Author Topic: Rugby World Cup 2015  (Read 28464 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Rugby World Cup 2015
« Reply #25 on: 18 September, 2015, 10:35:03 pm »
What happens if the losing side scores 4 tries and loses by a margin smaller than 7 points? Do they get 2 points?

That'll be Scotland.  Sort of thing they do.
Yes. I would assume they'd get two points.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #26 on: 19 September, 2015, 12:40:34 am »
This bonus points mallarkey is new to me. I have just read a piece by Clive Woodward explaining the situation, up to a point (ha!). 4 tries gets you a bonus point, as does losing by 7 points or fewer. What happens if the losing side scores 4 tries and loses by a margin smaller than 7 points? Do they get 2 points?

They get two bonus points!

After watching the RWC opening Ceremony - Old Brooke comes across as a bit of a tit, Brown and East a couple of speccy swats and no sign of Flashman at all.

And as for that Webb-Ellis - "a fine disregard for the rules" -he obviously was really a kiwi!.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #27 on: 19 September, 2015, 09:50:22 am »
This bonus points mallarkey is new to me.

It was new to Billie Vunipola as well.  Apparently he had no idea his try was worth an extra point.

I thought the super-slo-mo of the disallowed Fiji Try was amazing.  Watching Mike Brown's last-ditch grab, that just dislodged the ball, showed what an incredible all-round asset he is.

There are some seriously big feckers in the game now aren't there?  The Fiji #11 was bloody enormous.  What's more they are huge without the Beer guts of old.  Not so sure I fancy getting hit by 19 stone travelling only slightly slower than Usain Bolt.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #28 on: 19 September, 2015, 10:06:16 am »
This bonus points mallarkey is new to me.

It was new to Billie Vunipola as well.  Apparently he had no idea his try was worth an extra point.
If that is so, then that's shamefully poor team preparation.

I thought the super-slo-mo of the disallowed Fiji Try was amazing.  Watching Mike Brown's last-ditch grab, that just dislodged the ball, showed what an incredible all-round asset he is.

There are some seriously big feckers in the game now aren't there?  The Fiji #11 was bloody enormous.  What's more they are huge without the Beer guts of old.  Not so sure I fancy getting hit by 19 stone travelling only slightly slower than Usain Bolt.

I'm pretty sure we have discussed this at some length. The combined increase in size and speed of the modern players, as well as the greater number of international matches, will lead to many careers cut short by injury and some seriously crocked middle-aged men when they retire.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #29 on: 19 September, 2015, 11:26:01 am »
I'm pretty sure we have discussed this at some length. The combined increase in size and speed of the modern players, as well as the greater number of international matches, will lead to many careers cut short by injury and some seriously crocked middle-aged men when they retire.

My nephew is something of an up and coming star in the junior game, in the development squad of a very well-known team. At 14, he's around 6'5" and 14 stone and a sub-55 second 400m runner. Thanks to a big tackle last season, he already has back problems that will probably come back to haunt him later, especially if he progresses to the first-class senior game. The size of the players even at his level is astonishing, and the aggressiveness and physicality of play is unrecognisable to someone of my generation who played wing forward (flanker) in reasonably decent-standard adult rugby in the 70s at 5'9" and 11 stone!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #30 on: 19 September, 2015, 06:40:57 pm »
I have a feeling that Japan will regret that latest decision.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #31 on: 19 September, 2015, 06:44:33 pm »
How wrong I am!  :D Well, bloody hell!

TimC

« Reply #32 on: 19 September, 2015, 07:00:48 pm »
That was a stunning match from Japan. Very well done them!

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #33 on: 19 September, 2015, 07:05:31 pm »
Totally brilliant match!

I wonder if Japan's endurance will be sufficient to take them through the whole tournament. Although RSA lost - they ought to be consistently tough to the end of this.

Wonderful win for Japan. Yay!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #34 on: 19 September, 2015, 07:17:47 pm »
We have Japan v USA tickets. Thought it might be a dead rubber!

they are only the fourth different side to beat South Africa at the Rugby World Cup. The others are New Zealand, Australia, England.
It is simpler than it looks.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #35 on: 19 September, 2015, 07:30:13 pm »
What happens if the losing side scores 4 tries and loses by a margin smaller than 7 points? Do they get 2 points?

And it has happened already.  Japan 4 points.  S.A. 2 points.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #36 on: 19 September, 2015, 08:54:15 pm »
Guess who made a huuuuggggeeee mistake? I didn't want to watch Japan being trashed, so I didn't watch the match.  :facepalm:

Now I need to find a video replay.

