Author Topic: ACME Socially Distanced Group Permanent on Saturday 1st August 2020  (Read 19056 times)

MsG

• No hills in Fenland but lots of wind
Re: ACME Socially Distanced Group Permanent on Saturday 1st August 2020
« Reply #25 on: 27 June, 2020, 09:29:52 pm »
So, permanents up to 200km will be sanctioned by AUK, from 1st August, therefore I'm proposing an ACME group perm on that day to celebrate! All welcome, small groups or solo, whatever you're comfortable with, socially distanced etc, subject to any government restrictions which may be introduced or eased by that date ...

I suggest my Boudicca's Revenge 200, with the option of the 100km route for anyone lacking full randonnee fitness. Takeaway food and drink should be available at Buntingford [shops, including bakers], Potton [ditto], Chatteris [likewise] and the Cambridge A14 services [apparently fully open, including toilets]. The Angel and Harp should still be doing takeaway beer in their car park on weekend evenings, to celebrate at the arrivee. [Food pre-ordered only, though there are plenty of fast food outlets up the town.] By August maybe more options will be available.

Hi, would you mind pointing me in the direction of details of the 100km route please? Thanks :-)

« Reply #26 on: 28 June, 2020, 09:01:13 am »
So, permanents up to 200km will be sanctioned by AUK, from 1st August, therefore I'm proposing an ACME group perm on that day to celebrate! All welcome, small groups or solo, whatever you're comfortable with, socially distanced etc, subject to any government restrictions which may be introduced or eased by that date ...

I suggest my Boudicca's Revenge 200, with the option of the 100km route for anyone lacking full randonnee fitness. Takeaway food and drink should be available at Buntingford [shops, including bakers], Potton [ditto], Chatteris [likewise] and the Cambridge A14 services [apparently fully open, including toilets]. The Angel and Harp should still be doing takeaway beer in their car park on weekend evenings, to celebrate at the arrivee. [Food pre-ordered only, though there are plenty of fast food outlets up the town.] By August maybe more options will be available.

Hi, would you mind pointing me in the direction of details of the 100km route please? Thanks :-)

https://www.audax.uk/event-details?eventId=1445

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

MsG

« Reply #27 on: 28 June, 2020, 09:11:08 am »
Great, thanks :-)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #28 on: 28 June, 2020, 12:47:39 pm »
Ooh. As a newly-retired (read redundant) ex-worker, this - or at least the 100 - would give me something to look forward to. Sounds fun!

MsG

« Reply #29 on: 28 June, 2020, 02:40:54 pm »

The routesheet link isn't working for me. I checked the Tomsk site but couldn't find it.
I may attempt the 200k with a Chatteris start though...

https://www.audax.uk/event-details?eventId=1445

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: 28 June, 2020, 03:11:19 pm »
Anyone who can't find the 100 & 200km Boudicca routes on AUKweb or tomsk.co.uk can pm/email me and I'll email a route sheet and info.

Any who feels the distance is too great for current lockdown fitness can come along for a bit, then head back/find a pub etc.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #31 on: 28 June, 2020, 03:21:55 pm »
<bookmarks - if the weather is perfect yada-yada I might ride over to the start on Fri night.
Hopefully someone will organise something closer to home before this happens! >
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #32 on: 28 June, 2020, 04:31:53 pm »
Week after next planning to ride my first 200km since lockdown. Then I’ll see where endurance  fitness is and whether I want to join a group perm on 1st Aug.

« Reply #33 on: 30 June, 2020, 06:09:11 pm »
Hi Tomsk, where do I find an entry form or your email address. Keen to attempt my first 200km ride for 12 months.
I'll drive to Gt Dunmow from North Herts. Hope I can get a pint at the end.
Cheers

« Reply #34 on: 30 June, 2020, 06:46:08 pm »
Hi Tomsk, where do I find an entry form or your email address. Keen to attempt my first 200km ride for 12 months.
https://www.audax.uk/event-details?eventId=1446
or for a blank entry form to print, fill in, sign and take along:
https://www.audax.uk/choose-a-ride/permanent-events/ (and scroll down)

« Reply #35 on: 30 June, 2020, 06:54:09 pm »
Cheers

I’m pondering cycling over to start this one from Buntingford if interested.  I’m heading out on a 200km ride next week to see where my endurance is, before committing.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: 30 June, 2020, 07:22:52 pm »
Cheers

I’m pondering cycling over to start this one from Buntingford if interested.  I’m heading out on a 200km ride next week to see where my endurance is, before committing.

