Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2179327 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #4150 on: 16 August, 2011, 11:10:51 pm »
Cassette and chain, gear cables, brake cable, one tyre, bar tape. Another tyre and front blocks to do tonight - and adjust a pedal.

Two pedals. SPDs. God, they're fiddlesome things. All finished and ready to wheel on to the ferry on Thursday.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #4151 on: 16 August, 2011, 11:53:13 pm »
About to oil the chain on the fixie and adjust the brakes to stop squealing.

Arse brakes still squeal but less than before.  Oh and adjusted the brookes saddle this time adding tension and not undoing it.  Yes I'm that bright.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4152 on: 17 August, 2011, 12:48:37 am »
Arse brakes still squeal but less than before.

Those'll be the ones discussed on a FNRttC a few months back that allow single-brake BMX bikes to be road-legal, where the rider overhangs the saddle and lowers themselves onto the rear wheel to apply braking force?  I can imagine squealing would be a common side effect...   ;D

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4153 on: 19 August, 2011, 08:45:46 pm »
Dismantled, cleaned and remantled the (t)rusty old Deore XT mech on Dave (10 years, 19,000 miles).  It's being slow at pulling the chain tight and buggering shifting as a result, and as suspected the pivot bolt spring chamber was full of granular rusty gack.  Strip, clean, grease, reassemble and (inpasta*) that'll be good for a couple more years.

* Like inshallah, without angry desert wights, and with meatballs. :smug:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4154 on: 19 August, 2011, 11:11:02 pm »
Fitted my new wheels and took the rear rack off of my Vantage, ready to test everything tomorrow.

Also fitted a new cassette and chain :D SPARKLY :D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #4155 on: 19 August, 2011, 11:17:09 pm »
A new BB for the  Van Nic courtesy of the inimitable Paul Smith of Corridori Cycles today.

TBF, Paul fitted the new BB and then went to make The Tea while I faffed with re-fitting the old chainset (Is this tight enough, Paul? ;))

Gentlemanly service from that esteemed establishment, as usual  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4156 on: 20 August, 2011, 07:53:07 pm »
Indexing..... again. It seems chain wheels are a tad bent. Tried the turn em through 180 deg trick but no joy. This bike has a few hundred miles on it if that as I have mainly been using my touring bike. Ho hum.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4157 on: 20 August, 2011, 09:33:35 pm »
Fitted butterfly bars to my hybrid, moving the shifters, bell and computer across from the flat bar they were on and wrapped the bar with tape (after working out how that could work).

Also re-trued both wheels and re-oiled chain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4158 on: 21 August, 2011, 01:21:41 am »
Yesterday, but replaced the 45A double-pole isolator switch on my friend's shower.  The pingfuckit responsible for the latching operation of the pull-cord wossname had broken, which is bad news after a hot >100k ride to get there.

Being somewhat covered in road grime, squished insects and so on, my natural response was to sigh and ask for a screwdriver.  Various options were presented, including sonic - though that was sadly unable to rectify the fault - so I soon had the switch off with a conventional one and important springy bits flying across the room.  I deemed the cause of failure to be snappy plastic death.

All things being equal (and bearing Kim's First Law Of Adhesives in mind), jumping back on the bike to the nearest DIY emporium for a new switch seemed like the sanest option at that point.  The guy on the till was amused by a sweaty cyclist buying what was obviously the component that stood between them and a shower.

Bit of screwdriver-twiddling and job's a good'un.  Part P allows for like-for-like replacement.  Especially when you're starting to smell like a dead badger.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4159 on: 21 August, 2011, 09:22:30 am »
New boa things and ratchet straps on my Sidis.

Yesterday I started the build of N+1, which will end up being, on aggregate N-1.

Now going to sort through the garage for stuffs to sell :( I have far too much stuff (and bikes) so need to clear some space.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #4160 on: 23 August, 2011, 12:59:22 pm »
New crankset and front mech fitted to the InBred

New cleats on my boots (in time for autumn/winter)

Still waiting for other bits to be delivered.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4161 on: 23 August, 2011, 01:55:22 pm »
Not done yet, but tonight I will be fettling the chain on the vantage after making it too short when I put it on this weekend.

