Author Topic: What are you having for supper tonight?  (Read 318067 times)

Re: What are you having for supper tonight?
« Reply #3050 on: 19 January, 2018, 05:19:45 pm »
Something at the pub. Probably Lamb chops and chips. Final blowout before I cut out the drinking and cut back on he food to lose the weight I have put on since stopping smoking in October.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3051 on: 19 January, 2018, 06:02:48 pm »
The lamb joint I kept in the freezer just in case there was a problem with Sainsbury's deliveries at Christmas.

« Reply #3052 on: 26 January, 2018, 06:57:55 pm »
Pork belly, mustard mash, wilted greens, roast carrots, pint of cider.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3053 on: 30 January, 2018, 01:58:13 pm »
Last night was the Annual Meal of the West of London Astronomical Society at a Beefeater. (The Orchard, Ruislip)
Mediocrity personified, quelle surprise!
Starter Sharing Platter: Lots of tasty things for not too much cash - kofta, chicken wings, flat bread, potato skins, breaded mushrooms, 3 sauces.
David had to ask the waitress for a plate. she brought a tiny, saucer-sized thing, just for him...

Main course: Minted lamb rump for him - seemed OK
Salmon for me - fair. New potatoes were partly mashed with some herbs but were DULL.

Vegetable Medley: Having ordered our food in advance, this never came until we asked for it separately and most folk had almost finished their main course. The broccoli was still FROZEN.

Desserts: I wanted a 'Mini-Pud and Costa Coffee'.  My preferred Passion Fruit Cheesecake was unavailable, as was the Chocolate Torte, leaving me with Bakewell Pie - OK but not my favourite.

Because this was a group booking, they did not accept my valid Beefeater discount code.

Meh!

« Reply #3054 on: 02 February, 2018, 08:29:13 pm »
Last night I was good and did a lamb chop tray bake with a Greek salad - lovely.
Tonight Mrs Pcolbeck has gone out with some friends and so I'm home alone. Couldn't be bothered and so it's take away pizza and a bottle of Chianti.

You really have to be in a can't be arsed mood when a takeaway involves a 10 mile round trip...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3055 on: 03 February, 2018, 02:04:09 am »
An ENORMOUS piece of chocolate fudge CAEK.

Partner had concert at Tea House Theatre in Vauxhall. We'd had only a light lunch before we left our house...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3056 on: 03 February, 2018, 07:51:29 am »
Last night was a trip to the local Italian (recently opened in the building formerly occupied by an Italian restaurant that I visited once and swore I would never revisit).

Loaded potato wedges followed by a hotshot Calzone. Far too much food, so we ended up getting a load "to go"

Oh and birthday cake (it is TLD's 14th birthday today, hence the visit)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3057 on: 06 February, 2018, 12:15:45 am »
tagliatele with home made putanesca sauce.  I'm going to be stinking the office out with garlic tomorrow.  ;)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #3058 on: 17 February, 2018, 05:15:39 pm »
I got some marked down organic chicken thighs yesterday. They are now simmering in the pot with sliced chorizo, garlic, chillies, shallots, butterbeans & a tin of tomatoes.   Should last a couple of days  :P

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3059 on: 22 February, 2018, 08:52:32 pm »
I made a thing, started with cooking some finely sliced onions and finely sliced smoked garlic, both from france, cooked in coconut oil.  Then throw lots of spices (Gram Marsalam, paprika, curry leaves, turmeric, pepper, et al) then quinoa instead of lentils.

Was lovely.

« Reply #3060 on: 24 February, 2018, 09:01:32 pm »
Tagliatelle with garlic, chillies, olive oil & strips of smoked salmon...     

« Reply #3061 on: 25 February, 2018, 04:42:11 pm »
Chicken pie I think.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3062 on: 25 February, 2018, 04:43:47 pm »
Pork cheek ragu. Nomnomnom.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3063 on: 25 February, 2018, 05:51:40 pm »
Home made chicken pie and steamed carrots, followed by home made apple pie and cream

simonp

« Reply #3064 on: 25 February, 2018, 09:58:55 pm »
Sirloin steaks, with roast veg (sweet potato, butternut squash, carrots, courgettes, pak choi).

Roast pak choi was a new thing I tried. Very nice, will do that again.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3065 on: 26 February, 2018, 10:08:01 am »
Roast pork for dinner yesterday, mainly notable for the fact that the crackling turned out perfect. Last couple of times I've cooked roast pork, I've not had much success with the crackling - don't know if that's a problem with the joint, my cooker, or my technique, but it's gratifying to know I haven't lost my touch completely.

Also cooked some rather splendid red cabbage with apple and juniper to accompany it. Roast potatoes, obviously. And truly excellent gravy, if I say so myself.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3066 on: 27 February, 2018, 11:14:21 am »
Gammon and pineapple in the oven on the timer for tonight.  Goose-fat-roast new potatoes (probably from Patagonia or somewhere - seasonality, what seasonality?) with stacks of rosemary and salt, boiled carrots and peas.  Feeling hungry already...

« Reply #3067 on: 02 March, 2018, 09:12:49 am »
Finally got a date, so it's sushi for me tonight. Not a fan of Asian food, but it's the people who make the meal.

« Reply #3068 on: 02 March, 2018, 03:48:57 pm »
Home made curries tonight, with brown rice, chana daal and some grilled papads.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3069 on: 10 March, 2018, 08:19:26 pm »
Home made (by me) steak and kidney pudding. Mum used to make this. Mothering Sunday last year was the last time she was really "with it", seizures in the evening and downhill from there until she slipped away in May. Cheers Mum.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3070 on: 10 March, 2018, 08:32:35 pm »
That's nice.  Enjoy.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3071 on: 23 March, 2018, 07:22:18 pm »
Rib-eye steak (from a farm 2 miles away) , purple sprouting, Jersey Royals and mushrooms. Mmmm

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3072 on: 26 March, 2018, 08:03:36 pm »
Cauliflower "steaks" with cauli puree, a faffy dressing, some greens and a couple of veggie sausages.

No way those cauli steaks can be a main course for a cyclist
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #3073 on: 14 April, 2018, 08:31:59 pm »
Rib eye steak from the local farm / farmshop. Delicious.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
What are you having for supper tonight?
« Reply #3074 on: 15 April, 2018, 09:01:42 am »
Steak & chips with blue cheese sauce as a farewell meal for my son before he heads back to uni.

This has become something of a family tradition. He had the same meal at a restaurant in St Martin de Ré when he was 8 and it has been his favourite ever since. My version of the sauce is an approximation of what they served based on some guesswork - recipes I’ve found for blue cheese sauce don’t appear to be for the same thing. The key, I think, is to make it in the same pan that you cook the steaks in, while they’re resting, steak Diane style. I usually add a bit of Dijon mustard too, for extra tanginess. And strain the sauce through a sieve to remove the blue bits.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."