Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 512568 times)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Oh, and a random thing.

I bought a slice of the best Bakewell in the world (Hobbs House) and was really looking forward to it to cheer me up.

The bastard thieving terminator cat got there first.  >:( >:(

How would you feel about a ride to the genuine article?

I'll put one on next Spring for you, if you fancy it.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

This is good:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42251481

Cheeky vegetarian barstewards!

They are going “change the descriptor”. Strange how it’s ok for sausage rolls, but nobody would dare try labelling a cake “12 slices of cake*”.

*after you slice it into 12 slices

Pimientos de Padron on clearance for 25p a punnet at Tesco today.  Going to be raising my blood pressure with an unhealthy dose of rock salt and olive oil later!  Just luscious. :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Hot cross buns in Advent. Is this wrong?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Happens every year AFAIK!

Hot Cross Buns, Creme Eggs and bikinis are on display before the Nine Lessons and Carols.

Hot cross buns are available all year round in many supermarkets.
I believe Creme Eggs are limited to the period from New Year to Easter as that apparently increased sales.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Cudzoziemiec

Bikinis? Are these a food item now?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike

Bloody hell. I haven't even had my first mince pie of the season yet.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Are food shops the only shops?

Are food shops the only shops?

But of course
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Presumably people jetting off in search of winter sun? Maybe they take hot cross buns to kid themselves it is actually spring?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
'Seasonal' sales are always manipulated with undue and premature haste IMO.

My mother put my bikini into a boilwash one August. Finding a replacement was impossible.

Christmas wares appear long before the Autumn Equinox, often as early as August; 'Back to School' items go on display before the summer holidays start and Easter Eggs appear in Advent.

'Twas ever thus!

Cudzoziemiec

DKUATB. We started those in November. (Actually, I think I prefer HXBs. And eccles cakes.)

citoyen

Christmas wares appear long before the Autumn Equinox, often as early as August

Back when I worked on a food magazine, the test kitchen would be working on Christmas recipes from late July onwards (because publishing deadlines). I always enjoyed sampling the results of their endeavours but it was a bit weird eating Christmas dinner in the middle of summer.

citoyen

DKUATB. We started those in November. (Actually, I think I prefer HXBs. And eccles cakes.)

To be honest, the main reason I haven't had any yet is that I find shop-bought mince pies so disappointing. I nearly bought some the other day but then reminded myself of this and put them back on the shelf. If I'm in town tomorrow, I'll pop into the first-rate local baker and get some good ones. Otherwise it's a case of waiting until my wife makes some (I would make some myself but hers are always better).

I don't think I've had a really good Eccles cake since my gran died.

Try making mince parcels with Filo instead of the usual mince pies, gorgeous especially with Vanilla ice cream.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
A lot of manual labour outside today, so at lunch time, I decided to buy a proper lunch in the cafe in an effort to keep up stamina and warmth.
Whoops.  I forgot about Welsh portion size.  :hand:
I struggled manfully, determined to eat at least 51% and did quite well.  Definitely more than half the plate gone before I surrendered.

The amount left looked just about the size of the portion I had in mind when I ordered.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Raw celery. Why?

Cudzoziemiec

Because it's delicious!

I don't think it actually is, y'know.

Last night I made a rather delicious concoction of raw apple, celery, yogurt, lemon juice and mint. Today, buoyed by the positive experience, I made the terrible mistake of having some raw celery sticks as a snack. Awful, truly awful. It turns out that apple, yogurt, lemon juice and mint are all delicious but raw celery is not.

Cudzoziemiec

I like celery root too!

Ah, see now, I do too. Raw, julienned, with a light dressing. Or mashed. :thumbsup:

I think it's that watery, insipid spray that coats your mouth as you bite into a celery stick that turns my stomach.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Raw celery. Why?

Because there are few things in life quite as satisfying as feeding celery to a guinea pig.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Partner has many and varied dreams.
Last night featured a white Toblerone he shared between multiple workmates, only leaving one piece for himself.
'I've got you a White Toblerone for Christmas; it's in the SEEKRIT cupboard'. I said.
'I didn't know they really existed.'

I was told many years ago, not sure of the veracity, that the effort in eating celery consumes more energy than you gain from it.