Author Topic: the food rant thread  (Read 229863 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: the food rant thread
« Reply #1325 on: 28 March, 2018, 03:26:18 pm »
Whatever the market will bear.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1326 on: 29 March, 2018, 07:17:22 pm »
Have you encountered food that is Kosher for Passover?

Does that differ from ordinary Kosher food? <Dredges depths of memory...> does it have ton br leaven-free as well?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1327 on: 30 March, 2018, 04:53:34 pm »
Have you encountered food that is Kosher for Passover?

Does that differ from ordinary Kosher food? <Dredges depths of memory...> does it have ton br leaven-free as well?

Leaven free, yeast-free, intact supervision to packaging trail.
A possible trace of non-kosher is acceptable year round but there is no minimum acceptable contamination level for leaven.
Passover rules are VERY strict for the orthodox.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1328 on: 30 March, 2018, 04:55:25 pm »
Old Passover joak  'That family is so strict, they'll only drink water that's been passed by the Rabbi...'

« Reply #1329 on: 30 March, 2018, 05:15:33 pm »
A possible trace of non-kosher is acceptable year round but there is no minimum acceptable contamination level for leaven.
Passover rules are VERY strict for the orthodox.

Interesting - I did not know that.

Old Passover joak  'That family is so strict, they'll only drink water that's been passed by the Rabbi...'

;D

« Reply #1330 on: 27 April, 2018, 06:37:37 pm »
'Baby' potatoes. What's wrong with 'new' or 'early' -- or is there some skullduggery whereby at sometimes of the year they are just small 'old' potatoes?
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1331 on: 28 April, 2018, 03:46:28 pm »
at sometimes this time of the year they are just small 'old' potatoes?

potatos are only just going into the ground due to the cold and wet.

« Reply #1332 on: 28 April, 2018, 04:28:02 pm »
To be fair, I checked the variety and they were described as 'second early' but that either means they've been imported from Egypt or similar, or they are last years.
Should go and check I suppose.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

ian

« Reply #1333 on: 04 January, 2019, 09:10:26 pm »
For a while now I’ve done a good job of avoiding meals like the skewered ennui on a deathbed of buckwheat kasha that might have inspired this thread. Disappointing for the sustenance of this topic most surely, less so for my belly. I’ve had some good stuff. Some fear too, like the time in Hanoi where my host brightly emitted the following words as I chewed a mouth of food: ‘you like cat?’ Turns out we both did. As pets, fortunately. But for a moment there those were the precise three words I didn’t want to hear with a mouthful of undeclared Vietnamese food.

Of course, this extraordinary run of culinary fulfilment had to come to an end, which it did before Christmas. The sort of end that you wish was cushioned with an airbag rather than a plate of soggy food. I confess to my snobbery*, but you know the Bismarckesque sinking feeling you get when you see a pub with the ‘two meals for £5.99’ sign outside and you’re walking inside. It can’t just be me. I’m sorry, but I’m unconvinced that you can prepare and cook two decent meals for that price. You can microwave a vague semblance of life into something that fell off the back of a catering supply wagon. Or possibly the bits left over from Frankenstein’s monster. The stuff that aspires to be turkey twizzlers yet  somehow still underachieves. Turkey twizzlers look down on it like disappointed parents. Shaking their little breaded heads.

But anyway, I was visiting my parents, and that was dinner and my sister was paying, and let’s say my family took the fine out of dining. Took it outside, to the back alley, and gave it a good going over. A steak cooked in their house is something you cry over. It’s frankly the only way to moisturise it enough to dare to attempt to eat it. My entire adolescence was spent chewing the same mouthful of steak. I have the sort of jaw musculature that would let me eat an airliner. The benefit being an airliner would have been more digestible. There's stuff in my lower intestine that dates back to the 1980s. Even Gwyneth Paltrow and a riot-control cannon couldn’t get it out.

