Author Topic: Instead of a Tablet  (Read 1509 times)

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
Instead of a Tablet
« on: 24 September, 2019, 10:18:15 am »
I had quite an advanced tablet habit - I took one with me almost everywhere - until I managed to crack two screens in a row. Both tablets had several other flaws, so were not really worth repairing.

Now, after a few weeks without, I find I prefer to wait till I can get to a proper computer for browsing and writing purposes, but there were three devices that the tablet replaced for which a static computer is no substitute: camera, voice recorder and watch/timer.

None of them require Internet access, and a tablet is not particularly good at any one of them. What would you recommend for each at a price that won't make me think 'feck it, I'll just get another tablet'?
Jennifer - Walker of hills

Re: Instead of a Tablet
« Reply #1 on: 24 September, 2019, 10:21:41 am »
A mobile phone? You don't need a SIM but the camera will be much better than a tablet.

« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2019, 10:24:03 am »
what's your current phone? if it's even reasonably 'smart' it'll do all of that..

(I did the same as you, havent replaced my tablet and don't miss it at all)
((except for reading books on it. The phone screen is too small))
(((but it's reminded me I much prefer actual books anyway...)))

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3 on: 24 September, 2019, 10:26:08 am »
I'm using Mrs P's old phone without a SIM as an occasional use mini-tablet.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 24 September, 2019, 10:51:35 am »
A camera? Maybe a small tough one, if you want to chuck it your pocket and not worry about it. You could record videos if you want to use it as a voice recorder. Though the microphone may not be great quality.

Plus your choice of wristwatch. Can get a Casio digital watch for less than £10. Simple and reliable, including stopwatch, timer etc.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 24 September, 2019, 11:01:55 am »
Tablet with a decent keyboard case.  It'll protect the screen.

ian

« Reply #6 on: 24 September, 2019, 11:02:59 am »
I went through a stage of using an iPad but eventually admitted it was an awkward compromise for most things – a Macbook isn't exactly a burden and far more flexible for actual tasks without compromise, and a smartphone more portable for tasks on the move, photos and the like. There's plenty of cheapish smartphones around, especially second-hand.

I only use my iPad for occasional browsing these days. I wouldn't buy another.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 24 September, 2019, 12:58:19 pm »
I'm old-skool and use a camera for taking photos and a watch for time-related things.  Verily, it doth make me laarrff watching folks using a foot-long fondeslab to take their holiday snaps.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 24 September, 2019, 01:08:18 pm »
Esp. when aforesaid fondlefetish is in a luxury foldover case which keeps flapping shut.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 24 September, 2019, 01:33:46 pm »
Yes, the use of a fondleslab as a camera should only be permissible when:
a) You're a visually impaired person using it in order to see something distant.
b) You're fondling the slab, and suddenly have reason to photograph what's immediately in front of you.
c) Video conferencing.

JennyB

« Reply #10 on: 24 September, 2019, 03:05:31 pm »
I never really thought about the possibility of a sim-less smartphone. Possibly that's because I'm 63 and so both too old and too young to get into mobiles. All my friends of 70 or 80 wouldn't be without them, but I just have a cheap Tesco pay-as-you-go that I only keep for away-from-home emergencies.

Camera or phone, I'm looking for the equivalent of a Morris Minor - not fast or flashy, but it will keep on getting you there.

« Reply #11 on: 24 September, 2019, 03:15:12 pm »
Just think of it as a smaller tablet with a much better camera!
Something like the Moto G7 power for £159.95 from Amazon

« Reply #12 on: 24 September, 2019, 03:30:18 pm »
iPad Mini, if they still do them? I find using my phone as a surfing device rather tedious. I am 58 with varisexual glasses and it's a pain to read my smallish screened Honor 9 Lite. YMMV, especially with a larger screen on your phone.
https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/searchresults/?searchterm=ipad+mini&redir-to=
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #13 on: 25 September, 2019, 12:11:06 am »

You don't need to spend anything like that. A £30 PAYG Android phone is likely to have no worse a camera than found in a tablet, if that's all that's needed.

And yeah, since it's all Android - assuming your tablet was - you're not really having to learn anything new.

JennyB

« Reply #14 on: 25 September, 2019, 08:59:10 am »

You don't need to spend anything like that. A £30 PAYG Android phone is likely to have no worse a camera than found in a tablet, if that's all that's needed.

And yeah, since it's all Android - assuming your tablet was - you're not really having to learn anything new.

That makes a lot of sense (yes, it was Android) something handier (for my purposes) for the cost of replacing the screen on the tablet.

« Reply #15 on: 25 September, 2019, 09:28:14 am »

That was just an example as we don't know the budget.

A Moto E5 play is only £60. I would be wary of really cheap phones as the camera tends to be a bit naff!