Author Topic: Dodgy Amazon Reviews - Mea Culpa?  (Read 1592 times)

Dodgy Amazon Reviews - Mea Culpa?
« on: 24 September, 2020, 06:37:26 pm »
We've all learned to treat Amazon reviews with a bit of scepticism - haven't we? Well I've found out how some of those dodgy reveiws come about.

1) I bought a 'trailcam' through Amazon to see what if anything was visiting my allotment 'wildlife area' (spoiler - not a lot).
1a) After purchasing it I got an email from Ape man  (no space in the name) inviting me to send a copy of my order to them and receive a free SD card.
1b) A few days ago I got an email from Ape man inviting me purchase a specified pair of binoculars from Amazon and send screenshots of the order and my 5* review and they would refund my purchase of the binoculars.

2) A while ago I bought an indoor security camera - again from Amazon - and in the box was a card inviting me to put up a 5*review, send a screenshot of the review, my order details and - hey presto! - I'd get a free second identical security camera.

Now both of these, the trail camera, and the security camera, were actually very suitable for my purposes, and I might well have put up a 5* review in any case without an incentive. But...
How many reviews are out there from people who felt there were serious downsides to their purchase, but were swayed into being economical with the truth by the bribes?

1b) I got the refund for an excellent pair of binoculars - probably the best I've ever owned - within 24 hours of contacting them with the review. 2) My second security camera arrived today, about 3 days after posting the review.

Have I sold my soul? Is this ethical? How widespread is this?
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Re: Dodgy Amazon Reviews - Mea Culpa?
« Reply #1 on: 24 September, 2020, 06:45:47 pm »
My take - I'm happy taking a bribe and declaring it in the review, and providing genuine feedback. Truth is, I'm more inclined to do so if the service/product is good, otherwise they can go hang.

ian

« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2020, 06:59:04 pm »
It's a ubiquitous practice since Amazon started verifying purchases (before that you could buy five-star reviews by the dozen).

« Reply #3 on: 24 September, 2020, 07:16:03 pm »
If you are the type to be swayed by reviews it is worth knowing that they are not all that they pretend to be.

I don't recall ever reading product reviews and I certainly never post any.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 24 September, 2020, 07:25:44 pm »
I was prompted to review an MSI picture-card after installing it.  “You could win a delicious prize” said the software.  So I reviewed it.  And subsequently received a parcel from the Nether Regions containing a T-shaped shirt and two (2) packets of stroopwafels a shiny gaming mouse.  Shameless tart, me.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 25 September, 2020, 08:40:39 am »
Back in the day when I worked on a restaurant guide, I became well versed in spotting solicited reviews. It’s actually not hard.

I always ignore the ratings on amazon/tripadvisor anyway and look for substantive comments in the content of the review. 2-3 star reviews are often a lot more useful and informative than 5 star ravings.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #6 on: 25 September, 2020, 09:41:41 am »
Indeed, there are two types of five-star reviews, the ones you pay for and the ones written by people who'd probably give their toenail fungus a similar gushing review.

The twos and threes are mostly critical and informative (and usually more fun to read). Except, of course, the sort that read 'I ordered this but I never got it.' So wait, you didn't get something you ordered but though the best place to raise the issue was in the reviews? And you still gave it two stars.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7 on: 25 September, 2020, 10:28:54 am »
I'm quite generous with ratings and will happily give out a five-star review on the basis that a) star ratings really don't matter, and b) five stars doesn't indicate 'perfection' as some would have it, but anything above the 80th percentile, ie one fifth of everything in its category (assuming an even distribution).

On the restaurant guide I worked on, the rating system would change according to the whim of each new editor. The one immediately before my time gave scores out of 20, with nothing scoring lower than 10, on the basis that this was entry level (ie 'good enough for inclusion in the guide'), and nothing over 16, on the basis that there's always room for improvement. So in truth it was a six-point scale.

The editor during my time had a five-point scale, with 1 representing entry level, and the vast majority of restaurants featured scored 1 or 2. They had to be seriously good to even get a 3. One year, there was only one 5/5 and I don't think there were ever more than half a dozen. Many restaurant proprietors complained about only getting 1/5, but we had to point out that merely being included in the guide automatically put them in the top ~600 (iirc) restaurants in the country. This rarely proved a satisfactory response.

Subjective rating systems are always flawed one way or another.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #8 on: 25 September, 2020, 10:53:57 am »
In the foetid world of reviews, only 5 star and one star really count. Personally I'll only ever write a review if I'm saying "Yes, this is good (possibly for the price)" or "don't buy this piece of crap".  "Yeah, it's ok" is meaningless.

As an example, I recently bought a cheap telescopic ladder from amazon. It seemed ok, but broke within three weeks, reflecting the quality implicit in the price. The amazon return and refund was very easy. I'm not going to review either way.

