Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2179462 times)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #7650 on: 10 May, 2013, 09:51:20 pm »
Emergency new rear gear cable on the Tricross. It had managed to fray - nae, explode - inside the shifter, which obviously was delightful.

Cue stressing that it was the shifter that was screwed, much wrestling to get the dead cable out of the shifter, an emergency drive to Go Outdoors, etc.  :facepalm:

Still, all sorted now. Phew.

« Reply #7651 on: 10 May, 2013, 11:01:23 pm »
Got the Tifosi out of the shed, where it's been lying neglected since I last rode it (in, er, March :-[). The chain is all rusty and stiff. I'm not sure tomorrow's audax is going to be much fun...

...and now I've lubed the chain. It'll have to do. ::-)

« Reply #7652 on: 11 May, 2013, 12:04:32 am »
Cycling home today, I was flagged down by someone pushing their MTB near Lancaster gate, he asked if he could borrow my pump, which I produced, only to discover that the adapter bit that converted it from Presta to Schraeder was jammed together, and we couldn't reassemble it in schraeder mode. I do hope he found someone with a pump and got home ok. He said he had 10km to get home with a flat front...

« Reply #7653 on: 11 May, 2013, 08:11:37 am »
He'll get his own pump now then.............. s'all a learning curve.

« Reply #7654 on: 11 May, 2013, 01:10:01 pm »
Replaced the bar tape on the Genesis Flyer.  This was my first ever attempt at bar taping and the badminton racquet handles that I am used to retaping don't go round corners or have sticky-out bits on them.  It looks and feels OK but only time will tell...

Took the snow tyres off the backup MTB as I reckon we are safe for a couple of months.  Discovered that the front axle has snapped  >:(

Can't bring myself to buy a replacement axle for more than 50% of the price of a new hub, skewer etc so fortunately managed to spot some slight pitting on the bearing cups.  Have now ordered a new hub and am mentally preparing myself for a teach-yourself-hub-transplants session.

« Reply #7655 on: 11 May, 2013, 11:21:27 pm »
Removed old DT-shifters and brakes from tourer, spent ages getting dried tape gum off the handlebars, and installed STI shifters and new Bont. cork bar tape.  Adjusted everything, but need to road test tomorrow. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7656 on: 11 May, 2013, 11:25:45 pm »
Put up a curtain rail and curtains in my bedroom and assembled a couple flatpack bits.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

simonp

« Reply #7657 on: 11 May, 2013, 11:42:11 pm »
A floor onto a bathroom.

« Reply #7658 on: 12 May, 2013, 11:00:56 am »
Put up a curtain rail and curtains in my bedroom and assembled a couple flatpack bits.
Got a man in to take flatpack to dump and put up living room curtains.
I fettled low carb ice cream cake to repay this favour but we decided on manufacture that it was a bit too egg-y for him to risk (uncooked 2 eggs + 4 yolks) so he didn't even get cake :(

« Reply #7659 on: 12 May, 2013, 12:05:28 pm »
Fitted a £7.99 Hope Universal Handlebar Mounthttp://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23533 to my Magicshine Clone - Result!  Good riddance to the rubber bands.

Great instructions at http://faqload.com/faqs/bicycle-components/misc/magicshine-and-clone-better-bar-mount.

You do need to cut the groove but this was 2 minutes work with the edge of an old file.

The mount comes with 2 thicknesses of pad for standard and oversize bars.  A nice thing is that the thicker pads allow a brake cable to pass underneath the mount, i.e. between the mount and the bars, without pinching the cable.

Also the whole thing is far enough forward to allow my Garmin Edge 705 to easily slip in and out of its mount on my 90mm stem.

fuzzy

« Reply #7660 on: 12 May, 2013, 04:48:14 pm »
Not today but on Thursday-

7 panels, 2 doors, 3 edge/ corner fittings, 126 self tapping screws, 18 bolts, 4 rubber bungs and 2 1/2 hours.