Now, sense and sensibility would suggest going for a menu staple like the fish and chips or a pie. Things that don’t eagerly court kitchen calamity, like dating a recently released serial killer in a suishi restaurant. But alas, giddy on two pints of Punk IPA, I figured a more carefree attitude to the menu was required. Mexican chicken. Yes! Full of the flavours of Mexico. I’ve been to Mexico. I’ve eaten tacos in the back of an LAPD squad car. What can go wrong? I don’t even pause to think that ‘Mexican chicken’ may be some kind of euphemism for cat. Latterly I came to wish it was. Braised cat would have been an improvement of sorts.

Firstly, I should have realised that Mexico isn’t in the East Midlands. Secondly I don’t think anyone involved in the preparation was familiar with any concept of Mexico. Not even the famous Mexican state of Taco Bellesco. Now I wasn’t even reaching for authenticity here, I figured some spicy chicken on rice. Just grill some chicken, dump half a bottle of Frank’s sauce on it, job done. The was one meal to be cooked on gas mark expectations low.

But before we get to that. The starter. Chicken wings. Now I’ve eaten buffalo chicken wings in Buffalo. In all the places that have claimed to invent them (everywhere that has buffalo wings on the menu in Buffalo, trust me, and that’s everywhere in Buffalo). Sufficed to say, in the same way Neo knows kung fu, I know chicken wings. Now, I don’t wish to sound like an expert in both chicken wings and avian anatomy, but bird wings normally contain bones. I’m sure of this. These wings notably didn’t contain bones. I did bravely query this. Boneless wings, apparently. That didn’t look like wings. I mean, they could have at least tried to look like something other than disappointing penises that had been in a road accident. OK, boneless wings were probably worse for the chicken. It explains the entire inability to fly. Secondarily was that they didn’t taste like chicken wings. They tasted like something that had been fried the week before and forgotten. I really didn’t want to have to be one to remember them. I got my Frank’s sauce though. It would have been better if I’d drunk it neat from the bottle, like I do at home. I should have opted for the comforting anatomical inexactitude of chicken fingers.

The main course. Now, I’m already limboing under the bar of low expectation. But what I presented with defied rational explanation. This was the X-Files section of the menu. A burial mound of rice atop which sat precisely three pallid objects. The middle of the three had a curious expectoration splashed across it like the cook had developed a savage nosebleed while arranging the platter of despair. I figure that if you popped over to David Cronenberg’s house for dinner, he’d serve something like this. What were they? Albino kidneys? Distantly vivisected boneless rats? They were things to be tentatively poked, not eaten. But everyone else is eating. I cut a small sample for forensic analysis. It’s chicken Jim, but not was we know it. I know a fair bit about cooking chicken, but I’ve never served it embalmed. I guess they’d just dumped three pre-cooked chicken breasts on my plate. It was like a gangland body drop. I think they’re supposed to at least introduce them to a pan or a grill. The kitchen had swiped left on these. If the rice hillock was about as warm as the last ice age. They’d chopped some onion and pepper and added it raw for colour. Possible none of it had been cooked. I was looking at entropy. Sous vide for the infinitely patient. And the sauce. It was mere dribble of what I assume was chilli con carne salvaged from someone else’s meal. Hard to say as the carne had long gone. I’d have said it wasn’t possible to make a dish of embalmed chicken worse, but they laid out the evidence in front of me.

Now, at this point I would have normally overriden any vestige of British non-scene making and sent the entire meal back but everyone is now looking at me. “Oh is that nice?” they ask. I realise a trap has been sprung. I can’t make a scene. Instead I nod like a man asked to choose his favourite noose to be hanged with and resort to pushing bits of embalmed chicken around the plate, circumnavigating rice mountain, leaving bloody contrails, like a dog with worms. I think I managed two small mouthfuls before I declared that the ‘starter had really filled me up.’ It was a marginally better escape plan than pretending to die at the table. Probably good I didn’t, they’d probably just embalm and serve me up too.

At least the chap in the Wicker Man got cooked.

*OK, some value of snobbery. I eat Monster Munch sandwiches, and not just for breakfast.

