmen to be considered all-rounders in their own right, but cumulatively I'd say they make up for one batsman.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #67 on: 01 August, 2011, 08:55:50 pm »
Was that over in four days?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #68 on: 02 August, 2011, 12:33:18 am »

If Trott is injured for the next test, there must be a case for playing Bell at 3, replacing Trott with Tremlett, and playing 5 bowlers. I don't think any of the bowlers are good enough batsmen to be considered all-rounders in their own right, but cumulatively I'd say they make up for one batsman.

Interesting analysis, Dean.  Tim Bresnan is the only one of the bowlers whose batting average is higher than his bowling average (often considered the measure of an all-rounder).  Stuart Broad has an appalling bowling average of around 35, though he takes wickets.  Then again, he has a big century to his name, 150-odd, if I remember.  I think his stats. are about to improve rapidly, though probably more in the batting department.  Swann has a better bowlng average than batting, but his batting average is still pretty reasonable for number 10.  I'd still be inclined to replace Trott with a batsman, because our current bowlers nearly always deliver and we have cover for injury, whereas, with the possible exception of Prior and until recently Trott and Cook, no batsman is making good scores consistently.  We are still too reliant on one person making 200, instead of 4 people consistently making 50s.    But it is a very spirited team and that's great to see; it was what made Australia great (that, and constant sunshine!).

« Reply #69 on: 02 August, 2011, 10:56:43 am »
Ian Bell's got a pretty good current record - he's averaging 113 (or thereabouts) for 2011...

I reckon it's one of the great strengths of the current team that they're not relying on a couple of star players - everyone contributes at some point.

Still, they've had success with four bowlers, so they may not want to change that. Assuming Trott is out, that'd mean giving someone (e.g Bopara) who's had chances and failed, or putting a new player in, such as James Taylor.  Personally, I'd still put Tremlett in, as he's got the experience and the track record, and it'd be a bit of a pisser to drop Bresnan for Tremlett after the lad just took 5 wickets.

« Reply #70 on: 02 August, 2011, 11:01:17 am »
Is there much likelihood of them dropping Bresnan?  Tremlett has always delivered as a bowler (as has the poor Finn) but I'm guessing James Taylor will have better songs....

« Reply #71 on: 02 August, 2011, 11:09:04 am »
If they only pick four bowlers, then (assuming Broad, Swann and Anderson are untouchable) it's one of Bresnan and Tremlett - and they've usually gone for Tremlett in the past.  Bresnan's only played eight tests - but he has won all of 'em.  It'd be hard to drop Bresnan after this test, but leaving out Tremlett wouldn't be easy either.

They might even chuck Monty in. Now there's a number 11.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #72 on: 02 August, 2011, 01:30:09 pm »
... and it'd be a bit of a pisser to drop Bresnan for Tremlett after the lad just took 5 wickets.
I think it's a sign of good management and a good team ethos if you can drop someone DESPITE them playing a blinder.
For one thing, a lot of it is luck. Then there's consistency - noone should be safe after 1 good game if they haven't been consistent in the past.
Then there's the magic variables of cricket - the pitch, expected conditions, the opposition etc etc ... that mean there is no perfect 11.
"Well done. Have a rest mate, you'll be playing again soon enough."

Squad rotation is healthy, as it keeps everyone's hand in. Best not to go TOO mad with it, mind!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #73 on: 02 August, 2011, 02:02:40 pm »

Squad rotation is healthy, as it keeps everyone's hand in. Best not to go TOO mad with it, mind!

aka The Benitez Syndrome!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #74 on: 02 August, 2011, 02:08:33 pm »
... and it'd be a bit of a pisser to drop Bresnan for Tremlett after the lad just took 5 wickets.
I think it's a sign of good management and a good team ethos if you can drop someone DESPITE them playing a blinder.
For one thing, a lot of it is luck. Then there's consistency - noone should be safe after 1 good game if they haven't been consistent in the past or their name is Kevin Pietersen
FTFY.