I accidentally put it in big-big this morning and it's all seized up :facepalm:

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #4162 on: 23 August, 2011, 02:53:04 pm »
Bonty race lite hard case tyres to replace the bonty race x lite hard case tyres which were looking rather badly bit cut up, especially a couple of big cuts to the sidewall....  No P. though, still better safe than sorry!

« Reply #4163 on: 23 August, 2011, 03:53:35 pm »
Removed a rather inflexible leather mudflap & replaced it with an elbow patch! Glued it on & it stayed on on a short ride. An inch shorter, but it'll stop the mudguard getting knocked out of its stays every time I go up/down a kerb. Minor fettling, but it'll stop numerous stops to reseat the mudguard stays!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #4164 on: 24 August, 2011, 09:53:28 am »
... Part P allows for like-for-like replacement.  Especially when you're starting to smell like a dead badger.

... and especially when it would be impossible to tell that you'd replaced it anyway!

I've just fettled a new inner tube onto the front wheel of the Kaffenback, which has a very slow leak, which is going to take some time with a sink to spot where the hole is. :-\

I've got a backlog of tyres which need repairing.  I must sit down and do them.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #4165 on: 24 August, 2011, 10:14:14 am »
I've just fettled a new inner tube onto the front wheel of the Kaffenback, which has a very slow leak, which is going to take some time with a sink to spot where the hole is. :-\

... and I'm about to do it again, the tyre just *banged* off, and took the inner tube out.  An 8" hole is probably irreparable isn't it? ;D

Damn, I'm going to have to use a "possibly OK" inner tube.

« Reply #4166 on: 24 August, 2011, 05:01:18 pm »

... and I'm about to do it again, the tyre just *banged* off, and took the inner tube out.  An 8" hole is probably irreparable isn't it? ;D

Did you find what made the hole? Is Croydon noted for particularly alarming thorns?

tiermat

« Reply #4167 on: 24 August, 2011, 05:23:59 pm »
Avid BB7 Roads to the InBred.

Just need cables and cassette to arrive now then I can finish it off :)

« Reply #4168 on: 24 August, 2011, 05:29:00 pm »

Did you find what made the hole? Is Croydon noted for particularly alarming thorns?

The hole was made by the tyre coming off the rim, and releasing 100psi of pressure in an inner tube, that couldn't hold that pressure by itself.  That was an oldish tyre, and on inspection I decided to replace it with another old, but not as heavily used tyre.

I don't know what made the original hole, but it was a very slow leak, and I checked the tyre for anything.  I removed a couple of possible bits of glass, but none of them was clearly and obviously the cause of the puncture.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4169 on: 24 August, 2011, 06:47:16 pm »
Fettled Topeak tri-bag into the waterproof version of same using strategic layers of gaffer tape.  My tris will now stay dry, or something.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4170 on: 24 August, 2011, 06:55:36 pm »
Put the spoke reflectamajigs onto the two Genesii today - I don't think the ends of my thumbs will ever be the same again.

To elaborate: the reflectors sat securely on the spokes on OrangeGina's Shimano factory wheels. No problems there - however, the spokes on Custard's stock wheels are a bit narrower, so whilst the reflectors would start a ride near the hub, as I intended, they'd work their way outwards over the course of the ride. The fix: a bit of insulating tape round the spoke where I want the reflectors to sit - they sit there all right, but I practically skinned my thumbs to get the bloody things on.

Now the cabbies have something else to aim at.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4171 on: 24 August, 2011, 09:28:31 pm »
We have twice applied the C spanner to the S and S couplings in order to take the tandem on a south west train.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4172 on: 24 August, 2011, 10:05:08 pm »
Some people, predominantly yoof, did scatter a bit of glass about a couple of weeks ago. A shard or two (hundred thousand, or perhaps million) remain on the roads.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

tiermat

« Reply #4173 on: 26 August, 2011, 10:12:18 am »
fitted 3 out of 4 cables, now just waiting the cassette and I can fit the fourth...

AndyK

« Reply #4174 on: 26 August, 2011, 10:16:37 am »
Stripped out and replaced the rear suspension bushes on the Moulton in the kitchen. Who needs a vice to press-fit bushes when you've got a long nut and bolt and some oversized washers?  ;)