:thumbsup: Buntingford works well if you're contemplating a ride-to-the-start, if you're in a near enough bit of North Herts. The delights of the A507?? Day's (bakers) in the High Street does takeaway coffee and there are benches all along.

Otherwise, if you drive to Gt Dunmow, the toilets in the Rec. car park opposite me have been open for weeks, (free - and should be plenty of room in the early morning), not sure from quite how early though - I'll try and catch the caretaker as he lives just down the road.

« Reply #37 on: 30 June, 2020, 07:43:45 pm »
Cheers

:thumbsup: Buntingford works well if you're contemplating a ride-to-the-start, if you're in a near enough bit of North Herts. The delights of the A507?? Day's (bakers) in the High Street does takeaway coffee and there are benches all along.

Yes A507 , pretty quiet most days and times. Plenty of B roads are busier. From the end of the 30 mph zone in Cottered it’s only about a 2 mile ride. In fact I’m heading out that way tomorrow.

« Reply #38 on: 30 June, 2020, 08:46:43 pm »
Thanks for replies. I'm from Letchworth. So ATM a bit too far to cycle to Dunmow. Current fitness is only 70 odd miles to Thaxted and back, a month will see me OK to gain 200 km fitness. Not averse to a Buntingford start. Lightning, Drossall?
Last long ride was Dunwich Dynamo 2019. Not this year though.
So, if anyone is in my neck of the woods and fancies an early 6am sumday ride let me know. Not sure where to post though

« Reply #39 on: 30 June, 2020, 10:22:00 pm »
I'm more for the 100 than the 200. Not sure if that rules me out. I'd thought to potter round on my own because of lockdown still being somewhat in place - seems more in the spirit of the AUK Board's intention. Sorry if that sounds anti-social.

The A507 isn't bad, but I'd wondered about Weston, Cottered and Throcking, which I don't think I've ever ridden through. I notice that there's a new housing estate road in Buntingford from opposite the Throcking Road onto the old A10.

« Reply #40 on: 01 July, 2020, 06:20:24 am »
Hi Drossall, don't blame you for considering soloing. If I'm not up to 200 I may do 100. Throcking like a village time forgot. Not on the way to anywhere if that makes sense. Very peaceful. Crossing A10 near Buntingford no problem, good visibility both ways.

« Reply #41 on: 01 July, 2020, 08:24:51 am »
Thanks - if you're even considering 200 I'd probably only slow you down anyway. But I'm kind of hoping to see people on the road occasionally, even if only as they whizz past ;D

« Reply #42 on: 01 July, 2020, 04:26:38 pm »
The A507 isn't bad, but I'd wondered about Weston, Cottered and Throcking, which I don't think I've ever ridden through. I notice that there's a new housing estate road in Buntingford from opposite the Throcking Road onto the old A10.

Had a look at the new housing estate in Buntingford today.  There’s an access road comes out on the A10 trunk about 20-30 metres (to left as you emerge from Throcking direction) from where the Throcking road emerges. There’s already a right turning filter lane marked on the A10. The access road was blocked by metal mesh security fencing today so I threw myself and bike over it, and next (easier to get past) fence just before housing estate. When that access road is open it’ll make the Throcking route a pleasant and preferred option indeed.

See image below for my route today which currently involves climbing over a security fence.

Thanks for the tip, it’ll be a good option once it’s legit.

Oh and bakery , Sainsbury’s, Coop and a couple of other shops were open in Buntingford, more by 1st August😀

« Reply #43 on: 01 July, 2020, 10:11:35 pm »
Excellent. That's what I hoped, looking at Google maps. There's a footpath just to the south of that housing estate as well I think but, apart from being illegal to cycle on, it didn't look very promising even for nipping through on foot.

Thanks for the update. Throcking it will be!

I did notice some campaigning going on. Something to do with a plan from the Council to turn that estate road into the main way onto the A10, and close the exit up where the old road meets the new. Seems a daft idea to me, but I'm not sure of the full reasoning. I can understand why the new residents are up in arms if their quiet back road is to become a rat run.

« Reply #44 on: 09 July, 2020, 11:11:53 am »
Well in this organiser's case, let me know you're riding, turn up on my doorstep on Saturday morning, pick a pre-packaged brevet from a shoebox in exchange for your perm event application form [I'll have spares should you need them].

Sounds great - very interested in doing the 200. Not done anything over 100 since the Horsepower 200 in March, so July includes some building back up to test the 'distance fitness'. A relaxed ride at a low fixed ratio of 67" is likely.

Could I check how the socially distanced perm works: I'd want to start around 8 am, so would arrive with an entry form and fee and get a perm brevet. Is the depart and arrivée controlled by a person at Casa Tomsk and/or the pub, or do I get a Dunmow receipt as I set off?

Cheers

Nim

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #45 on: 09 July, 2020, 12:46:15 pm »
Could I check how the socially distanced perm works?

Well, this is something I've tried to work out for myself, reading beween the lines of Government guidlines, AUK discussion etc ...

1) Enter in advance by post if possible (note, I've about 8 x 200km brevets left, more to come soon, but plenty of 100km - so maybe a delay before you get sent one). If undecided then on the line entry is ok, if you bring a completed form, SAE and payment (£3 cash or cheque).

2) On the day knock on my door to say hi and that's ok as proof-of-passage for me to stamp your brevet later. If you're off very early (before 07:00) or after 09:00 then you'll need a receipt from somewhere up the town. I'll leave a few spare brevets at home after I set off just in case. If you decide not to ride, then by all means use the brevet another day - just let me know your plans though please.

3) Set off when ready - small groups ok, up to 6 together as I understand it. Obviously I'll be lanterne rouge/Tommy-no-mates, but I might catch a few up ... in which case if I'm present you can fill in your brevet at controls and won't need a receipt there.

4) At the finish, I'll be heading for the Angel and Harp (must check their arrangements soon). Hand your brevet and receipts to me, otherwise drop in my post box at #31. I'll let them stew for a bit, (ie at least 72 hours, probably more), then go through the sweaty but hopefully by then virus-free paperwork! In the post to you after I've validated.

« Reply #46 on: 09 July, 2020, 01:11:59 pm »
... after which, we'll all let them stew again for another 72 hours ;D

Thanks, that all sounds clear. Or post them back of course if not starting/finishing at Dunmow. In which case, once all the stewing is finished, it may be September at least ;D

« Reply #47 on: 09 July, 2020, 06:59:29 pm »
Thanks for clarifying Tom :thumbsup:. My entry will be in the post after I get paid next week. I’ll probably start/finish in Walden - hopefully I’ll manage to get to Dunmow before you leave and save myself the extra few hundred metres ride into town ;D

rob

« Reply #48 on: 10 July, 2020, 10:49:18 pm »
I rode round Dick Turpin’s Day Out today.   I’ve forgotten how much I like this route.  My legs haven’t deserted me.

« Reply #49 on: 11 July, 2020, 06:54:29 pm »
4) At the finish, I'll be heading for the Angel and Harp (must check their arrangements soon). Hand your brevet and receipts to me, otherwise drop in my post box at #31. I'll let them stew for a bit, (ie at least 72 hours, probably more), then go through the sweaty but hopefully by then virus-free paperwork! In the post to you after I've validated.

Thanks Tom, all sounds good and my entry should be with you soon. By the way, due to my work I've had to take an interest in the research on survival of coronavirus on paper, and we'll be working with 72 hours quarantine for paper.

Nim