Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2192057 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #4200 on: 05 September, 2011, 10:00:33 pm »
The Girl's Young Man has bought himself a KMX trike. It suffered a bit in transit, snapping the three screws that hold the gear hanger on. He's got some money back from the dealer and tonight, using a selection of tools I borrowed from work we managed to fix it.

Drilled out the old ones,  failed to get them out with a stud extractor, bust the M3 tap, drilled out a bit more, tapped to M3.5, fixed with electicral box faceplate screws.  Not a bad job.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4201 on: 05 September, 2011, 10:03:08 pm »
Gave the commuter a bit of a clean and put on a saddle (TeamPro courtesy of Sgt Pluck).  The saddle that had been on the commuter was transferred (and always intended for) the new bike.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4202 on: 07 September, 2011, 03:22:21 pm »
Taped bars

Moved rear brake cable

Fitted beam rack

Happy-ish now
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #4203 on: 07 September, 2011, 03:29:59 pm »
I really should de-grease / oil  my chain. I think my mojo has gone again

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4204 on: 07 September, 2011, 04:13:05 pm »
I put my tourer back into touring mode this afternoon to get used to how it feels before October's tour(and I had a front puncture anyway)

Fitted front and rear racks
Replaced cheese-metal bolts on front rack with stainless ones(eventually)
Put 35mm tyres on

Remembered I'm doing a FNRttC on Friday :facepalm:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #4205 on: 07 September, 2011, 04:16:06 pm »
FRONT and REAR rack on a FNRttC.

You are taking the ***********

:)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4206 on: 07 September, 2011, 04:29:27 pm »

Don't forget full guards as well :)

I'm not sure I'll actually put all 4 panniers on it for the ride - although it is flat and would make a good training run  :demon:

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #4207 on: 07 September, 2011, 04:30:52 pm »
Lol. :)

« Reply #4208 on: 07 September, 2011, 07:37:07 pm »

I had front and rear racks, and mudguards on my bike for last Fridays FNRttC.

I survived. ;D

I just put a Knog Nerd 12 computer on the Kaffenback.  It seems to work OK, even when the Exposure lights are fitted. :thumbsup:

I've cable tied the pickup on, so there's no risk of it shifting, falling off, or being lifted.

I'll probably leave the display fitted, unless I'm leaving the bike somewhere particularly iffy, like outside Sainsburys.

It's backlit, so I'll actually be able to see the display on night rides now. :)
Actually, it is rocket science.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4209 on: 07 September, 2011, 07:48:24 pm »

I'll probably leave the display fitted, unless I'm leaving the bike somewhere particularly iffy, like outside Sainsburys.

Sainsbury's is regarded as rather upmarket round here, must be different in the smoke :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4210 on: 07 September, 2011, 07:51:57 pm »
Everywhere is iffy in Croydon
Getting there...

« Reply #4211 on: 07 September, 2011, 08:00:28 pm »
Installed a Carradice bar bag with klick kluck w/e its called attachment to handlebars, and packing panniers. Using two front panniers on rear rack, plus bar bag plus elastic webbing for waterproof jacket & helmet for when it rains (helmets keeps my hearing aids dry, about the only time I wear one), more than plenty room for 3 days ride starting early Friday morning, aim to finish Edinburgh Sunday lunchtime for a curry or something. Staying in B&B's en route. Front panniers packed already, put inside rear panniers, as friend is borrowing the rears for his stuff. Train booked, cycle reservation made for going up to Newcastle tomorrow.

Frere

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4212 on: 07 September, 2011, 08:06:42 pm »
Removed 1000 miles of crud from the drivetrain of the Streetmachine.  Fiddled about with the gears and got them indexing properly, though I'm not 100% sure the shifter isn't slightly damaged - it feels stiff at the bottom end of the range.  Might just be crud in the cable, though (I don't have the foresight to carry condoms to keep my USS bar-end shifters dry in poor weather).  Gave the brakes a tweak.  Decided I couldn't be arsed trying to eliminate the seat squeak - the weather's only going to get cold and set it off again.