« Reply #9 on: 25 September, 2020, 10:58:22 am »
Having recently engaged with two different car manufacturers dealers, one Japanese, one German, anything less than absolute perfection in feedback ratings affects the sales persons remuneration. One got 4/5 for "communication", so had to write to the poor customer and ask why it wasn't 5/5, to be told "well, the wifi dropped out whilst I was doing the paperwork" which of course is done on an iPad.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10 on: 25 September, 2020, 11:06:50 am »
Also, other review websites massage their reviews. On Tripadvisor I gave a location a mediocre review just over a year after a previous mediocre review. It wasn't allowed, so I deleted my account and resolved not to pay a lot of attention to Tripadvisor reviews in future...
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #11 on: 25 September, 2020, 12:16:06 pm »
Welcome to the world of NPS.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 25 September, 2020, 12:56:54 pm »
I always ignore the ratings on amazon/tripadvisor anyway and look for substantive comments in the content of the review. 2-3 star reviews are often a lot more useful and informative than 5 star ravings.

This.  "Supplied frob does not fit widget" is worth hundreds of "BEeSt wIdGEt Evah!" or "This widget sucks, do not buy!"

These days, meaningful reviews are more likely to be found somewhere other than on the retailer's website.

The rot set in when ebuyer deleted all those over the top flowery reviews for their £1.99 IEC 'kettle' lead.  No sense of humour.

« Reply #13 on: 25 September, 2020, 01:12:19 pm »
My newsfeed on Facebook seems to have been taken over by (a) kinky stuff from Wish, and (b) adverts for a £20 USB charging cable.  Who in their right mind buys a £20 cable to chagre their phone?  I don't give a shit if it's indestructible.  I've never destroyed one, but I've lost plenty...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 25 September, 2020, 01:22:23 pm »
I suppose people who lose USB cables are almost indistinguishable from people who destroy them, from a selling more USB cables point of view.  Facebook obviously has you down as one, regardless.

I rarely do either; I tend to accumulate them (the wrong flavour, of course).  And occasionally sacrifice them to molish things with.  I've very occasionally bought non-standard ones to fulfil a specific need (eg. extension cables, or with a right-angled plug).

« Reply #15 on: 25 September, 2020, 02:27:51 pm »
My newsfeed on Facebook seems to have been taken over by (a) kinky stuff from Wish, and (b) adverts for a £20 USB charging cable.  Who in their right mind buys a £20 cable to chagre their phone?  I don't give a shit if it's indestructible.  I've never destroyed one, but I've lost plenty...

Weird shit advertised by Wish could be a whole thread on its own...

Cat bath-time face mask - basically a face mask to prevent your cat from biting you when you are giving it a bath  :facepalm:.
Reasons why this might not work:
1. Cats still have claws and are generally happy to beat the shit out of you with both front and back claws. They aren't like birds of prey that suddenly become serenely calm when you cover their eyes.
2. You have to get the hood thing on the cat first. There's an outside chance this might work the first time. Subsequent occasions are unlikely...

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #16 on: 25 September, 2020, 03:01:40 pm »
More than 24 hours into this thread and nobody has mentioned sugar free Gummy Bears or 55 gallon drums of personal lubricant?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #17 on: 25 September, 2020, 03:49:25 pm »
I've never been offered free stuff for leaving reviews anywhere. Maybe I'm buying the wrong stuff on Amazon!  :(

The reviews that annoy me most are those from people who've clearly never actually used whatever it is they're reviewing. Or the answers to questions on the product pages which consist of "sorry I don't know" or "not sure I bought it as a gift". If you can't answer the question usefully, then...don't!

« Reply #18 on: 25 September, 2020, 03:51:08 pm »

Weird shit advertised by Wish could be a whole thread on its own...

Cat bath-time face mask - basically a face mask to prevent your cat from biting you when you are giving it a bath  :facepalm:.
Reasons why this might not work:
1. Cats still have claws and are generally happy to beat the shit out of you with both front and back claws. They aren't like birds of prey that suddenly become serenely calm when you cover their eyes.
2. You have to get the hood thing on the cat first. There's an outside chance this might work the first time. Subsequent occasions are unlikely...

The only Wish adverts I seem to get are for dodgy fake Rapha. Cat face masks sound much more fun! :thumbsup:

ian

« Reply #19 on: 25 September, 2020, 03:53:05 pm »
More than 24 hours into this thread and nobody has mentioned sugar free Gummy Bears or 55 gallon drums of personal lubricant?

Yeah, I ran out of a both and they're not in stock.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20 on: 25 September, 2020, 04:57:29 pm »
Have I sold my soul? Is this ethical?
Only you know whether you've sold your soul. When and where did you last see it? Did the cheque bounce?

As for ethical, I'd say it's honest, because you gave your honest opinion in the review, but it's unethical because you allowed yourself to be enticed by promises into giving an opinion you wouldn't otherwise have offered. To what extent does that matter? Probably less than your desire for more stuffs!

But assuming they sent you Gummy Bear flavoured lubricant, well worth it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.