Let's hope they can keep it up. They've lost one advantage, though: they're not going to be underestimated by any more opponents.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #37 on: 20 September, 2015, 12:05:19 am »
I have just been looking at the World Rankings. For Japan (13) to beat S. Africa (3) is very remarkable. I was wondering where Romania was, and they are 17th. I remember then beating Wales once, about 30 years ago.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #38 on: 20 September, 2015, 12:31:47 am »
The Japan win has helped Wales though.

They have dropped down a place to to third, fifth and sixth in the Top 6 World Cup shocks.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #39 on: 20 September, 2015, 08:21:39 am »
What a great game to set the World cup alight - and for Japan to finish on an excellent try.  Be interesting to see how Scotland cope.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #40 on: 20 September, 2015, 10:16:46 am »
I can find nothing about the French player's injury.  It looked very bad, though I couldn't work out from the video replay how ithad happened.  Surprised to see them letting him hobble off without a stretcher, though.

« Reply #41 on: 20 September, 2015, 11:47:21 am »
Someone in Coventry put £100 on Japan to win. Happy punter!  ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Psychler

« Reply #42 on: 20 September, 2015, 02:00:33 pm »
I can find nothing about the French player's injury.  It looked very bad, though I couldn't work out from the video replay how ithad happened.  Surprised to see them letting him hobble off without a stretcher, though.

Not that I ever like to see anyone get injured but there's a certain karma about Yoann Huget injury, on the grounds that the man shouldn't be at the World Cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK9n2tjvxB8

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #43 on: 20 September, 2015, 03:16:38 pm »
That was horrible. Which match was that?

Psychler

« Reply #44 on: 20 September, 2015, 03:34:02 pm »
That was horrible. Which match was that?

Toulouse vs Bordeaux Begles back in May.  As far as I know he wasn't cited and received no punishment.

His world cup is over, he has a cruciate ligament injury.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #45 on: 20 September, 2015, 07:07:52 pm »
I've never been a glory-hunting NZ fan-boi,  but:

Matching boots: class above the rest. Hard to bellieve no other nation does this*

*cue YACF floodgates :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #46 on: 20 September, 2015, 07:24:40 pm »
I agree, style is important.  Shame they didn't just have plain black earguards and thigh bands.  The Welsh (whose kit has suffered badly over recent years) got it wrong again.  One of the many colours you can't put with maroon is scarlet.  Argentina cool as ever.  But most kits (not NZ, obviously,) stop at the ankles, where the sponsored boots completely spoil other good intentions.  It's fine on the radio, of course.

TimC

« Reply #47 on: 20 September, 2015, 07:59:19 pm »
I've never been a glory-hunting NZ fan-boi,  but:

Matching boots: class above the rest. Hard to bellieve no other nation does this*

*cue YACF floodgates :P

It's the cyclist in you, Matt! If the Velominati did Rugby, NZ would be the style icons.

Back to the rugby, some great stuff from Argentina against NZ. Wales were unconvincing, I thought. I enjoyed Samoa v USA (especially USA's try), but they'll both struggle in this company.

Psychler

« Reply #48 on: 20 September, 2015, 09:25:09 pm »
Looks like the Welsh injury crisis is getting worse after this afternoon's poor performance.

Centre Cory Allen is out of the tournament after "a significant hamstring injury" leaving Wales with only two centres, one of who is Jamie Roberts who may not be fully fit.

At the moment there are only two fit props - Gethin Jenkins and Tomas Francis.  The other three have fairly minor injuries but if at least two of these are not fit for the next match then Gatland will have to make replacements to his tournament squad.  He needs to name four props in his match day squad.

Liam Williams is also a concern - off today with a dead leg.

The Welsh physios are going to be very busy this week!

Psychler

« Reply #49 on: 20 September, 2015, 11:11:16 pm »
Because it's the best rugby stadium in the world and its inclusion was a cornerstone of the English bid.  The WRU agreed to its use provided the English organisers agreed to Wales playing all their pool games in Cardiff - this would have brought big revenue To benefit everyone.  Then England,Wales and Australia got drawn in the same pool and suddenly Wales weren't allowed to play their major pool games in Cardiff any more.  It revealed a lack of integrity, cowardice and the familiar arrogance on the part of the English organisers. 

Hopefully karma will prevail.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/rugby-world-cup/11878660/Rugby-World-Cup-2015-The-Millennium-Stadium-is-a-glorious-stage-but-Welsh-home-advantage-is-unfair.html