« Reply #1334 on: 05 January, 2019, 10:22:30 am »

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1335 on: 05 January, 2019, 10:53:45 am »
Gaaah, chicken breast! Why does everyone use chicken breast for everything? It's the most tasteless part of the bird. Chicken thighs, every time.
This is just one of the reasons why I never have a chicken dish when eating out.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1336 on: 05 January, 2019, 01:26:11 pm »
Not much difference these days. For there to be any dark meat chickens need to be really free-range and actually use their legs running around so that the muscles get used, rather than the barn-raised hordes whose outdoor access is limited to a 30 cm hole in the wall they can never get near.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1337 on: 05 January, 2019, 01:51:26 pm »
Hence why I buy the free range meat. Although I didn't really appreciate until just now that the organic ones get more space, so I guess I'll be buying them in future. (At least until such time as hard brexit = chlorinated chicken at which point we'll be going veggie).
https://www.bicbim.co.uk/food/is-there-really-any-difference-with-organic-chicken-and-non-organic-chicken

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1338 on: 05 January, 2019, 03:27:58 pm »
Or do like three or four of our neighbours and raise your own.  Flocks took a population crash in the last couple of weeks, though. Funny that.

« Reply #1339 on: 05 January, 2019, 03:53:53 pm »
Ian, I take my hat off to you. That is some of your best work. Boneless chicken wings are your muse.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1340 on: 05 January, 2019, 09:36:43 pm »
Gaaah, chicken breast! Why does everyone use chicken breast for everything? It's the most tasteless part of the bird. Chicken thighs, every time.
This is just one of the reasons why I never have a chicken dish when eating out.

Breast is OK in Chinese or Indian dishes if in loads of sauce after lengthy marination but I'm not really fond of it.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1341 on: 05 January, 2019, 10:50:54 pm »
Or do like three or four of our neighbours and raise your own.
Ha, not in my postage stamp of garden...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1342 on: 06 January, 2019, 08:36:43 am »
Bloke across the road has a postage stamp garden with a 3 x 2-metre patch fenced off for a half a dozen chickens & a cock. He must be raising them for the eggs, though, otherwise it'd be empty PDQ.

Not something I'd care to do, though. Who raises chickens raises chicken manure.

ian

« Reply #1343 on: 06 January, 2019, 05:52:50 pm »

I'll usually use the free-range organic thighs, generic chicken breasts only taste of suffering.

The weird thing in the case above was even once identified as suspected chicken it had a peculiar rubbery texture I'd never encountered in chicken before, as though it was indeed the rubber chicken. I'm not joking when I say the only time I've encountered flesh like was in my Anatomy 0101 course when we first poked a cadaver (and believe me, they don't give the fresh ones to first-year medical students). Everything about that meal was off from the chicken à la formaldehyde to the pile of waiting Bacillus cereus it had laid out for necropsy on. The whole thing was basically a Hell-ish version of Instagram plating. And why were there three? There's only one of me, I can't think why I'd need basically 1.5 chickens in my meal.

The worst thing though was that I really want to send it back and make a fuss because frankly it wouldn't have been acceptable as a Friday night kebab in the worst parts of Hell. I've lived in the US for long enough to abrade away some of my British need to avoid any kind of scene, but I couldn't, so I had to pretend. And it was painful. I also wanted to take a picture and send it to my wife. Someone should have got some pleasure from my suffering.

It didn't get a lot better the day after when we went to Frankie & Benny's at one of those ubiquitous 'leisure parks' that pock provincial Britain (even vague Italian is pushing my parent's ethnic food boundaries, neither will eat pasta). You'd think a bacon and avocado salad would be a safe bet. Actually, you wouldn't, but I evidently did. Lettuce dressed in its own distress. I swear it wilted more each time I glanced at it. Some mush that had long since given up trying to be be avocado. It had even given up with green and settled for being some kind of troubling slime that looked as though it was trying to ooze away to a better restaurant. The small amount of bacon that had reluctantly turned up to grace a plate that cost over £12 was flabby and undercooked. That was it. There might have been a tomato though its lawyers have asked that its name be omitted from the credits.

