Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2192426 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #18125 on: 17 August, 2023, 03:33:52 pm »
Fortunately Wickes has a ready supply of Spax screws in small boxes as well as packs of 200 which is about 160 more than I'm likely to need for the rest of my life.

Screwdriver bits: I need to wreck all the ones I've got already: Bosch, Stanley, Draper, Black & Decker, someone else and the one I found in Mr Sainsbury’s car park the other week.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #18126 on: 17 August, 2023, 06:46:19 pm »
Replaced the screws holding the hinges to the front door frame as those installed up until just now were installed about 25 years ago by a ham-fisted dolt.  Does anyone make:

1: screws and
c) Pozidrive screwdriver bits

out of something other than cheese?

- Spax
- Wera

(I understand some may prefer Reisser and/or Wiha respectively, which I am sure would be valid alternatives. You may spot a Teutonic theme...)

These are indeed the most important words to employ when needing to fix something with screws.  I have a substantial shelf full of Spax Torx head screws from 3x12mm, up to 6x120mm.  Wera screwdrivers and bits are also present.
Wombat

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18127 on: 17 August, 2023, 07:12:08 pm »
Waht's wrong with Robertson, eh?

« Reply #18128 on: 17 August, 2023, 08:06:08 pm »
Don't be such a square

« Reply #18129 on: 17 August, 2023, 08:07:22 pm »
Badoom! Tish!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18130 on: 18 August, 2023, 07:28:26 am »
Screwdriver bits: I need to wreck all the ones I've got already: Bosch, Stanley, Draper, Black & Decker, someone else and the one I found in Mr Sainsbury’s car park the other week.

So get an impact driver.  I managed to wreck most of the ones that fitted the screws I bought for last year's barn door build before I found out that they take special bits.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #18131 on: 18 August, 2023, 07:51:48 am »
Replaced the screws holding the hinges to the front door frame as those installed up until just now were installed about 25 years ago by a ham-fisted dolt.  Does anyone make:

1: screws and
c) Pozidrive screwdriver bits

out of something other than cheese?

- Spax
- Wera

(I understand some may prefer Reisser and/or Wiha respectively, which I am sure would be valid alternatives. You may spot a Teutonic theme...)

These are indeed the most important words to employ when needing to fix something with screws.  I have a substantial shelf full of Spax Torx head screws from 3x12mm, up to 6x120mm.  Wera screwdrivers and bits are also present.

I noticed that a lot of the screws that Screwfix now sell are Torx head . . . that seems like a positive drive forward to me.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18132 on: 18 August, 2023, 08:10:45 am »
MrsT's new iPhone wouldn't receive messages or make or take calls. Took the SIM out - needed some effort above and beyond - and put it in again the right way up.  Lucky there was a bit of play in the drawer.

« Reply #18133 on: 18 August, 2023, 08:41:17 am »
MrsT's new iPhone wouldn't receive messages or make or take calls. Took the SIM out - needed some effort above and beyond - and put it in again the right way up.  Lucky there was a bit of play in the drawer.

Given there's the cut corner to prevent that, she's earned a proxy "div" nomination for that!.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18134 on: 18 August, 2023, 08:48:00 am »

Given there's the cut corner to prevent that, she's earned a proxy "div" nomination for that!.

She's long-sighted and her specs don't hack tiny stuff.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #18135 on: 18 August, 2023, 03:17:58 pm »
Cut up old front door to use bits to reinforce door of Sheds that faces the street.  During up-cutting old front door falls to bits.  Heavier chunk lands squarely on Mr Larrington's bare foot, taking a chunk out of his wrist on the way down.  Hatsh words are uttered but at least one can no longer see daylight through that particular door :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18136 on: 18 August, 2023, 03:19:42 pm »
I'm fairly sure doing woodjbex in bare feet Australian Safety Boots qualifies you for the div thread, unless you can prove Australian citizenship.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18137 on: 18 August, 2023, 03:42:35 pm »
Cut up old front door to use bits to reinforce door of Sheds that faces the street.  During up-cutting old front door falls to bits.  Heavier chunk lands squarely on Mr Larrington's bare foot, taking a chunk out of his wrist on the way down.  Hatsh words are uttered but at least one can no longer see daylight through that particular door :thumbsup:

Good effort. Two more and a poke in the ribs and you could have a set of stigmata.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #18138 on: 18 August, 2023, 03:43:18 pm »
I was wearing flip-flops.  Unfortunately the descending timber landed on a part of my foot not covered by the strap chiz.  Matches nicely the substantial cut left by a gravity-propelled screwdriver the other day.  Frantic DIY is, however, the order of the fortnight coz I'm off to ABROAD where the FOREIGNS come from next Thursday and want to get it done before I go.

Australians drive road trains while wearing flip-flops.  This is impossible for normal people.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18139 on: 18 August, 2023, 03:56:18 pm »
I was wearing flip-flops.

Post edited accordingly.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #18140 on: 18 August, 2023, 04:02:33 pm »
I was wearing flip-flops.

Post edited accordingly.

(Scrolls up; roffles)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18141 on: 18 August, 2023, 05:04:37 pm »
Don't Australians call them thongs? In which case they might be yellowed...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #18142 on: 18 August, 2023, 05:09:29 pm »
Don't Australians call them thongs? In which case they might be yellowed...

Good God that was a long time ago with Hummers and the thong - it must go back to the C+ Forum!

BTW . . . New Zealanders have a variation on flip-flops  "Samoan Safety Boots"

« Reply #18143 on: 18 August, 2023, 09:11:42 pm »
I'm fairly sure doing woodjbex in bare feet Australian Safety Boots qualifies you for the div thread, unless you can prove Australian citizenship.
I managed to get a previous employer banned from working on any Network Fail premises on account of two of my (Australian) fitters conducting a survey at Ealing Broadway station whilst wearing flip-flops.

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #18144 on: 19 August, 2023, 10:03:49 pm »
More garden fence and posts, concrete for the bolting of the wood bits to. People who concrete wooden posts into the soil should concrete themselves into the soil  >:(

« Reply #18145 on: 20 August, 2023, 07:38:18 am »
We have an old ikea garden set which the wife's been repainting over the summer, there is a slated storage box which was in fair disrepair and then one of the kids stood on it

Yesterday salvaged some wood from a pallet and repaired and reinforced the top so can also be painted. Particularly pleased as has a nylon dowel type thing in each corner to stop the lid sliding off and had to fit these back into the wood I had added

Now I can be a measure twice and still cut it wrong type guy although getting better and more patient. The holes I drilled matched perfectly.

Also fixed a disc brake which had collected a twig and jammed up on cycle yesterday evening

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18146 on: 20 August, 2023, 08:17:40 am »
Also fixed a disc brake which had collected a twig and jammed up on cycle yesterday evening

Yeah. I had to do a bit of de-twiggery yesterday after a necessary excursion into the forest.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18147 on: 20 August, 2023, 09:58:17 am »
Swapped a rear gear cable and casing on a fellow rider’s bike. He seems happy now.

Snugged up the brake calliper bolts on another's bike.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18148 on: 20 August, 2023, 02:32:42 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #18149 on: 20 August, 2023, 03:05:12 pm »
New cassette and chain on some new to me eBay wheels. Shod with some new eBay Bontrager tyres. New brake pads as well.