Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2179061 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #11975 on: 03 April, 2017, 10:39:24 am »
We had a Liebherr fridge.   It was total rubbish and was replaced after not very many years.   The hotpoint just works.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11976 on: 03 April, 2017, 10:43:15 am »
I think I've finally managed to correctly align the beam of the IQ-X. Though I only did this when I got home, so it'll have to wait till the next night ride for proper confirmation.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11977 on: 03 April, 2017, 05:40:54 pm »
My wort cooler - a coil of copper tubing, for immersion in near boiling wort.

I've just run 5 gallons of tap-cold water through on a syphon basis it and cooled 3 gallons of wort from 90+ to yeast pitching temperature

The water coming out at the start was too hot to put your hand under.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #11978 on: 03 April, 2017, 08:50:19 pm »
I have fettled bodged the tumble dryer back to life.

The parts arrived last week (a set of carbon brushes which contact onto a couple of conductive bands on the outside of the drum ), so I set about replacing them this evening.

At the same time, I decided to track down the mechanical ka-DUNK ka-DUNK that happened every revolution of the drum, which was very loud.
Sounded like the drum was hitting something.

Turned out to be simple enough, but took a lot of stripping down to get to the problem.
The drum runs on a bearing at the rear, and the front of the drum sits on a pair of idler wheels about 4" in diameter, which run in a wheel track on the outside of the drum.
The wheel track on the drum had a couple of big deposits of hard-baked eek on it, which went over the wheels with a ka-DUNK.
Chipping this off and cleaning up the wheel track restored smooth and silent rotation.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #11979 on: 07 April, 2017, 11:30:14 am »
The nice Liebherr engineer reckons that the FF is working fine but the door has been open a crack and it's all frozen up round the back where the evaporator is. So I've to leave it defrosting for 48 hours and he reckons it'll work fine after that.

His colleague the boiler engineer then turned up as Mr Liebherr was leaving, serviced our Worcester boiler and warned me the parts are becoming obsolete, and then told me how much I'd be for a new one installed by them without even being asked, which is always useful info to have....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #11980 on: 08 April, 2017, 10:28:15 pm »
Service #1's road bike and finally got the odd sized motoris3x wheel properly trued.

Also fettled the 'yard' ready for alfresco dining.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11981 on: 09 April, 2017, 01:20:55 am »
The cable of my reacher snapped after visibly fraying for a while..
David attempted to replace this with a bike gear cable.
But the nipple was too large.

Helping Hand reachers supposedly have a lifetime guarantee, which might be a bit optimistic for  something with a cable.
David will have to trek to ye shoppe.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #11982 on: 09 April, 2017, 09:01:16 am »
Have just emptied the rear wheel, on the Renegade, of gunk. Fitted a new tyre and tube then have left it in the garden to get warm and stretch a bit. The previous tyre, tubeless, let me down towards the end of yesterday's 100, so I don't trust it. To be fair that tyre isn't a true tubeless tyre so I can forgive it. I have also learnt that I must take a tube with me....

I then went on to give the front pads a bit of a light sanding and apply some copper grease to the back of the pads.

Then I applied liberal doses of Febreze to my car upholstery and have left the windows down as the inside is smelling a bit of sweaty cyclists!

I now need to find the Aloe gel to apply to the sunburn that I got yesterday.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #11983 on: 09 April, 2017, 12:32:53 pm »
The nice Liebherr engineer reckons that the FF is working fine but the door has been open a crack and it's all frozen up round the back where the evaporator is. So I've to leave it defrosting for 48 hours and he reckons it'll work fine after that.

-32°C this morning  8)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #11984 on: 12 April, 2017, 09:11:19 pm »
Not so much today as over the course of a week or four, but ready for trimming as of this evening.  Not a bad result after nigh on 40 years since I last did this sort of thing.

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11985 on: 12 April, 2017, 09:18:53 pm »
Removed the winter tyres from the Reasonably Priced Mountain Bicycle and re-fitted the sensible ones.  This also involved removing a quantity of mud, and repairing a puncture due to having disturbed the excessively naff plastic rim tape (which promptly got the Realtek treatment on discovery of a spare roll of proper Schwalbe naff plastic rim tape while looking for a non-dried-up tube of rubber cement).

The rain started a couple of hours later.  Sorry.

ElyDave

« Reply #11986 on: 12 April, 2017, 09:44:07 pm »
Not so much today as over the course of a week or four, but ready for trimming as of this evening.  Not a bad result after nigh on 40 years since I last did this sort of thing.