The sad thing is that it's such an easy meal. There's no real cooking involved, it just needs fresh ingredient and basic ktichen skills. Slice and peel a ripe avocado into suitable chunks, crisp some bacon, add both to salad and toss with dressing (preferably a dressing that doesn't seem to be two parts gorilla glue to one part de-icer). It's a few minutes work in the kitchen.

ian

« Reply #1344 on: 06 January, 2019, 07:09:53 pm »
Ian, I take my hat off to you. That is some of your best work. Boneless chicken wings are your muse.

I am actually quite angry mostly because for the price you could get (and should expect) decent food cooked and served by people who give a damn* and have a smidgeon of pride in what they do. The worst tasting part of it all was the cynicism and the knowledge that my money was rewarding some faceless corporation that truly doesn't give a shit what their businesses serve provided it adds to a percentage on a spreadsheet. That people have been conned into thinking such a mediocre splattering of over-priced, over-processed food is worthy of their cash. And all this is at the expense of actual independent restaurants that would care about serving you good food.

I mostly avoid chain restaurants and pubs, but I think I'll make it an absolute rule. I'd suggest you all do too.

*the one saving grace was that the service was actually very good.

« Reply #1345 on: 06 January, 2019, 07:46:48 pm »
I've only eaten my chickens once and they were a couple of years old and layers. They were a tad (as in boot leather) tough once (mistakenly) roasted. They don't call them broilers for nothing!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1346 on: 06 January, 2019, 07:49:16 pm »
OMFG. They are a thing http://www.kitchme.com/recipes/crispy-boneless-buffalo-chicken-wings
Fake food! Buffalo, but it's not buffalo. Chicken, probably but you can't be sure. Wings, but no, it's breast. Boneless, because don't have skeletons.

Okay, I can just about accept that they're called Buffalo wings because they were invented in Buffalo, but if that's the case where or what does buffalo mozzarella come from? Chicken milk?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1347 on: 06 January, 2019, 09:10:36 pm »
I've only eaten my chickens once and they were a couple of years old and layers. They were a tad (as in boot leather) tough once (mistakenly) roasted. They don't call them broilers for nothing!

Boilers are NOT broilers!

Spent laying fowl need HOURS boiling. This produces good, if initially fatty, chicken soup. (Jewish panacea)
[ETA] The remaining flesh is somewhat dull and tasteless. It is the stuff of pies, cheap curries and stews etc. I didn't like it as a kid and I don't think it's normally sold raw in supermarkets. I suspect it's mostly an ingredient for manufactured food for humans and pets.

Broiling is the Transpondian term for roasting.

Roasting fowl are usually immature (18 week) males. They have soft flesh and the bone ends separate through the growth plates after cooking.

fuzzy

« Reply #1348 on: 07 January, 2019, 12:05:15 am »
quality work Ian. I feel for you, I really do.

I have a question however. WTAF were you doing in the back of an LAPD sqaud car (apart from eating tacos)?
If, for some unfathomable (or very fathomable) reason it was a legitimate case, how the fuck did you persuade them to release you?

ian

« Reply #1349 on: 07 January, 2019, 09:20:55 am »
quality work Ian. I feel for you, I really do.

I have a question however. WTAF were you doing in the back of an LAPD sqaud car (apart from eating tacos)?
If, for some unfathomable (or very fathomable) reason it was a legitimate case, how the fuck did you persuade them to release you?

Sadly, my reputation is untarnished, a friend of mine was in the LAPD, so thought it would be fun to give us a tour from one of his squad cars. So we got perp walked out of the precinct, hand-on-the-head as we got in the car, the works. Then we got a tour of the bits of LA that aren't on the tourist trail and ended up eating street food with a local gang in that curious detente that hardened criminals and the local PD have over exceedingly good Mexican food.