Fuzzy can haz bunker :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #7661 on: 12 May, 2013, 04:59:15 pm »
We may need something such as that when we move house.Would you like to share details?.PM if you wish.TIA.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #7662 on: 12 May, 2013, 05:03:35 pm »
Found the service manual and threatened the church portable PA system with screwdrivers, multimeter and a healthy dose of blind ignorance. Plodded my way through the dismantle, troubleshooting, remantling sections without quite managing to electrocute myself.
The read the small print in the service manual which mentioned something about never letting the sleeve of the l speaker cable come in contact with ground. Swapped the speaker cables for some with non-metal connector bodies and hey presto it works again.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #7663 on: 12 May, 2013, 05:06:23 pm »
We may need something such as that when we move house.Would you like to share details?.PM if you wish.TIA.
Ditto- although the house move has already happened.
Is it long enough for a tandem?

« Reply #7664 on: 12 May, 2013, 06:48:53 pm »
fuzzy's shed seems to be an Asgard. loadsabikes showed me his (different model but same brand) when I visited a while back. I'm impressed, and planning to replace my collapsing wooden shed with one.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #7665 on: 12 May, 2013, 07:00:49 pm »
I can see the Asgard logo in the second pic but cannot find Fuzzy's model on the website

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7666 on: 12 May, 2013, 07:17:07 pm »
dismantled two-speed brommie wheel; fwiw the parts are of good quality but the factory build leaves a lot to be desired (insufficient/uneven tension in the spokes, no stress relieving, loose swarf inside the rim, dry alloy nipple threads etc.)

Chris S

« Reply #7667 on: 12 May, 2013, 07:22:28 pm »
More tandem fettling.

After 5600 winter/spring moar winter kilometers, boy did it need it  :o.

« Reply #7668 on: 12 May, 2013, 08:27:50 pm »
Got around to sorting out the low voltage detection circuit to protect the huuuuge capacity LiPo pack (made by connecting RC aircraft packs together - equivalent to 27,000 mAH @5V) I'm intending using for LEL. Now it's running my Garmin 705, to give a bit of a runtime test and also to run it down to check that the low voltage detection really does work. It appeared to do on test, but now I'm checking it under "real" conditions connected to the pack before heading on the road with it for the BCM600.

Despite my pack only having a storage charge at the moment, this could take a couple of days to discharge even with the 705 backlight on. I think it should run for about 8 days when fully charged and with normal backlight usage.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #7669 on: 12 May, 2013, 09:28:41 pm »
Been working on the Bike E that I acquired from Nicknack last week ... a bit of fettling and an exploratory spin up and down the road - excellent.   

Got caught out changing the gear and rear brake cables - the ones I had were waaaay too short - had to place a quick order for a set of tandem cables!   

Dilemma now as to whether I am brave enough to fit SPD pedals!

Rob

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7670 on: 12 May, 2013, 10:18:16 pm »
I switched the slipping cassette on the raleigh for a new one (it's a 12-25 - that "big cog" looks tiny :-\) and shortened it's chain to a more sensible length.

I also took the rear wheel off of the single speed with a mind to switching to lighter wheels, but then found out that the lock-ring is stuck firm. Instead I have switched the 35mm marathons for the less sluggish 28mm ones. Also discovered that both front pad holder bolts are rounded off and stuck fast so I'll need to work out hat to do with those next, but for now they are lined up well enough to work.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

fuzzy

« Reply #7671 on: 13 May, 2013, 08:34:48 am »
I can see the Asgard logo in the second pic but cannot find Fuzzy's model on the website

Mine is this one

It looks slightly different in the first imags as the open door obscures the fixed front panel. Scroll through the images attaced for a better view.

fuzzy

« Reply #7672 on: 13 May, 2013, 08:38:00 am »
Ditto- although the house move has already happened.

I don't know if it will fit a tandem. The outside diameter for the length of the unit is 6 feet.

This one however, is 6 feet 8 inches and may take a tandem.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #7673 on: 13 May, 2013, 10:03:58 am »
Thanks for that Fuzzy.Most helpfull :thumbsup:

Assuming you have qr;would it work with the front wheel removed?

« Reply #7674 on: 13 May, 2013, 10:18:39 am »
I don't have QR on the Dawes, although that's easy fixed. I'm also not sure a tandem is negotiable around my back passage (oo er missus) we certainly couldn't easily do the Longstaff last week so it may be a moot point.
I may need a SEEKRIT BUNKER.

Thanks for the link though fuzzy, there are, after all, all those other bikes that need sheltering.