Author Topic: Reviews of cycle stuff  (Read 1488 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Reviews of cycle stuff
« on: 20 November, 2016, 02:34:37 pm »
The other day I stumbled across a website that said it reviewed cycling stuff BUT did so by buying it, testing it and reporting with reviews - the main point was that suppliers didn't provide stuff and PR text etc which is the norm . . .with advertising expenditure influencing reviews.   It was independent and unbiased

I thought I had bookmarked it but can't find it . . . can anyone point me towards it please?

Thanks

Rob

Re: Reviews of cycle stuff
« Reply #1 on: 20 November, 2016, 04:20:15 pm »
How do the people who run this website earn a living? (It's a genuine question, I have no clue!) Buying parts, testing them and writing reports cost a lot of time and money, so they have to earn something one way or another.

robgul

« Reply #2 on: 20 November, 2016, 04:23:53 pm »
How do the people who run this website earn a living? (It's a genuine question, I have no clue!) Buying parts, testing them and writing reports cost a lot of time and money, so they have to earn something one way or another.

I don't know!  I hadn't got that far when I thought I had bookmarked it. 

They must have some other business strand that earns them money, or they charge for the review information  - perhaps like Which magazine that has some headline stuff for free and the detail is paid for [Have to say I haven't looked at Which since I had a subscription in 1970 - that's how it worked then]

Rob

Samuel D

« Reply #3 on: 20 November, 2016, 04:39:34 pm »
Was it In The Know Cycling? The guy behind that site is clearly a workaholic but his judgement is off on several things, according to my judgment.

robgul

« Reply #4 on: 20 November, 2016, 04:44:14 pm »
Was it In The Know Cycling? The guy behind that site is clearly a workaholic but his judgement is off on several things, according to my judgment.

Ah - not that one I'm afraid.  The one I saw has a text paragraph on the Home page with the "we buy all the stuff" message about independence

Rob

« Reply #5 on: 20 November, 2016, 05:33:45 pm »
Checed your browser history?

robgul

« Reply #6 on: 20 November, 2016, 07:38:02 pm »
Checed your browser history?

It's set to delete when it closes :-(