That reminds me, I have a fuselage, wings and tailplane ready to cover, still needing to build the fin though

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11987 on: 13 April, 2017, 06:33:49 pm »
There was a broken wing of a somewhat larger plane just behind the goal line where I was playing football (or rather "football") with my son up on the Downs today. (One-a-side football on a full size pitch demands a level of fitness greater than a 200km audax!) Hopefully yours will fare better.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11988 on: 14 April, 2017, 10:47:02 am »

When they accuse you of doping you won't have a leg to stand on.  I have Camel waiting in the wardrobe to be built. It's more like 60 years since I built one. The Mrs gave me it several years ago but... I dunno.  Amongst other things, what put me off was that it's a semi-display model, neither flesh nor fowl, with a cheesy plastic pilot.  Flying it with would be, well, cheesy, but flying a biplane without one seems incongruous. Anyway, I don't want to be diverted from other projects.

Bikewise I put a new GP4000sII on a new-to-me wheel, fitted same to the Ti warhorse to spare my dyno wheel and got it ready for a toddle to the hyperglycaemia shop this afternoon.

Woodwise I ground the sole of my Stanley n° 5 a wee bit more towards flat - it's proud at bow & stern but I've an idea that in use it might flatten out: the problem is getting down there to look, Heisenberg, du Schwein.  Also unearthed an old mitre saw with a vague idea to converting it into a fretting saw, but it has a 1mm kerf and frets need about half that.  Might still manage a retrofettle, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #11989 on: 14 April, 2017, 01:47:28 pm »
cut the steerer once more, as four years on i'm pretty much certain i won't need the handlebars any higher. bike lighter by 14g O:-)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #11990 on: 14 April, 2017, 04:30:06 pm »
Fixed the not so slow p*unct*re, flat in 10min, that happened last year but after a good check found nothing when I got home after two top-up's on the ride. Put the inner back in and had to pump ever 2-3 days but finally got too annoyed and swapped inners. Pumped up the offending inner and will have look later if it is flat, couldn't hear and feel anything, just like last year.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

ElyDave

« Reply #11991 on: 14 April, 2017, 04:45:35 pm »
Did something similar myself, got to the shed and found a flat tyre on the front. Quick wheel change to my spare disc braked front, making sure no fouling of the fork an a quick hours blast a round the fens.

Checking the tyre when I got home, nothing obvious in the tyre, and the dunk test showed nothing until I got to the valve, which then reminded me that it had felt a bit loose last week. A pair of pliers later and its not leaking now.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #11992 on: 14 April, 2017, 05:07:37 pm »
Took the tube out of the rear tyre and refitted the tyre tubeless. Left it overnight, sans gunk and it lost no pressure, so I let all the air out, inserted gunk then blew the tyre back up. All is good, even after a 7 mile shakedown.

Lesson learnt. Don't go by what the Internet says and only use tubeless specific tyres! Previous tyres were Clements X'Plor, the new are Schwalbe G-Ones.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #11993 on: 15 April, 2017, 08:51:18 pm »
There was a broken wing of a somewhat larger plane just behind the goal line ....
Well what goes up will come down and sometimes it will come down really quite badly.  You have to accept that sooner or later a flight will end with crumpled pile of wreckage.  However that's the beauty of stick and tissue.  Even bad prangs cost only a matter of a few tens of pence and an hour or two to put right.  Not like this modern foam stuff which I can't begin to see how you would repair.  And if it's a total write off?  Well that's just an excuse to rebuild it better.

When they accuse you of doping you won't have a leg to stand on. ..
I know, I know.  I've been getting bad jokes along those lines at work from my cycling colleagues.  Agree with you about figures in any modelling context (aero, "airfix", railway).  For me they never work and they end up reinforcing the "modellness" of the thing being modelled rather than its "reality".  Gawd, that's a bit Grauniad for playing with toys, innit?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11994 on: 15 April, 2017, 09:15:08 pm »
Re-tightened a bar end after accidentally bashing it out of alignment with a rib.

« Reply #11995 on: 15 April, 2017, 10:24:51 pm »
Have you fettled the rib too?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11996 on: 16 April, 2017, 09:05:24 am »
It's turning an interesting colour, if that counts?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #11997 on: 16 April, 2017, 09:32:28 am »
Yesterday I bodged a temporary repair of a broken sofa spring using cable ties, which is holding better than I expected. I also moved the saddle and bars on the Raleigh, which has made it feel far more comfortable, and pumped up the very under-inflated tyres on my car which I realised I hadn't checked for over a year :-[
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #11998 on: 16 April, 2017, 09:40:31 am »
It's turning an interesting colour, if that counts?

Not broken I hope.  Borked ribs are a real PITA.   

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11999 on: 16 April, 2017, 12:40:12 pm »
Started rearranging my workshop to better segregate bikes and sawdust. There's a hell of a lot of stuff to move.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight