Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2192283 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #6550 on: 30 October, 2012, 12:16:02 pm »
Oh - and I've just sorted out a load of various bits which were colonising the side in the kitchen.  Some have been sorted into appropriate boxes.  Others haven't.  There is a space on the side. :thumbsup:

I'm just not sure where the kitchen table is now :-[
Getting there...

« Reply #6551 on: 30 October, 2012, 03:58:30 pm »
Finally I have got around to fettlin' the SON28, IQ Fly, and Seculite onto the Pompino.  :thumbsup: I now await some darkness for a proper test ride (it all works indoors but does it point to a sweet spot on the road?  ???)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #6552 on: 30 October, 2012, 05:33:56 pm »
Fsh tank fettling 101:

Before:

After:

More playsand substrate to make up for the extra space in the tank now the internal filter has been replaced with an external...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #6553 on: 30 October, 2012, 07:26:04 pm »
After the Dusk 'til Dawn my freewheel was less willing to freewheel, stripped it down, flushed out the gunk and it's as good as new.

« Reply #6554 on: 30 October, 2012, 07:37:50 pm »
Finally I have got around to fettlin' the SON28, IQ Fly, and Seculite onto the Pompino.  :thumbsup: I now await some darkness for a proper test ride (it all works indoors but does it point to a sweet spot on the road?  ???)
'Twerks!  ;D

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6555 on: 30 October, 2012, 10:42:39 pm »
Project RatBike is done!

Took advantage of Mrs. Hall being away and dragged workstand, bike and misc tools into the kitchen, wot is warm.

Fitted brakes (well done APC, Spa Cycles carrier of choice, for having the smarts to leave them with a neighbour when I was out), fettled brake cables to length. Fitted black mudguards, black bar tape, black seat post, rear light (red), old bar bag (black) and front light.

It works.

I may ride it to work tomorrow.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #6556 on: 31 October, 2012, 04:43:52 pm »
Read Graeme Obree's training book, where he says "standardise all bikes".

Yesterday tried fitting a secondhand chainring to my commuting / turbo bike. No chance, nothing budged at all, except lots of skin off my hands. Even used proper tools for the job (most unusual for me)

Today tried changing more ebay sourced chainset and chainrings on road racing bike. Lovely jubbly. Everything greased and back together in no time.

The main reason for the discrepancy maybe that the latter bike lives in my bedroom, the former lives in the garden.

« Reply #6557 on: 31 October, 2012, 05:42:52 pm »

Yesterday tried fitting a secondhand chainring to my commuting / turbo bike. No chance, nothing budged at all, except lots of skin off my hands. Even used proper tools for the job (most unusual for me)

Today tried changing more ebay sourced chainset and chainrings on road racing bike. Lovely jubbly. Everything greased and back together in no time.

The main reason for the discrepancy maybe that the latter bike lives in my bedroom, the former lives in the garden.

Are you creating yourself an Obree standardised den of pain to train in?  ;D
I haven't yet worked up to destroying my TT by removing its controls and fan or purchased a rear wheel computer to measure my suffering.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6558 on: 31 October, 2012, 10:16:20 pm »

HOW MANY WASHING MACHINES MUST DIE???!???!!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6559 on: 01 November, 2012, 08:25:02 pm »
Got various bits which I needed for jobs on the Romany, so now I have a new computer, barbag fixing and a Cyo fitted.  All working very well :)
Getting there...

« Reply #6560 on: 01 November, 2012, 08:29:41 pm »
cyo fitted to LHT, and a slightly longer stem.  Quick trip round the village and it feels I feel much better  :)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6561 on: 01 November, 2012, 09:07:35 pm »
Fitted a disc rotor to the newly acquired front wheel for the green Genesis. Also adjusted the front caliper so that the front brake actually works when I pull the lever rather than all the time. Just need the remaining bits1 to turn up so I can finish the job.

1 - saddle, bash guard, freewheel, pedals and, finally, after much thought, tyres.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6562 on: 01 November, 2012, 09:14:17 pm »
Swapped stem on Butterfly's Galaxy for a slightly shorter one.
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6563 on: 01 November, 2012, 10:09:18 pm »
Swapped stem on Butterfly's Galaxy for a slightly shorter one.

