Author Topic: Beer!  (Read 87718 times)

Re: Beer!
« Reply #550 on: 09 July, 2018, 10:43:07 am »
Touring in NL last week the 20 or 25cl measures of Heineken fulfilled just that function - small enough to stay ice cold, and indeed not to cause problems if the first one is simply necked back. Dutch pilsner isn't normally my favourite style, but is dashed refreshing when you've just done a couple of hours across the polders in 30+°C heat.

« Reply #551 on: 11 July, 2018, 07:54:44 pm »
So our new local crafty beer shop has a couple cannonball variants.

From memory human cannonball and neo human cannonball. Both are nearly £8 a can but I've heard people raving.

Which one do I go for first?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

ian

« Reply #552 on: 13 July, 2018, 04:28:15 pm »
Probably safest to buy both. I’ve not yet drunk mine and the fridge is 6000 miles away so I won’t be drinking it any time soon (not back till the end of the month). Alas, I have been kidnapped by a local taxi driver and stranded in a Mikeller bar. I’m sitting outside, it’s about 28 degrees, and I have a cold glass of Mr Cloudy. Warn your kids that a career in thought leadership is tough. Oh, and the mothership is paying.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #553 on: 13 July, 2018, 05:18:43 pm »
Git.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #554 on: 13 July, 2018, 05:40:18 pm »
Actually buying both is a good plan. Of course by the time I get back there he won't have them in stock I'm sure.

ian

« Reply #555 on: 14 July, 2018, 05:16:40 am »
Git.

It's awful I know. Google also tells me there's a craft beer bar behind my hotel. So I won't even need the taxi this evening.

« Reply #556 on: 14 July, 2018, 02:13:17 pm »
Only un-human cannonball available this time round so I grabbed one. I'll try and catch the other variants some other time.

You can tell it's a strong beer. Yowzers.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #557 on: 14 July, 2018, 09:03:23 pm »
Git.

It's awful I know. Google also tells me there's a craft beer bar behind my hotel. So I won't even need the taxi this evening.

Where are you this time?

I must admit to being a little underwhelmed by the Mikkeler bars in CPH and Berlin, though admittedly I've not made it to Mikkeler & Friends (too early for opening) and I did like Warpigs, even though the food was a bit meaty for my tastes.

ian

« Reply #558 on: 15 July, 2018, 06:07:34 am »
Bangkok this weekend (flying to Jakarta tomorrow). I confess, I do find Mikkeler a bit hit-and-miss (beers and bars) but they usually have something interesting and it was a break from the local generic lagers (admittedly refreshing when it's 30 plus degrees and 90% humidity). I'm on my own for the weekend, so I just want to find places with decent beer where I can chill out, have a bite to eat and read a book, rather than compete with loud boozed-up crowds. No 'funky massages' (as my Thai colleague describes them) in Patpong for me (and I'm trying to avoid the football too, which has proved more difficult, I couldn't even get away from it in Hanoi).

ian

« Reply #559 on: 19 July, 2018, 08:18:20 am »
My grand tour of national non-descript lagers ended with the evocatively named Bintang – alas, my next and final stop (Malaysia) doesn't appear to have a national non-descript lager. Shame, I've managed Singha, Chang, Leo, Hanoi, Saigon, Beerlao, Cambodia, and Manila (some try harder with the names than others). Honestly, I need a a full on DIPA at this point. I may have booked a hotel next to a large craft beer bar. May as well enjoy my last Bintang or three in the airport lounge.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #560 on: 19 July, 2018, 05:38:45 pm »
Going to Egypt next week. Doubt I'll be getting any beer there....

ian

« Reply #561 on: 19 July, 2018, 07:05:47 pm »
There are several nondescript local lagers in Egypt plus imported stuff. Mostly hotel drinking though there are bars and nightclubs (in Cairo anyway).

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #562 on: 25 July, 2018, 04:01:05 pm »
last week some Fierce stuff, and some other stuff in CASC, I vaguely remember it was stuff that has been wittered on about expressly recommended from this place, and it was good.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #563 on: 28 July, 2018, 10:17:44 pm »
We went to Overworks in Ellon to look at barrels drink some soor beers  :P

The view from the bar:

overworks_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #564 on: 28 July, 2018, 10:33:34 pm »
Had a nice pineapple sour at our local crafty beer place earlier and I bought another can of un-human cannonball home to drink tomorrow at some point.

« Reply #565 on: 28 July, 2018, 10:34:01 pm »
Most likely to be quickly followed by a nap if last time is anything to go by.

« Reply #566 on: 01 August, 2018, 05:28:52 pm »
Does anyone have and beer or brewery recs for Washington and Oregon? I've got an imminent two week trip incorporating Seattle, Bellingham, Portland and Bend...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #567 on: 01 August, 2018, 07:03:30 pm »
I have in the past consumed a goodly quantity of Full Sail's IPA, hailing from Hood River OR.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #568 on: 01 August, 2018, 07:05:43 pm »
From what I gather of the PNW, you need but fling out your arm and you'll hit another craft brewery... I'm afraid I can't make any recommendations, but have fun!

ian

« Reply #569 on: 01 August, 2018, 07:48:32 pm »
There's more than sixty breweries alone in Portland, not many fewer in Seattle. Plus taprooms and bars. Google and invest in one of those 1000-packs of ibuprofen from Walgreens. I've not been for a few years (I'll be visiting later in the summer) and obviously my memories are a little blurry.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #570 on: 01 August, 2018, 08:09:22 pm »
@lahoski rotten you will be spoiled, remortgage your house and remember people will pay good money for a spare kidney. As Ian said there silly amount of breweries in both states/cities.  American beer isn't fecking close to water anymore. They do like their hobs and server them colder than we tend to have them. But then again I tend to go for pale ales and IPAs, which often tend to up the % a bit.

Here is something to help you plan :)

http://www.brewtrail.com

https://washingtonbeer.com/breweries/

https://oregoncraftbeer.org/breweries/

hick erm I mean enjoy !
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #571 on: 02 August, 2018, 01:09:36 pm »
Good websites! Not sure about remortgaging given today's interest rate rise but we've got two spare kidneys between us. So far our plan seems to one thirds camping* and walking in t' mountains and two thirds traipsing around breweries so a little off-books surgery might be necessary.

There's more than sixty breweries alone in Portland...

We've got two days, should be a'ight I reckon.

ian

« Reply #572 on: 06 August, 2018, 12:09:01 pm »
Did the London Craft Beer thing on Friday which was very nice. I can't list everything, but some splendid selections. On the downside, the food was shit, I mean seriously what kind of idiot makes their business around selling hot dogs and doesn't have mustard and ketchup. Why bother with the hot dog while you are at it.

Popped a can of Neo-Human Cannonball last night. Very tasty. A lot better than the Human Cannonball which was nice, but I think a little overrated. Not tried the UnHuman yet. Stumbled across a craft beer shop in Forest Hill on the way home from the cinema (when did that appear?). It's become impossible for me to get home without a pannier full of boozy gains. Every route now proffers temptation. And that's before I get to Freshfield in Croydon. There's also a glimmer of hipsterism in Croyders itself, there's an Arts & Craft place (the same as the ones in Streatham and West Norwood) with a couple of taps the ubiquitous street food. Nice to sit outside in this weather, going to be a bit cramped inside in winter mind.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #573 on: 06 August, 2018, 12:53:54 pm »
I'm very lucky that our cycling club uses a CAMRA multi-award-winning pub as "HQ".

Anyone (who appreciates well-kept beer) within reach of North-West Hampshire could do much worse than head to The Wonston Arms.

It's a pub.  It's not a restaurant.  The landlord, Matt, was tired of looking at the boarded up pub in the village, bought it, and has made it a wonderful focal-point for village life.  You know..like pubs used to be.

The Wonston Arms
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #574 on: 06 August, 2018, 04:39:30 pm »
Just read that a pint of is > £6 in many London pubs now. That's just mad !
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.