Should be okay for a couple of 100k rides this weekend.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #4213 on: 08 September, 2011, 01:36:06 pm »
Removed the quick release device for the Barley from my seatpost because the Barley was mouted too high and the buckles stuck into my bottom.  Also took he opportunity to raise the saddle slightly. Maybe too high now, I wiil see.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #4214 on: 08 September, 2011, 01:50:08 pm »

Have also done 3 weeks worth of washing, needed to, I was running out of grots.

Week 1 normal
Week 2 back to front
Week 3 inside out
Week 4 inside out, back to front
Week 5 errr, how do you work a washing machine ?

Week 5 - Go commando until White Goods Technical Expert returns from foraging. ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #4215 on: 08 September, 2011, 01:57:23 pm »
... mounted too high and the buckles stuck into my bottom ...
Methinks you're on the wrong website. :P
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4216 on: 08 September, 2011, 06:50:59 pm »
The hedge.  Again.  Bloody thing keeps growing back.  Damn inconvenient, if you ask me.

The whole process was made significantly less painful by my investment in a stiff-bristled broom from Aldi, which barakta notes, and I quote: "has a basher!"

Then I got hedge clippings all over the floor when I removed my sandals.  Fail.   :facepalm:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4217 on: 08 September, 2011, 08:44:21 pm »
I stopped my fixed from having a stub axle by replacing the cheese nut with crappy threads on the non-drive side with a new nut from Re:Cycling.  That nut cost £3, but it meant I got home easier.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4218 on: 08 September, 2011, 08:44:52 pm »
Still need to raise the saddle slightly.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4219 on: 08 September, 2011, 10:53:07 pm »
Still not entirely convinced my re-bolted seat post clamp is holding, but it could just be that my legs are growing. Or at least stretching. Or maybe it's just down to different shoes.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4220 on: 09 September, 2011, 08:24:44 am »
Raised the saddle on my fixed en route this morning.  Feels better.  I'm not sure if it's been slipping.
Getting there...

« Reply #4221 on: 09 September, 2011, 11:19:19 am »
Performed my first ever successful gear fettle!   :smug:

Been having some issues with slippage and unevenness in the gear changes, esp round 4th (ok going down 5-4, but not so much going up 3-4), so I had a look online at just exactly what it was I was meant to do and went out and had a look...my little yellow lines were in fact not lined up properly, so I lined them back up again!  I *think* I found a new 1st gear in the process, though that could just be that I was on the flat where I don't tend to use it!   ;D

I'm expecting them to be a little funky as they bed in, but this feels better 

I also changed the angle of my saddle as I keep slipping off to the front!  Hoping that I now don't slip off to the back instead  ;)

« Reply #4222 on: 10 September, 2011, 11:20:25 am »
I've had to carry out an emergency fettle on my back fence. A 12 foot length of it is falling over into the street at the side of my garden because a post has snapped at ground level. I got worried about the angle it is now leaning and the high winds we are expecting. I've had to prop it up with posts at an angle on the pavement behind it, which is not ideal but if I don;t it will be down soon and I am working nights this weekend so unable to do a proper repair until Monday at the earliest. I've put a car red warning triangle at the foot of my props in the hope that this will prevent someone trying to sue me if they walk into them. Not much more I can do  :-\

border-rider

« Reply #4223 on: 10 September, 2011, 09:08:48 pm »
Swapped the front wheels over on the tractor to increase its stability, and mastered the complexities of 3-point mountings and power couplings so I could take off the grass topper, move the box thing into the barn and reattach the topper :)

I learned that the jack & wheelbrace from a 2005 Toyota were useless for this, but the ones from an Audi A4 were ideal.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #4224 on: 10 September, 2011, 09:14:09 pm »
Fettled mucky pea gravel out of fish tank and replaced with tesco's play sand seeing as I'm looking to add cat fish in the tank soon.