You and Mike swapping stems?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #6564 on: 02 November, 2012, 10:48:20 am »
Pre-Whitby ride fettling:

I should probably do more pressing things, such as fettling gears. ::-)

« Reply #6565 on: 02 November, 2012, 05:39:09 pm »
Taking Tim's cue, moved the new MTB into the lounge room to fettle the pedals. Bloke's away in Gatwick so he's not here to whinge about a bike in the lounge. :D

« Reply #6566 on: 02 November, 2012, 05:56:03 pm »
Not quite today.

Went to a friend's house with assorted tools to see if the symptoms one of his bikes is suffering are, as I thought, a dead (or near as dammit) bottom bracket.

Oh yes. So, cranks off nice & easy - & then realise I don't have the right BB tool with me.  :facepalm: It's a 1980s Raleigh MTB, with an old-style lockring with slots in. I have the tools - but they were in my toolbox at home.

Ah well, it'll probably need some penetrating oil to loosen it up first. We'll have a go at it when he's given it a soaking. No hurry, since he'll need a new BB. We've established what he needs, so he can buy that while he's waiting.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6567 on: 02 November, 2012, 07:15:27 pm »
More green Genesis fettling, thanks to two of my On-One orders arriving today.

The chainset now has the bash-guard fitted, and now that I've found my chainring bolt tool after turning the house upside-down (almost literally ...) I can tighten the chainring bolts up. Also fitted the tyres - On-One Smorgasbord 2.25 up front, Geax Saguaro 2.2 at the back; good for 'good to soft' going, I can swap the tyres round if it looks like it's going to be a particularly manky ride.

Not particularly lightweight as singlespeeds go, but its built for endurance rather than speed - even with the saddle fitted (B17 Standard, natch) it should come in sub-24lbs.

Not much left to do now: saddle (waiting for me at LBS), grips (on back-order) and freewheel (also on back-order)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #6568 on: 03 November, 2012, 11:46:39 am »
I've just re-attached an Alpkit headtorch to my magic hat in readiness for some after-dark riding.I don't often wear a mag-hat but they are useful for attaching a light to in the hope of diminishing a SMIDSY & my risk aversion is also diminished in winter time when wearing a mag-hat seems more pertinent.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6569 on: 03 November, 2012, 12:10:18 pm »
This:

Will shortly be heading off to the LBS to pick up the saddle and whatever remaining bits have arrived. If the freewheel has turned up then there's a strong possibility of a quick run round the block later on1 :)

1 - maybe a bit further if the grips have arrived. Not holding out much hope though, as the disties were apparently shut for stocktaking on Thursday and Friday ... and the order was placed on Thursday  ::-)

« Reply #6570 on: 03 November, 2012, 06:33:04 pm »
Fitted a new rear tyre. Hutchinson Fusion 3 as the LBS didn't have the recommended Durano Plus in stock.

Then took it off again as pumping up resulted in hissssssss, thought it might be a pinch flat as I did have a bunch of tubes herniating all over the place when easing the bead over the rim (I'm used to rigid rather than folding tyres). Further inspection revealed the new hole being dead centre of an old patch so don't think it was a pinch.

Hole was on the interior of the tube though which indicates sometihng up with the rim/rim tape. Couldn't feel or see anything so will have to see what happens.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #6571 on: 03 November, 2012, 06:40:12 pm »
I have stopped myself from fettling some new brake lever hoods (as delivered from SJS cycles today) onto the VN replacement as I think this could compromise my chances of riding down to Brighton tomorrow with the veteran cars.

It involves a lot of arseing about including removal of bar tape and all cables (which I have only just fitted). ::-)
Meh!

If it is peeing down tomorrow, then that's what I'll be doing.
And making pea and ham soup.  :D

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #6572 on: 03 November, 2012, 10:39:33 pm »
major fettle for minor annoyance

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6573 on: 04 November, 2012, 01:51:51 pm »
Fettled front derailleur so I have the use of 3 gears instead of 1 hopefully. For how long, I dunno.
Replaced rear cable outer before it disintegrated - had to use a hammer anna screwdriver to get the end out of the cable stop.
Put winter tyres on. Adjusted front brake to fit fat tyres.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6574 on: 04 November, 2012, 01:55:06 pm »
major fettle for minor annoyance
Bloody hellfire .... EPIC win!  :thumbsup: