Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2179369 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #9025 on: 01 April, 2014, 09:50:57 pm »
No, the Zefal Gizmo is a thingie which lets you fit an extra bottle cage to a frame.

http://www.zefal.com/en/bottle-cages/51-gizmo-universal.html
The one I fitted worked well. Bit of a fiddle, yes, and you need to get the right size. I've had bottle-cage mounts put in the frame now, as it was being resprayed, but I might use the Zefals for a second bottle.

« Reply #9026 on: 01 April, 2014, 10:07:47 pm »
I have one of the appropriately-sized ones, and I agree, it works well.

This is the universal one, and the fitting isn't quite as certain. Still, no disasters on a wee ride round the block.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #9027 on: 02 April, 2014, 09:56:13 am »
Bluetooth and Arduino and Android - awesome combination. With AppInventor you don't even need to write code for the Android side.
Bluetooth (HC-06 modules, about £5 on eBay) just drop in as a replacement for the serial port. Quality is legendarily bad so expect some units to not work and to be replaced, but when it works you can't believe it is that easy to have a smart phone controlling your gadget via your own custom serial protocol.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #9028 on: 02 April, 2014, 01:48:38 pm »
I can't find the 'I am not a smart man' thread, but this is probably appropriate for there..  I did my longest ride for ages yesterday - 60 miles in the spring sunshine.  I found it fairly hard going and couldn't understand why I was going so slowly, but put it down to a lack of miles and the winter insulation I'm carrying around.

Just been out to clean my bike and noticed the back brakes are not just rubbing to the point of stopping the rear wheel after about 2 spins, but one of the pads has moved up about 5mm so is rubbing on the tyre and has almost worn through it... And both tyres are worn right down and have dozens of bits of flint in them.

tyres changed, brake pads reset, bike cleaned, lucky stars thanked.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9029 on: 02 April, 2014, 06:51:18 pm »
And finished!

Audio amp, speaker, and correctly sized power jack fitted.  Finished and tested the fire alerter interface.  Now it's just a Small Matter Of Programming™

(And yes, it is that hot in here.  Bleurgh!)

Ruth

« Reply #9030 on: 02 April, 2014, 06:52:43 pm »
Will it be going on YouTube?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9031 on: 02 April, 2014, 06:58:14 pm »
No, it'll be going in the bedroom.   ;D

(I may do some video when I've written the software to make it be an alarm clock, rather than just light up the displays with test data, but it won't be very exciting to watch.  It's all about the vibrating pad.)

Ruth

« Reply #9032 on: 02 April, 2014, 07:07:17 pm »
But I thought this was going to be the Rod Hull one!   :(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9033 on: 02 April, 2014, 07:08:59 pm »
Ah, no, those are the other modules, which are still a work in progress pending various physical design decisions and another revision of the PCB.  All this will do in response to the doorbell is buzz the bed and say "d00r" on the big display.

I'll also need to design a wossname to connect to the doorbell itself at some point...

Ruth

« Reply #9034 on: 02 April, 2014, 07:09:43 pm »
Which is pretty cool in itself, I must say  :thumbsup:

David Martin

« Reply #9035 on: 02 April, 2014, 11:25:42 pm »
Pretty awesome.

« Reply #9036 on: 02 April, 2014, 11:29:19 pm »
You're amazing, Kim! :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9037 on: 02 April, 2014, 11:51:25 pm »
You're amazing, Kim! :D

Nahh, just willing to Have A Go, in spite of being a fairly mediocre programmer, and frustratingly crap at woodjbex[1].  You can achieve all sorts of acceptably good things if you're willing to be a bit crap from time to time.

[1] And non-dead-vegetable derivatives such as plasticjbex and metaljbex.

David Martin

« Reply #9038 on: 03 April, 2014, 12:11:17 am »
The art of programming is to be able to wrangle enough bits into things such that they work, and knowing when to make use of the superior wrangling powers of others.

And JFDI. It's not rocket science (unless you are TimO in which case it really is rocket science)

Much modern electronics is like meccano for grown ups.

And being prepared to release the magic smoke (and the engineers magic words) on occasion.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9039 on: 03 April, 2014, 12:57:53 am »
The art of programming is to be able to wrangle enough bits into things such that they work, and knowing when to make use of the superior wrangling powers of others.

Also knowing when to use Google, and when to save all your work and go for a bike ride.

I used the Raspberry Pi in order to make good use of an awful lot of other people's vastly superior wrangling (and some relevant code I've successfully pre-wrangled).  The weak link in our current alerting system is the primitive serial protocol I worked out to do the comms.  It works, but only transfers a few bytes at a time, and handles errors extremely non-gracefully.  I could re-invent the wheel badly, but better to pull in tested and familiar packages on the RPi to do all the heavy lifting, and write some high-level logic to control it all.  Much less to debug.

And JFDI. It's not rocket science (unless you are TimO in which case it really is rocket science)

Yeah, last time I did any rocket science they had a highly qualified EE postgrad (read: shit hot at terrifying maths, but had never used a soldering iron in his life) working on the electronics, so they put me on the parachute team instead.  That went about as well as could be expected...  :facepalm:

Much modern electronics is like meccano for grown ups.

This is definitely true of the digital side.  Know the relevant gotchas and you can mostly just stick things together (and with luck, do the really messy things in code).  All the pretty stuff in that alarm clock is simple interface modules hanging off an I2C buss, the real work was in the power supply (and that itself is cookbook stuff around a handful of standard chips), the fire alarm interface (fail safe relay logic) and audio amp (low-fi op-amp/transistor stuff).  I breadboarded and tested it in an hour or two, and put it together in an afternoon.

Measuring, drilling, grinding and filing the case, masking and painting the acrylic, and the endless hot-glue wrangling to hold it all together is what took several days, interspersed with a couple of evening-long hack sessions to write drivers for all the modules.  Both case and code are a bit shoddy.  But they'll do.

Actually, I think the real work on a project like this is all the time spent reading datasheets and trawling suppliers' websites for suitable parts.  Especially enclosures, which are almost impossible to specify in terms a search engine will understand usefully.  But it's mostly about knowing where to start.  Last time I started with the 16F84 because it was cheap and I was a Penniless Student Oaf.  This time I started with knowing what I wanted to achieve, and a list of things not to do.

David Martin

« Reply #9040 on: 03 April, 2014, 08:17:43 am »
The key factor here is not innate ability but experience which gives an illusion of competence by knowing what not to do. To misquote Conan Doyle, when you have ruled out the stupid, what is left must be the awesome.

« Reply #9041 on: 03 April, 2014, 08:41:32 am »
The key factor here is not innate ability but experience which gives an illusion of competence

It's a pretty good illusion of competence, though.

Thing is, I've read Kim's post. I understand all the words (well, apart from a couple, but google would help with those), and I'm no further forward.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9042 on: 03 April, 2014, 09:19:20 am »
And finished!

Audio amp, speaker, and correctly sized power jack fitted.  Finished and tested the fire alerter interface.  Now it's just a Small Matter Of Programming™

When you powered it up did it say "Good evening, Dave"?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9043 on: 03 April, 2014, 09:32:52 am »
good evening kim ? ;D
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #9044 on: 03 April, 2014, 09:44:57 am »
Kim, that's pretty awesome and you are a genius as well an an awfully good person.   

To have something bespoke meeting very specific needs is really priceless.

I love the retro sci-fi look to it as well.   :thumbsup:

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #9045 on: 03 April, 2014, 11:42:57 am »
And finished!

When you powered it up did it say "Good evening, Dave"?

It probably said, "Whatever you do, don't press the red button."

Aaargh - the temptation....

David Martin

« Reply #9046 on: 03 April, 2014, 11:44:01 am »
Where did you get the big red button?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #9047 on: 03 April, 2014, 11:55:08 am »

« Reply #9048 on: 03 April, 2014, 11:56:26 am »
It probably said, "Whatever you do, don't press the red button."

Aaargh - the temptation....
Don't worry. If you did press it, it would just say, "Please do not press this button again."

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #9049 on: 03 April, 2014, 12:23:58 pm »
Unless it invokes the infinite improbability drive that Kim has molished. It does have a teasmade capability doesn't it?
216km from Marsh Gibbon