Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2492397 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #18575 on: 26 May, 2016, 11:08:45 am »
1 hour and 2 minutes.

That's my fastest ever time home, when I started this job in november it was taking me somewhere between 1 hour 30 minutes and 1 hour 45 minutes. my average time these days is down to about 1 hour 15 minutes.

I've got a pretty steep climb smack bang in the middle of the 24km, and I'm overweight, and riding a heavy thorn raven tour.

Might go and look at carbon bikes tomorrow so see if I can get it home under the hour.

D.
Good going, Dave! Get it under the hour and we'll bake a cake!  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #18576 on: 26 May, 2016, 04:50:25 pm »
Cycled up to King's Cross earlier. My god, it's the fortress of invulnerability when it comes to cyclists. It's moated by multi-laned traffic-snarled roads. Fortunately everything was at a halt. A splendid example of British cycling infrastructure, major train stations with no obvious means to cycle to or from them.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #18577 on: 26 May, 2016, 05:17:23 pm »
I'm sure I've been caught out a couple of times at King's X when there was no means of getting a train from there either.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #18578 on: 27 May, 2016, 12:15:57 am »
No rain today and the wind was relatively benign.
I tried for a PR up one of the Strava segments so imagine my disappointment when I plugged the Garmin in and found that it was only my 3rd fastest time.
It makes the fact that I was scalped by an MTB rider as I grovelled along after my attempt even more humiliating.
I need to ride my bike harder more frequently I think.

Fourth consecutive commute.

« Reply #18579 on: 27 May, 2016, 06:28:34 am »
Oh! I haven't been on here for a while but I spotted someone in a KOTM yacf shirt this morning heading west along Turks row around 8.20. Was it you, TimO?

Almost certainly me!  It's been a while since anyone has spotted me. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #18580 on: 27 May, 2016, 08:32:36 am »
Last night down Kings Road staying out of the cycle lane in the door zone and dodging pot holes heard a screaming engine and then lots of beeping but still held my line, guy pulled alongside for a cycle lane rant and tried to force me into the parked cars, what followed was a bit of a game of cat and mouse as he tried to brake test me etc, then the plod came the opposite way and he sped off like his arse was on fire with plod in pursuit. I love riding around Moss Side  ::-)

Supposed to be taking it easy today but it's such a lovely morning and the brand new surface up Alexandra Road is so silky smooth couldn't resist opening the taps, massive fun.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #18581 on: 27 May, 2016, 09:12:39 am »
To the guy that undertook a left turning vehicle on Tower Bridge Road on a Boris bike... you were unbelievably lucky not to be road kill and don't look back as if it was the van's fault. He had his indicators on for a long time at the lights you twat!

« Reply #18582 on: 27 May, 2016, 09:30:56 am »
Cycled up to King's Cross earlier. My god, it's the fortress of invulnerability when it comes to cyclists. It's moated by multi-laned traffic-snarled roads. Fortunately everything was at a halt. A splendid example of British cycling infrastructure, major train stations with no obvious means to cycle to or from them.
If you're coming up from Blackfriars direction there's a quiet route via Fleet Street, Fetter lane, Red Lion Street, Brunswick Sq and Argyle Street which brings you out opposite Pancras Road where you have your own dedicated cycle crossing to get you over 8 lanes of motionless traffic.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #18583 on: 27 May, 2016, 10:01:19 am »
I'm heading up into the West End (of Lundun) this morning. It'll be the first time* I've been up on a weekday since all the superhighways were opened. I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to it or not.

* I'm going up to retrieve  a D-lock from the bike rack behind the office I last worked in two and a half years ago.  I never went back to it after my accident and it was only the other day when I was walking past it that I remembered (i.e. noticed) where I had left the lock  ::-)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

ian

« Reply #18584 on: 27 May, 2016, 10:25:03 am »
If you're coming up from Blackfriars direction there's a quiet route via Fleet Street, Fetter lane, Red Lion Street, Brunswick Sq and Argyle Street which brings you out opposite Pancras Road where you have your own dedicated cycle crossing to get you over 8 lanes of motionless traffic.

I sort of knew there were paths (having worked in the area since the Jurassic – though the mothership moves to the South Bank in 2017, an entire new planet), but I could find them and it wasn't so obviously signposted so I forged on over Blackfriars and up Farringdon Rd. It was doubly complicated as I had to get to Crinan St on the other side on KX. As it turned out, taking the Brommie rather than the Northern Line meant I was at my meeting half an hour early. It's amazing how quick you can get around London a bike. Fifteen minutes at amble pace from London Bridge to KX. That time in the morning it would have taken longer to get on a Northern Line train.

Got beeped by a white van on the way home. I was in the middle of the lane waiting at the lights (mostly can't be arsed pushing through, and in this case there was a bus being towed in front) at the south end of Figges Marsh in benighted Mitcham. You're in the way, the driver shouts. I give it a few seconds and say that indeed, yes, I am and leave it at that. I recommend this approach rather than getting shouty. Just say something that has no clear response. It's like sticking a broomstick through their metal spokes.

There does indeed seem to be a cycle path forming through Mitcham Common. I assume unfinished though there were no clear signs of activity, as there's no signage, white paint or easy means to leap onto it. Also, it manages not to connect with anything at every end, as a cyclist I presume you'd have to arise de novo from the common itself.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #18585 on: 27 May, 2016, 10:35:14 am »
And in fine? I've found myself in danger of winking out of existence a couple of times in Mitcham. Though if I'd known what was waiting for me in Morden I might have welcomed it.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #18586 on: 27 May, 2016, 10:37:38 am »
Overtaken by a gang of Dutch Harley Davidson* (and various imitations thereof) enthusiasts. One of whom rang a bicycle bell as he passed!

*The riders were Dutch, not the bikes
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #18587 on: 27 May, 2016, 10:39:24 am »
... There does indeed seem to be a cycle path forming through Mitcham Common. I assume unfinished though there were no clear signs of activity, as there's no signage, white paint or easy means to leap onto it. Also, it manages not to connect with anything at every end, as a cyclist I presume you'd have to arise de novo from the common itself.

Whereabouts?

I do like Watneys Road, it always feels like I'm cycling through some post-apocalyptic landscape, where the countryside is slowly encroaching upon the road.  It's a shame it drops you onto the A236, with its somewhat insanely dangerous traffic.

ian

« Reply #18588 on: 27 May, 2016, 10:46:29 am »
Along that very same A236, where Watneys Road emerges on the south side of the common (and yes, it's rather splendid little road for post-apocalyptic imaginings). They've narrowed the A236 (claimed the old painted on cycle lane) and added a wide tarmac path that looks like a cycle path. But it only runs from the Cedars Road roundabout to the Croydon end of the common where you are flung back out into the traffic again (and the prospect of the Lombard Circle of Death).

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #18589 on: 27 May, 2016, 12:47:50 pm »
A very roadie-looking cyclist sounded a bicycle horn as we crossed. Made me giggle all the way to work.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

ian

« Reply #18590 on: 27 May, 2016, 04:21:51 pm »
Reminds me, I was passed going through Tooting by a bloke on a bike. Ordinary bicycle with a little petrol engine strapped to it. Didn't look very legal.

Hmm, just noticed this year's first cycling death was on a bit of road I often use. Not surprised given the road in question.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #18591 on: 27 May, 2016, 08:11:51 pm »
Yesterday work bound.  There's a bit of road that was repaired some 2 years ago after 10 (yes *ten*) years along which, prior to the rebuild, it was necessary to weave to avoid the elephant nests.  So *perhaps* I shouldn't be surprised that I automatically went into a weave pattern over a stretch that used to be particularly bad.  I only realised what I done a couple of dozen yards later.  Weird.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #18592 on: 28 May, 2016, 12:09:00 am »
I made it 5 out of 5. I think I've only done that once before evah and that was to my worst job evah. It seemed to annoy my then boss that I'd rather cycle through central MCR than drive the heap of shit company car that they'd given me. That wasn't why I rode in; I did it for all the usual reasons, reasons he wouldn't have understood even if I'd tried to explain them

Highlight of today's commute was the behaviour of the driver of Stagecoach's X57. He passed me twice, the first time after waiting quite a while until it was safe and then giving me loads of room. The second time he again waited but I was able to get onto the pavement (it was clear, I could see a long way) so he could get past. We parted at some traffic lights with a wave. I've e-mailed Stagecoach.

I finished work quite early so I decided to stop on the way home to pick up some beer. I couldn't get four cans into my Carradice so three went in the bag and one in my bidon. It was nearly empty by the time I got home  ::-).
I've now got the weekend off (huzzah !) and more late shifts next week so I'm intending to continue using the bike rather than the car.

« Reply #18593 on: 28 May, 2016, 11:05:41 am »
Reminds me, I was passed going through Tooting by a bloke on a bike. Ordinary bicycle with a little petrol engine strapped to it. Didn't look very legal. ...

If there's a petrol engine operating on it, it's a motorcycle.  I've seen a couple of bicycle with electric motors this year, which were accelerating well past 20mph (the legal maximum speed for electrically assisted pedal cycles to be providing power assistance is 15.5mph).  In both these cases, unless they've got all sorts of things which are unlikely, such as type approval, VED (although I guess they no longer need a disc), number plates, insurance, MOT etc they're almost certainly breaking various laws.  Of course, without any identifying features, such as the non-present number plates, it's essentially impossible for us to do anything.

Unfortunately, both of the ones I saw, were behaving like complete assholes, and not using them even remotely safely.  If I had a useful way to identify them, or saw them more than once, I would report them to the Met.

« Reply #18594 on: 31 May, 2016, 12:06:41 am »
No bank holiday for me today although a late start meant that Helen and I and a friend were able to ride to Alexandra Park fro a coffee and a sit in the sun. Shame that the herons appear to have gone.
Riding in to work, there was quite a party going on on the terrace of Albert's Shed. This was at about 14.30.
It was more subdued when I came back at 23.00 but I did wonder if anyone was still there from earlier.

« Reply #18595 on: 31 May, 2016, 08:07:00 am »
Quite a stiff headwind this morning but the sun was nice, picked up a ticking noise, I suspect BB, didn't need that after this weekends performance with the gas guzzling dinosaur  ::-)

« Reply #18596 on: 31 May, 2016, 09:04:54 am »
nagging headwind and laptop in pannier meant a slower than normal time, but half term traffic reductions more than compensated.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #18597 on: 31 May, 2016, 09:49:52 am »
Stiff tailwind and glorious sunshine today to meet my first ride back after over a week on holiday 8)
Very Quick, though the return will be a bit slower.

Also happy that today I should pass 4000km for the year. Not much compared to some here, but my target is 8000km, so I'm a month ahead :smug:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #18598 on: 31 May, 2016, 02:03:26 pm »

That crossing will also take you via Argyle Street / Ampton Street into the generally pretty good cycle network around Islington although I agree that more signposts would be welcome. Generally following cycle route signs in London is a good way to end up a locked gate or flight of stairs.

Once it's finished the NS cycle superhighway is supposed to be extended up to King's Cross station which will make a pretty big difference.

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/cycling/northsouth

There are also some connections into/around the new KX development area. Might be good once the building work is finished.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #18599 on: 31 May, 2016, 05:55:01 pm »
4 day weekend with lots of walking and no pedalling resulted in horribly leaden legs this morning.  This evening they will be leaden and soggy. Boo.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.